• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CFML

Reaction score
If instep is the major issuee andyou want the 202 and you are going the MTO route then you can also get an instep fitting to increase instep. They can do 1/16, 1/8, or 3/16 extra if you want. That also an option as an MTO. I do get some extra instep on my MTOs oxfords to get laces to close mostly all the way
First time heard about instep option.
Would you mind to write here more information about instep option?
Which is most higher option?

Thank you!

coldinboston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First time heard about instep option.

Would you mind to write here more information about instep option?

Which is most higher option?

Thank you!

Yes of course
The instep fitting will allow you to increase the instep room for the 202 (or any last) without changing the size of the shoes. So if the instep is too tight but width, length etc... are fine. Its the same as a PRET#1 on St Crispins.

You have 3,options 1/16, 1/8, or 3/16 of an inch. So the most is 3/16 of an inch which is 4.5mm. Thats a fair amount of extra room and should accomodate pretty much everyone except you have a very cavus ballerina foot. It does not change the overall size,width, or length.

If your retailer does not know about it (i think most do) talk to Steve at GF or If in Boston Andrew at Mr Sids as they have done that on all my MTOs.

As far as i know it can be done even at MTO level 1 (i.e you dont have to go to level 2 to do it). I am pretty sure i have done it on MTOs that were level 1

coldinboston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had that done for some oxfords, and while it technically stretched across the instep, it never felt right. Also, the laces kept wanting to untie themselves. It's better on the derbies (no adjustment, IIRC), but the pleasure is not there.

Welk yiu tried to make it work. Sounds like the other lasts just fit your foot better overall. You need to love the shoes if you are going pay that kind of money

NewStart

Reaction score
Same Idea

The more I wear the Navy Utah Galway, the more I love them - extremely versatile - summer or winter, rain or snow, office or country walk - they haven't ever let me down

Last edited:

GuidoTheKillerPimp

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the fit of the new 915 last? According to Leffot "Its toe box has sculpted sides and has been slightly extended from the 82."

Does that mean it has a roomier toe box, or that it's simply a longer last?

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Display at the London shop window in today.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing Farhad - I guess they have known stopped the sale 

Amazing collection - 4 Galways :D

No they did still have shoes on sale and a lovely pair of lovely pair of Alderley boots in black grained calf in size 9 or 9.5 not sure as I could only see from the window the shop was closed on Sunday.

JR Magat , lovely collection of EG's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads