• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MoutonBarton

Reaction score
I believe this part of the finish with crust leather, use a bit of reno to remove top few layers then re-polish and it should go away. If you email G&G they say the same thing as well. I've had this to some extent on both EG and G&G shoes. Whether such finish issues are acceptable on shoes at this price point is up to you to decide.
Hi Stevent

Sorry for the basic question as I am quite new here, when you said 'reno' , you meant 'renovator'? or 'renomat'?
Thanks a lot for the tips.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those of you with EG shoe trees... do you go for the D/E models or for E/F width when purchasing trees for your E width shoes? I've been shipped one of each from Skoak and I can't tell if the E/F width trees are actually stretching my shoes or if it just feels that way.

The E/F ones can be quite snug inside some E width shoes but most of mine are F and they fit well

Hi Stevent

Sorry for the basic question as I am quite new here, when you said 'reno' , you meant 'renovator'? or 'renomat'?
Thanks a lot for the tips.

Renovateur. Normally I wouldn't use reno on crust very much but it does get rid of a few layers of polish

You could also try moisturizing leather with something like lexol or bick 4 then a few layers of polish as that might help as well.

For me, it's more a function of whether or not it's a)burnishing or b)underlying leather. If it's just the top burnishing layer, then I have a much smaller issue re-doing it. It's if the leather was messed up that would give me pause for having the boots LT.

It's top layer that EG finishes on the crust. I got veiny leather from EG before and it's very different looking / feeling as it's in the leather itself

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re:this, I emailed EG and they were relatively unhelpful with their reply as follows:

Regarding you recent shoe purchase, a certain amount of natural marking of the calf skins that we use should be expected, this does not affect the wear qualities of the shoes. How much is acceptable can differ from person to person. We suggest that you consider these points and if you are still unhappy you need to contact the retailer who should be happy to help you resolve the issue, this may or may not involve them sending the shoes back to us, but this is the course of action you should take.

Kind regards
It is the leather, not the burnishing or "superficial patina". They are quite clear. I did not expect something like that from EG.

To me that is a Rejected shoe.

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no shortage of pictures of the classic walnut CC - Doak version on this board but this was too gorgeous of a shot not to share. It's a Galway Day.

willsgillen

Reaction score
It is the leather, not the burnishing or "superficial patina". They are quite clear. I did not expect something like that from EG.

To me that is a Rejected shoe.
Thank you all for confirming and the assistance... I've emailed the retailer back, so we'll see how it goes.

jokb

Reaction score
There's no shortage of pictures of the classic walnut CC - Doak version on this board but this was too gorgeous of a shot not to share. It's a Galway Day.

Looks great! Calling @RogerP to post his. :)

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted size advice. I have two Edward Green shoes, Chelsea and Hove, on the 82 last and D width. My size is UK 9/ US 9.5. I am eyeing a Dark Oak Galway from Axel's. I have read few comments that EG boots run larger and one should go 1/2 size down. Can anyone who has a experience of the 82 last for both shoes and boots comment on this? Thank you

I would stick to your normal size it should work fine even in boots.

Get your regular size. Axel's has a good return policy so there should be no worries. I suspect they would even hold the boot that is 1/2 size down pending your try-on and decision. They have always been great to work with.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a bummer man. Ironically I've only had this problem on higher end footwear like eg and G&G. Basically the hand burnish dries out and cracks. If there is no damage to the leather itself go ahead and apply some heat and friction with a clean rag. It's really that simple of a fix. I can understand your frustration; it's happened to me before

I have only had this issue with EG, and only at the heel. But only once was it severe enough for me to return them. Fortunately, the retailer accepted returns for refunds. As I recall, the brochure received with each new EG pair has a paragraph or two about this precise issue. Essentially it is explained away as not being a defect.

Before I returned my pair noted above I sent some pics to a very well known cobbler to get his opinion. In his judgment the issue was totally unacceptable for a shoe at that price point. But, of course, opinions vary ....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads