• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Boots & Tweed

mr chorizo

Reaction score

An alternative might be to stick with E width & specify a full sock.

I had the "do I go down a width?" dilemma after I discovered that I had too much room above my foot in my 6.5Ds and had extensive discussions about the issue with EG's staff in the Jermyn Street shop. I was told that putting a full sock in would take out some internal space (obviously) but not as much as dropping down a width.

A decent shop should be able to loose-cut a full sock for you to try on, EG did loose cuts for me to take away and I tried them for a couple of weeks. A loose-cut full sock won't be exactly like the shoe with the properly fitted full sock because the loose one will be sitting on top of the existing half sock so the heel will be pushed up slightly more than it would be when the half sock is totally replaced by the full sock and you might feel some heel slip that won't be there when you no longer have the sock-on-sock thing going on.

I ended up sizing down a width and going up a half size in length (i.e. went from 6.5D to 7C). Unfortunately my first shoes in the revised size are summer shoes that were delivered in the middle of this UK winter so I haven't really worn them much. My initial impression though is that this size change has been extremely successful for me but it'll probably be July or even August before I'll know for sure.

- Julian

Thanks for the for the very thorough reply! Have a pair of narrow en route, fingers crossed.

cezinho

Reaction score
First pair of EG on maiden voyage, Nutmeg Cardiff. DOAK Piccadilly in the mail
smile.gif

I have this same shoe in 202 last and its one of my favourite, the doak piccadilly its also high on the list.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads