• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are lovely.

May I ask how many wears this pair has had? The creasing looks minimal compared to other wholecuts I have seen.

Thank you sir! They have been worn 4 times I believe. I really like these a lot and a great substitute for a black shoe

Colonel Mustard

Reaction score
Thank you sir! They have been worn 4 times I believe. I really like these a lot and a great substitute for a black shoe

They certainly a good substitute for black. Sometimes a black shoe can lose its lines when not under lighting and these are a nice balance between smart and casual.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They certainly a good substitute for black. Sometimes a black shoe can lose its lines when not under lighting and these are a nice balance between smart and casual.

I totally agree. I wasn't sure how I would like them but they work so well with my wardrobe and I have 0 black shoes right now so this is a perfect shoe to substitute.

Rocking these today

michaelvl

Reaction score

Yes to few questions. The boot in my current size start snug but have decent toe room. On the shoes, both my pinky toes push against the leather. Plus on the shoes, there is space between laces as they never close completely.

Strangely enough, I have two boots and 3 shoes in 9.5 D on 82 last that I decided to keep after buying. However two shoes, black Malvern and black Chelsea, were really tight in the store, so much so that my left foot toes were bending. So, I did not buy those two shoes even though the dark oak colored Chelsea was among the 5 already purchased by me. So, same last and size but different experience. Mind you, all my purchases and trials have been in the last 6 months. So all the shoes/boots are on the new resin lasts.

My Galway's also sat looser than my other non boot Edward Greens. I was also told by Edward Green staff that country boots are made a slight bit roomier because they are made to be worn with thicker socks. My Shanklin's (202E) on the other hand are just as tight as my regular E.G. shoes, but these are city boots so I guess that explains the slight difference in fit.

I would be hesitant to have an MTO done in your situation. Ideally you would be able to try on various sizes (e.g.: 9.5E, 10D and 10C) and have a knowledgeable shoe fitter that knows his Edward Greens to judge how the shoe fits your feet and advising you what size to take. In the end you will know yourself which size is best for you by having tried them on and experiencing the difference in fit. If the fitter is any good he will explain to you how the shoe is supposed to feel at various key points of the shoe and he will also be able to feel by squeezing your foot if you foot fits the shoe correctly. Finding E.G.'s in D and E widths should not be that difficult to find in the U.S., I believe Brooks Brothers carry some E.G.'s in D widths and Leffot generally carries them in E widths. B or C widths will be very tough if not impossible to find in stores.

I made the mistake of building up a collection in the wrong size. For my first pair of E.G.'s I was fitted by a third party sales rep that knew nothing about proper sizing, I thought my size was good and later built up a collection of about 5 pairs in the wrong size. It has been and expensive mistake recover from. Don't make the same mistake, get sized properly in a store by men who know what they are doing. Sizing through a Brannock device in my opinion is not enough, it is a good place to start no doubt, but experiencing various sizes that lay close together and being properly fitted by someone knowledgeable cannot be substituted by asking sizing questions on a thread like this.

You just have to browse through the last couple of pages of this thread and you will be able to notice people wearing the wrong size, because they were sized by the internet, don't be that guy.

Last edited:

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I posted earlier about my first Edward Green MTO back in November - http://www.styleforum.net/t/291745/...ures-info-and-where-to-buy/23115#post_8184555

Just heard from my retailer that my second MTO pair had arrived, but I should not bother coming by to pick them up. Burnishing at the shoe tips was horrible and just all over the place and blotchy. Burnishing on the heel sizes was horribly done and wrinkled. I think whoever is at this workstation is just unskilled - the first pair I had done, the Westminsters, had the toe cap stitching burn as a result of the poorly executed burnishing.

I elected to go with a refund in this instance, even though I have not gotten either of my grail shoe designs.

I am struggling to understand how people can post about their nice shoes here. i am beginning to suspect many people with issues cannot be bothered to tell others about their experiences.

I will never even consider a pair of Edward Greens again. And just LOL at their MTO program. Two shoes ordered, and two duds received. Just a sloppy brand who has no dignity or pride in their products. How they can ship MTOs out in such poor shape astounds me.

Please share your poor experiences too. In before this only happens to me :slayer:

It is an appreciation thread after all...

Sucks about the MTOs but why not give them a chance to rectify the issues? I have found that no company is ever perfect but customer service response to issues may be the determining factor if I will continue to be a buyer in the future.

There have been some QC issues with product coming from EG recently. This coupled with the ever longer wait periods for orders to be fulfilled has me thinking that EG may be growing quicker than they can handle. I noticed that recently another online retailer (Leatherfoot) started selling EG, while Skoak has dropped them and LS had temporarily stopped selling them because of issues with getting product in a timely fashion. It seems odd to me that they would be increasing their customer base while having issues keeping up with current demand. I can think of @ 10 retailers online selling EG, and then their larger retailers (Brooks Bros., Saks, Nieman Marcus, Bergdorf... etc.) they may need to look at increasing production capabilities to keep up with demand.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got to keep the hopper full! With some dropping off you need to fill the top back up

In all seriousness though I do believe there are production issues. Most of us have all had rejections, delays and QC issues and we are a small subset

ThatGuy

Reaction score

It is an appreciation thread after all...

Sucks about the MTOs but why not give them a chance to rectify the issues? I have found that no company is ever perfect but customer service response to issues may be the determining factor if I will continue to be a buyer in the future.

I gave them a chance with my second pair of MTOs. This is why I'm disappointed.

I'm wondering why customers here would be so forgiving of shoe issues? Hermes and even LV have impeccable quality products in my experience. I read that a member here waited 10 months for a MTO and had to go back and forth numerous times due to QC issues with the same shoes. 10 months is unacceptable to me.

I believe Edward Green has too much cred.

Also, unlike other brands, I'm pretty sure EG does not check on the internet regarding customer feedback. I also heard bad reviews of their customer service in their London store. My colleague received a horrible MTO (don't know the model, only seen pics) where the leather doesn't look like it was lasted properly - was very loose and had no shape around the vamp area. Absolutely unacceptable. He was told that this is normal and fine. In essense "Get stuffed and wear them shoes".

We should be pushing for more quality control. EG are craftsman and the fact that they ship out SECONDS is astonishing.

Last edited:

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I gave them a chance with my second pair of MTOs. This is why I'm disappointed.

I'm wondering why customers here would be so forgiving of shoe issues? Hermes and even LV have impeccable quality products in my experience. I read that a member here waited 10 months for a MTO and had to go back and forth numerous times due to QC issues with the same shoes. 10 months is unacceptable to me.

I believe Edward Green has too much cred.

I understand that there have been some QC issues recently, but I can honestly say that of the 30+ pairs of EG that I have (Top Drawer, MTO, GMTO and RTW) I have ever only had 1 issue with a pair I ordered. EG forgot the toe taps on a pair of my boots. Otherwise, I have no complaints.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Oh nice Dovers... that's just rubbing it in.

Yeah, it may very well be recent issues, but still issues nonetheless. Hope everyone else has smooth dealings with EG. We oh good money so execution should be in line with what we pay.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh nice Dovers... that's just rubbing it in.

Yeah, it may very well be recent issues, but still issues nonetheless. Hope everyone else has smooth dealings with EG. We oh good money so execution should be in line with what we pay.

Thanks ThatGuy.... and I think it's unfortunate that they messed-up your 2 orders, and frankly I if I were in your shoes (LOL) I would probably walk away also. It's is very disappointing to wait 8/9 months to get a botched product. I have little patience for incompetence also. Besides JLP you should try Cleverley, they do some beautiful work.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MoosicPa-how are those khaki twill Galways working out? Have you worn them at all? Do you like them?

I am considering my next purchase or six. Cheers.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@MoosicPa-how are those khaki twill Galways working out? Have you worn them at all? Do you like them?

I am considering my next purchase or six. Cheers.

Thanks smoothie1, the khaki Galways are a great make-up. I wore them a number of times over the Summer and Fall, but they are really a warm weather wear. I saw go for it! :nodding:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads