• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just back from a stroll up and down Jermyn Street. A little more clarity on pricing: MTO premium if you're changing color or type of leather (but not the last) is 150 GBP. Changing the last as well makes that 250GBP. So that's about 1,030 with trees (export price). Shell Cordovan adds 200GBP over all of the above, which would get you close to $1,800 (export, pre-Customs duty).

Before trying another MTO, I thought to get more acquainted with the 82 last. The standard width uppers fit phenomenally well. The arch may push just a bit too far forward, but I am hoping that some aggressive breaking-in will eliminate that problem. Leather quality and finish on black oxfords seems a tad better than some of the MTOs I got 7 or 8 years ago, if not so special as GG (which cost more today, and will be raising prices tomorrow).

Last edited:

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for you gents with suede boots/shoes that you've worn in well.

If you take a closer look at the picture I've just posted...you'll notice some elongated strands of nap on the upper. These are my oldest pair of Galway's and they experienced a great deal of wear. I believe that this has developed over-time as a result of my trousers rubbing against the suede as I walk. My question is...Is there anyway to remedy this? Someone had suggested using a sweater trimmer...but I don't exactly feel comfortable shaving my $1,400 boots. I've always taken a crepe brush to them after ever wear and have used Saphir Medaille D’Or Omni’Nettoyant...but to no avail.

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you take a closer look at the picture I've just posted...you'll notice some elongated strands of nap on the upper. These are my oldest pair of Galway's and they experienced a great deal of wear. I believe that this has developed over-time as a result of my trousers rubbing against the suede as I walk. My question is...Is there anyway to remedy this? Someone had suggested using a sweater trimmer...but I don't exactly feel comfortable shaving my $1,400 boots. I've always taken a crepe brush to them after ever wear and have used Saphir Medaille D’Or Omni’Nettoyant...but to no avail.

This doesn't really bother me, as I like my shoes showing wear. I'd also not want to mess anything up.

joeninety

Reaction score

run a flame over the suede and the worn parts/longer 'hairs' will singe off

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads