• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments FW 18

El QUaG

Reaction score
Haven in Canada released the Hoke One One Ultra Tor Low... only black/red available unfortunately. Simply Taupe and black/black sold out quickly (as to be expected)! They're doing a free delivery promo at the moment, use code: FRSHPNOV

Still shocked and how much hype was on this collab, when imho the SS18 Hupana drop was more interesting in terms of colours.

fvbmnk

Reaction score
They really have swung the other way after all the tight fitting clothes from last few seasons. Currently contemplating a field parka but this season they are much bigger - feel like they are almost into fishtail territory. Quite like them but it’s defiantly a different look - any thoughts on this seasons field parkas anyone? Tell me what to think!

I'm a collector, used to post here under a different name but I forgot my password for the other account. I've owned more or less every notable type of outerwear EG has ever produced and the fits for this season are reflective of the earlier years of the brand, particularly FW08 and earlier. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as many EG jackets in the early '10s were not at all true to size/were awkwardly placed between sizes, the most egregious being the SS13 Field Jacket with the deployable skirt. I think if they would just actually cut things true to size for once they would be better off.

Having sold to many, many different people over the years the one consistent complaint I hear is not sizing, but how phoned in the current outerwear is from a design standpoint, but then you come here and it seems like its endless praise and that Daiki can do no wrong. Who knows. Personally, I think the parkas get uglier every year and its insane to think you need to drop a full stack (!) to get a parka that looks uglier than everything from the FW11/12 golden years. He should just dip into those archives and re-release every kickass outerwear piece in newer fabrics. He'd probably have the most successful season in years.

edit: also I think the vans and hokas are great collabs for generating money. Smart move to capitalize on streetwear hype, but if people think current outerwear is the best theyve done or acceptable given past efforts you're on hardcore drugs.

alex99

Reaction score
Having sold to many, many different people over the years the one consistent complaint I hear is not sizing, but how phoned in the current outerwear is from a design standpoint, but then you come here and it seems like its endless praise and that Daiki can do no wrong. Who knows. Personally, I think the parkas get uglier every year and its insane to think you need to drop a full stack (!) to get a parka that looks uglier than everything from the FW11/12 golden years. He should just dip into those archives and re-release every kickass outerwear piece in newer fabrics. He'd probably have the most successful season in years.

edit: also I think the vans and hokas are great collabs for generating money. Smart move to capitalize on streetwear hype, but if people think current outerwear is the best theyve done or acceptable given past efforts you're on hardcore drugs.

I think the fact that this thread is 11 pages long in early November, compared to, say, the FW 2012 thread which was at 60 pages by this time of year, speaks volumes. I don't like to dis the brand because I am glad Daiki is still doing it at all, and there are always some great pieces, but it is nothing like the brand it was between 2008-2012 IMO.

In terms of the field parka, I have to agree. I have always regretted not picking up the 2011 version in Olive, which I believe was "peak EG".

DSCF9950-2.jpg

zunker

Reaction score
I'm a collector, used to post here under a different name but I forgot my password for the other account. I've owned more or less every notable type of outerwear EG has ever produced and the fits for this season are reflective of the earlier years of the brand, particularly FW08 and earlier. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as many EG jackets in the early '10s were not at all true to size/were awkwardly placed between sizes, the most egregious being the SS13 Field Jacket with the deployable skirt. I think if they would just actually cut things true to size for once they would be better off.

Personally prefer the parkas from recent years. Something about those from Fw11 or thereabouts that feel dated. Maybe it’s the amount of technical clothing around now, against which older numbers seem like a throw back (apart from the storm parka that I love). But I guess it’s personal - I came at engineered garments after getting bored of stone island and cp company so always liked a more technical feel that some of the new outerwear has. Having said that my favourite ever piece I own from eg is a heavyweight woollen Chester coat from years ago that i picked up on the bay. Mix and match!

zunker

Reaction score
I think the fact that this thread is 11 pages long in early November, compared to, say, the FW 2012 thread which was at 60 pages by this time of year, speaks volumes. I don't like to dis the brand because I am glad Daiki is still doing it at all, and there are always some great pieces, but it is nothing like the brand it was between 2008-2012 IMO.

In terms of the field parka, I have to agree. I have always regretted not picking up the 2011 version in Olive, which I believe was "peak EG".

View attachment 1065033
Again, I much prefer the recent editions to that one. To me it looks a bit cheap, although still nice.

*puts on helmet and ducks.

zunker

Reaction score

Trainers are absolutely hideous though. Bring back the McNairy collabs please.

zunker

Reaction score

View attachment 1065033
Also I wonder if the the number of posts on this thread says more about the rise of social media as a forum than EGS lack of appeal these days.

fvbmnk

Reaction score
I managed to go to NNY and I tried on the field parka in a large just to see. It was on my shoulders for about two seconds before the SA who was assisting me just shook her head. Tried on M and it was still ridiculously oversized, and I am about as much of a tts M as you can get. The collection looked cool as a whole, like a red version of that FW10 season Daiki did for WWM. Individually the pieces looked pretty plain. Heavy emphasis on casual jackets this time around, not much in the way of the classic Americana workwear/military pieces.

The other SA confirmed to me the collection across the board is looser, similar to FW07 and FW08 as influences. For sizing I'd recommend erring on the conservative side and sizing down unless you're absolutely dead-set on looking very baggy. I think the difference between earlier seasons and this one is that in the past, you were basically confined to a baggy look. Sizing down was very rarely an option because the fit of either your shoulders, arm length, or chest would be compromised even if you managed to get everything else right. Nowadays, you really have to size down. It's pretty strange and I'm not sure why they've done this given that it will have an impact on retailers and their ability to move stock in a traditional sense.

whereeaglesdare

Reaction score
I don't think you can judge the appeal of the brand based on the number of pages in a forum. As mentioned above it speaks more to the rise of social media and the demise of traditional based forums. If anything they are picking up more and more retailers. Their popularity in Korea is ballooning for example.
EG is definitely moving towards a looser more relaxed silhouette. They are following the market and what customers and retailers are buying.
There are always going to be people who have a favourite period of the brand. To me, it's a personal taste. I also find it refreshing that the brand is constantly evolving and changing. There is always something in each collection that piques my interest.

zunker

Reaction score
Ended up going true to size (medium) with the zip parka in double cloth. It’s a statememt but the next size down felt too small. I’m a big medium to be fair but measuring the zip parka against some older field parkas was interesting - the zip model has an extra inch pit to pit and is roomier in the sleeves but the arms were actually two inches shorter than my older field parkas.

drgs

Reaction score
Ended up going true to size (medium) with the zip parka in double cloth. It’s a statememt but the next size down felt too small. I’m a big medium to be fair but measuring the zip parka against some older field parkas was interesting - the zip model has an extra inch pit to pit and is roomier in the sleeves but the arms were actually two inches shorter than my older field parkas.
Compensated by wider shoulders? Try measuring from the center of neckline

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads