• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tobiasfunke19

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of ordering a pair of Galways. They are going to be on the 202 last. I am hoping to get some suggestions regarding the make-up.

I want the boots to be hard-wearing and versatile. So something that I can wear to work (business casual), a leisurely walk in the park, to dinner and even the beach maybe. I really like the feel of the Delapre calf that they have been using. I am thinking a dark-brown or navy shade of the smooth Delapre calf (not the printed Delapre Utah) with a perforated cap-toe and Dainite sole. I prefer using the same leather throughout the boot.

What do you guys think of this? It is my first pair of Galways so I would really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks in advance.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of ordering a pair of Galways. They are going to be on the 202 last. I am hoping to get some suggestions regarding the make-up.

I want the boots to be hard-wearing and versatile. So something that I can wear to work (business casual), a leisurely walk in the park, to dinner and even the beach maybe. I really like the feel of the Delapre calf that they have been using. I am thinking a dark-brown or navy shade of the smooth Delapre calf (not the printed Delapre Utah) with a perforated cap-toe and Dainite sole. I prefer using the same leather throughout the boot.

What do you guys think of this? It is my first pair of Galways so I would really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks in advance.
I think the brown delapre in the makeup you describe would be quite versatile. I would not choose navy, personally.

AliMurtaza

Reaction score
I think the brown delapre in the makeup you describe would be quite versatile. I would not choose navy, personally.

Any comments on Burgundy delapre? I have a Dark Oak/Walnut and Roosewood Country Calf Galway with a Dark Brown all-calf leather Shannon on the way. I was thinking going with Burgundy Delapre for the next Galway MTO. Leffot has the same material on the Nevis boot.

Last edited:

tobiasfunke19

Reaction score
Which brown? The ebony (bitter chocolate) or the Chestnut?

The ebony is very close to black. If I go with that, then I will have a pair of boots without any of EG's signature burnishing. Is that a correct assumption?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

The ebony is very close to black. If I go with that, then I will have a pair of boots without any of EG's signature burnishing. Is that a correct assumption?
I was thinking the dark brown. I don't think it is that close to black, but...

I'm not sure if EG burnishes Delapre...?? You may want to check that. If you want burnishing, stick to the "antique" colors and crust.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In general delapre has much less burnishing than crust. If you want the burnishing then a dark oak galway would probably be best

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
width

width

width

width

Edward green 5 lasts

left - right: 64 last, 202 last, 82 last, 89 last, 606 last

Last edited:

CFML

Reaction score
Any comments on Burgundy delapre? I have a Dark Oak/Walnut and Roosewood Country Calf Galway with a Dark Brown all-calf leather Shannon on the way. I was thinking going with Burgundy Delapre for the next Galway MTO. Leffot has the same material on the Nevis boot.
Malvern in Burgundy Delapre

tobiasfunke19

Reaction score
I was thinking the dark brown. I don't think it is that close to black, but...

I'm not sure if EG burnishes Delapre...?? You may want to check that. If you want burnishing, stick to the "antique" colors and crust.

On the computer it seems that way. Maybe not. I will check that.

Yes they do burnish the Delapre as seen here: http://www.edwardgreen.com/shop/cardiff-7310.html

Also what do you think about the perforated captoe vs the conventional false toe-cap? I am picking non-printed leather mainly for the perforated toe-cap.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
On the computer it seems that way. Maybe not. I will check that.

Yes they do burnish the Delapre as seen here: http://www.edwardgreen.com/shop/cardiff-7310.html

Also what do you think about the perforated captoe vs the conventional false toe-cap? I am picking non-printed leather mainly for the perforated toe-cap.
Not EG, but I don't mind grain with a perforated toe cap.

But, for me, the Galway isn't a Galway without the faux cap toe.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads