• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edwards of Manchester shoe shop - awful service

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
Went in there today to look for Saphir cream as they advertise it on their website. Asked the guy there if they had any shoe cream and was told (rather dismissively) "no we don't do anything like that here, go back outside along the road there is a cobbler (does he mean Timpsons?), he might be better able to help you".

Ok so either their website is lying, or I got the distinct impression he thought I wasn't good enough and couldn't afford anything in his posh shoe shop. I know I look like a student with a backpack but I was dressed in casual-smart wearing my Crockett & Jones Pembrokes. As it happens I'm also looking to get a new pair of shoes, and if I had felt welcome I might have been tempted to browse and buy from them, but I think I'll be going back to buying from C&J's own retail stores in London where I've only had friendly eager to help service. :embar:

Of course this is only my experience, and you may have a different experience, perhaps if you look older guy in a business suit and tie. And if you are looking for Saphir - don't bother, apparently they don't sell them. :embar:

Last edited:

Michael Jones

Reaction score
I went in around the time you did and received terrible service also. Was looking for a pair of Weejuns, but they treated me awfully. Didn't feel welcome at all. Again, was wearing a backpack and looking pretty studenty.

Berners15

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you're ever in Norwich, Bowhill and Elliott London Street sell Saphir.
The folks in there are very polite
smile.gif

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think this experience is at all rare !! I think I may have written this before but I had a very similar experience. I went in one Saturday looking to buy a pair of Edward Green's in there and was basically treat ridiculously badly for what I would consider to be a "higher end" shoe shop.

Suffice to say they didn't get my money and I haven't been back on the premises since. The welcome, attention and service I received whilst trying very hard to buy a pair of shoes was nothing short of shocking. The "other half" commented that I had done very well to last as long as I did before leaving. I'm sure someone receives decent service in there but it sure as hell wasn't me !! I got the feeling complaining wouldn't have made an iota of difference so didn't, in hindsight maybe I should have ??

Needless to say other emporiums have received my hard earned !!

Stirling

Reaction score
I too belong to this club and certainly don't look like a typical student.

Needless to say there are more than just a few of us, hence Edwards no longer exists. They went bust 6 months ago!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads