• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SartorialSol

Reaction score

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestion on B Nelson. I'm going to call them today and see if they can help me
I haven't even heard of B. Nelson until both of your posts so thanks for that. Found plenty pictures of his work including a whole appreciation thread. Not worth it to send back to England now that I found a place on the east coast. 

Believe it or not, I called 20 cobblers in the DC area (MD, VA, DC) and no one does it - a few never even heard of sunken toe taps, only the black plastic ones. 

AH One is in Springfield, VA. And they definitely do sunken toe plates! ($65 on website) AH One is owned by Aram Hodikoglu, whose brother owns SkyValet. Aram is by far the best cobbler that I have found in the metro D.C. Area. He is very familiar with Edward Green, and the turnaround will probably be faster than mailing to B. Nelson. Good luck.

SartorialSol

Reaction score
AH One is in Springfield, VA. And they definitely do sunken toe plates! ($65 on website) AH One is owned by Aram Hodikoglu, whose brother owns SkyValet. Aram is by far the best cobbler that I have found in the metro D.C. Area. He is very familiar with Edward Green, and the turnaround will probably be faster than mailing to B. Nelson. Good luck.
Thanks! That's a game changer. Definitely going to check Aram out. I already know his brother after buying some C&J and Alden from his store in Georgetown.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Another vote of confidence for AH One Shoes - very good, I've lost track of the number of sunken toe plates I've had him install, probably upwards of 10-15. All my G&Gs, EGs, Cleverley RTWs, Lobbs, & Alfred Sargents.

SartorialSol

Reaction score
Another vote of confidence for AH One Shoes - very good, I've lost track of the number of sunken toe plates I've had him install, probably upwards of 10-15. All my G&Gs, EGs, Cleverley RTWs, Lobbs, & Alfred Sargents.
Saw your review on Yelp so your vote of confidence was already being counted haha.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
today

SartorialSol

Reaction score

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I doubt very much, that Jodhpur boot was made on the 89 last.

Take a look at these RLPL Jodephurs, according to the poster they where made on the 89 last, to my untrained eye they appear quite similar to the ones in black posted here recently:

the black one look more chisled,

I did pass through the Ralph Lauren store today, so I had a quick peek inside the boots in question:

That current crop of Jodhpur boots is made on last 888.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Thanks! That's a game changer. Definitely going to check Aram out. I already know his brother after buying some C&J and Alden from his store in Georgetown.

Aram is outstanding, cannot recommend anyone more highly.

+1

benf

Reaction score

Believe it or not, I called 20 cobblers in the DC area (MD, VA, DC) and no one does it - a few never even heard of sunken toe taps, only the black plastic ones. 

I'd concur with that. Of all the cobblers I've tried (locally), only 1 does sunken toe taps. Most have never seen it.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, sunken toe caps do look good, but are overrated. Firstly, they give an unnatural wear pattern to the sole - I know some will disagree, but wear at the front becomes limited when the shoe bends after the first few months of wear. Secondly, they add slippage to the front, and can be dangerous, and change the walk pattern. I know I`ll come into controversy with this view (and I have many shoes with them myself), but they are way over rated.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, sunken toe caps do look good, but are overrated. Firstly, they give an unnatural wear pattern to the sole - I know some will disagree, but wear at the front becomes limited when the shoe bends after the first few months of wear. Secondly, they add slippage to the front, and can be dangerous, and change the walk pattern. I know I`ll come into controversy with this view (and I have many shoes with them myself), but they are way over rated.

Let me be the first to disagree. They are not "over rated". They do exactly what they are supposed to - prevent excessive wear at the toe, which is a common problem for a great many people. If you don't experience this issue, that's fine. But pretending it does not exist for anyone just because it doesn't for you is.... odd. As for uneven sole wear resulting from flush toe tap? Do provide some examples. I'm sure I could provide plenty of examples of excessive toe wear resulting from NOT using toe taps.

If I'm going with a leather sole (more often I don't) then for sure I am going with flush toe taps.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jogo1984