• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I bought a pair of EG's from Axel's before. Great guys.

I am a size 10.5 / 11 D on the 202.

canon5dfan

Reaction score
Got a pair of Galways from upper shoes to treat myself! This was my first time owning a pair of such expensive shoes so I was very excited at their delivery!

Unfortunately I noticed two defects on them :( On the DOak, there is a very visible scratch on the right boot... I'm a little surprised it was there and am hoping the community can comment on it.

On my Redwoods the defect was less evident. When I went to remove the paper stuffing in my right boot I thought it was weird that it was empty since there was paper in my left boot. However since my DOaks didn't come with any paper stuffed in there I didn't really pay attention. But on a second check and whilst admiring the green lining,I noticed the bottom of the lining was loose (to my horror). I don't know how else to explain it but if you view the photos you can see the special green lining is not properly glued on?

Since the DOaks were a little big, I'm thinking of returning them to Upper Shoes... but I'm at a loss for the Redwoods. Do you think they can send me a new pair? Are both of these large enough defects to warrant a refund / exchange?

I would think so but since this is new territory to me I figured I get everyone's thoughts?

Last edited:

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^my simple input is this is your boot if you are not happy with it simply return it, if you are a ok with it & don't care for the defect then keep it. You are spending 1300+ $ you should be happy & loving the boot. From your post it seems like you are not thrilled about it so my recommendation is to return it. It's not like you can't do made to order again & get some thing you will be happy with etc.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your first pairs of Edward Greens!

The scratch on the Dark Oak would not concern me. A scratch like that will happen in the first handful of wears anyway. I drop of polish will blend it in and make it disappear. If the shoes truly are too big that's different. Wear them around the house on carpets a bit and verify. If they fit keep and enjoy them. Keep in mind a thin insole from someone like Tacco may help take up some space.

I'm not totally seeing what you mean with the Redwood pair. Is it that the interior vertical strip of suede is not attached the to green lining? I recall that being loose on a pair of Galways unused to own. If the actual sock lining at the bottom where your foot rests is loose then that is an issue, but a local cobbbler can likely fix it anyway.

Remember, these are handmade products. Perfection doesn't exist. Just be sure to enjoy them. They are lovely.

canon5dfan

Reaction score
Congrats on your first pairs of Edward Greens!

The scratch on the Dark Oak would not concern me. A scratch like that will happen in the first handful of wears anyway. I drop of polish will blend it in and make it disappear. If the shoes truly are too big that's different. Wear them around the house on carpets a bit and verify. If they fit keep and enjoy them. Keep in mind a thin insole from someone like Tacco may help take up some space.

I'm not totally seeing what you mean with the Redwood pair. Is it that the interior vertical strip of suede is not attached the to green lining? I recall that being loose on a pair of Galways unused to own. If the actual sock lining at the bottom where your foot rests is loose then that is an issue, but a local cobbbler can likely fix it anyway.

Remember, these are handmade products. Perfection doesn't exist. Just be sure to enjoy them. They are lovely.
Thank you!

I'm glad to hear that scratch is no biggie. It's more of a sizing issue as my foot tends to shift upwards when I lift my foot - doesn't happen with the 10s in the redwoods.

On the redwoods I'm talking about the interior green strip of lining on the bottom of the shoe. In the top right corner you will see it's curling up. I guess with all these beautiful pictures and all I've read about the quality of EGs I was a little horrified to find two defects on my first purchase lol.

Last edited:

ltjaw

Reaction score
It looks like you are talking about the piece of leather that extends from the heel to the mid foot. I find this piece is not attached at the same point on all of the EG shoes and boots I have owned. It annoys me, because it folds up when my foot slides over it while taking the shoes or boots off. But this seems to be standard for EG, and as mentioned above should be an easy fix for a cobbler.

Last edited:

Chowkin

Reaction score

On the redwoods I'm talking about the interior green strip of lining on the bottom of the shoe. In the top right corner you will see it's curling up. I guess with all these beautiful pictures and all I've read about the quality of EGs I was a little horrified to find two defects on my first purchase lol. 

That thing is a half sock lining. Any competent cobbler would be able to glue it back so no worries.

canon5dfan

Reaction score
Thanks gents. This is reassuring that it can happen and is a simple fix. Do you think upper or EG might cover the cost of paying the repair?

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks gents. This is reassuring that it can happen and is a simple fix. Do you think upper or EG might cover the cost of paying the repair?

They might, but any cobbler that charges more than £2 for fixing that is ripping you off. The Nevis that I'm wearing as we speak had the same issue when I got them, 2 minutes with some glue and there hasn't been an issue since.

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed this happens to a lot of my shoes too, especially after my feet have sweated a bit. I wouldn't worry about it at all--not worth the trouble.

canon5dfan

Reaction score

They might, but any cobbler that charges more than £2 for fixing that is ripping you off. The Nevis that I'm wearing as we speak had the same issue when I got them, 2 minutes with some glue and there hasn't been an issue since.

Oh! Wasn't aware it was that cheap lol. Alrighty then I guess I'll have to locate one in SF.

On a side note these shoes are so gorgeous that I have to remind myself they're to be worn
1f601.png

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh! Wasn't aware it was that cheap lol. Alrighty then I guess I'll have to locate one in SF.

On a side note these shoes are so gorgeous that I have to remind myself they're to be worn
1f601.png
I wouldn't imagine it would be much more, it's a very quick and easy job for them.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Just for the record; none of my EGs have a loose half sock liner. But I agree that it should be a quick fix and definitely nothing to return the boots over.

The scratch on the Doak Galway is really nothing as well. You'll get worse just by wearing them once.

You have some seriously nice Galways, @canon5dfan. Enjoy them!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads