• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EG -> G&G - Lateral Move?

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
hey, it's a casual shoe
laugh.gif

obviously, i'm biased. despite of last shapes, heel heights and cuteness. my only concern is the rear part. as much i want a "full" heel counter on derbies and oxfords. for me it's sort of disturbing the balance on a "norweger". moaning on a high level.

I don't know I like both. Alden does there NST with both the full heel counter as well as the Vass / Reiter heel type. What is more important to me is the skin stitching that you see on the EGs which is rather perfect.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just curious. why did you opt for the top drawer version? actually, i had the pleasure to handle med's greshams to have trees made. the tree maker mentioned the quality of them, what's very seldom.
Believe it or not, I doubt I know enough about shoes to tell the quality difference between a Top Drawer EG and a normal EG. But i was told it had a better finish so I decided to get it.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Believe it or not, I doubt I know enough about shoes to tell the quality difference between a Top Drawer EG and a normal EG.

But i was told it had a better finish so I decided to get it.

this is too cute. carry on. thanks for the chuckle.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Burton
I don't know I like both. Alden does there NST with both the full heel counter as well as the Vass / Reiter heel type. What is more important to me is the skin stitching that you see on the EGs which is rather perfect.
preferences, preferences
laugh.gif
btw, i like the alden stitching.

ranker

Reaction score
Having a few pairs of both, I have to say that EG -> G&G is a substantial upgrade in my lay opinion.

However, I can understand if people are drawn towards EG's more conservative designs, but I don't think subjective opinion alone on the shape/design of the shoes should be an argument for EG -> G&G as a lateral move.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JamesX;4193220 said:
It is the Marston in TG73 Last.
ggmarstoncherry3.jpg

Gorgeous shoe

I bought the Arran...was unhappy with the crepe sole...got it replaced with a single leather sole and find it to be the most comfortable ankle boot that I own

Am looking forward to acquiring this Marston monk strap version.
inlove.gif

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
preferences, preferences
laugh.gif

btw, i like the alden stitching.

I like the Alden Stitching too, but both the EG and the G+G have the skin stitching on the Apron.

For Fritzl,

Alden without the "full" heel counter. The Alden is actually a very nice shoe.

P1010225.JPG

Look at the skin stitching on the EG, I love that.

P8205118.JPG

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EG top drawer? I think it is the best, check out this monk, the Palmerston.

DSC_00093.jpg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this thread has been great as i have been thinking about getting some g&g for a while, the info has been quite helpful, thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by droy
In general I agree, except the G&G Howe which I think is nicer than the EG Dover,...

Gentlemen,

I do believe you mean the G+G "Hove" I do not know of a "Howe."

I prefer the EG Dover, but it is really a bad comparison. Similar? Yes and of the same genus, but they are not the same shoe.

EG
dove.jpg

GG

hove1.jpg

There may be zero difference in leather quality and they may be sewn by equally skilled crafts people, but the G+G design lacks the gravitas of the Dover. The five eyelet design and the thicker skin stitching on the apron of the Dover create an effect that is much more in keeping with the style of the shoe. The G+G design is essentially too cute. IMO

funny, i am drawn more to the g&g of the two, oh well to each his own

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the Alden Stitching too, but both the EG and the G+G have the skin stitching on the Apron.

alright, i'm for the big picture and this is without heel counter.

besides, never liked the ghost stitching on the split. well, this is just a preference.

both of us are biased to the "learned" style, we grew up. on a random note: a friend of mine is looking for the perfect "norweger" since years. we both have the opinion that there are two styles in the shoeworld which are "difficult". the budapester and the norweger. it's minor details, but they are and we talk about them for hours, though. iirc, he's going bespoke now...

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
.......uses many leathers that are also used by many top bespoke makers like Bemer and Ugolini;

Originally Posted by Oyaji
I dont think that supplier's name is very reliable to tell the quality: they have good and bad leather......

Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
......I am talking about the exact same leathers they had in their swatches;

Originally Posted by Oyaji
Having the same samples does not mean they get the same quality, does it?

As a general rule, and that applies to all manufacturers of leather goods, it's not so much the actual hide, but what you cut out of that particular hide.

Every hide, due to the nature of the beast, has different qualities within, depending on the section of the animal. The best leather comes from the lower section (butt) to the left and right of the spine. If you go further sideways into the belly, the quality diminishes (the leather gets softer and flabbier) until you come into the belly proper, which cannot be used for fine leather goods. The same thing applies if you go higher into the shoulder and higher still into the neck.

hide.jpg

Then there are the damages to the skin, the animal acquired in it's life time: insects, barbed wire and worst of all 'growth', stretch marks and fat veins. Those damages are classified by the tannery: every tannery sells the same hide as first, second and third grade, depending on the number of imperfections.

Many manufacturers aim at cutting 'economical', trying to get the highest possible yield out of a skin, which inevitably results in inferior quality.

The quality of leather is decided on the cutting room floor.

Naturlaut II

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by droy
In general I agree, except the G&G Howe which I think is nicer than the EG Dover,...

Gentlemen,

I do believe you mean the G+G "Hove" I do not know of a "Howe."

I prefer the EG Dover, but it is really a bad comparison. Similar? Yes and of the same genus, but they are not the same shoe.

EG
dove.jpg

GG

hove1.jpg

There may be zero difference in leather quality and they may be sewn by equally skilled crafts people, but the G+G design lacks the gravitas of the Dover. The five eyelet design and the thicker skin stitching on the apron of the Dover create an effect that is much more in keeping with the style of the shoe. The G+G design is essentially too cute. IMO

Asthetically Dover is definitely the better shoe!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Naturlaut II
Asthetically Dover is definitely the better shoe!

i disagree, only to get your exposure. many thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads