• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I've seen  a 50% of water and 50% of vinegar solution being recommended by some so I just wondered.

Hmmm. Interesting. I'll have to do some research on that.

Cant see what the vinegar brings to the party to be honest ??!! Vinegar is generally 5% solution of Acetic Acid (Ethanoic Acid) so effectively your diluting it down to a 2.5% solution. The Ethanoic acid does not react with Rock Salt (Sodium Chloride plus impurities) other than slightly dissolving it ??!! Warm/hot water would be a far better solvent to the rock salt effectively therefore cleaning better!!

Old wives tale ??? I stand to be corrected........

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Cant see what the vinegar brings to the party to be honest ??!! Vinegar is generally 5% solution of Acetic Acid (Ethanoic Acid) so effectively your diluting it down to a 2.5% solution. The Ethanoic acid does not react with Rock Salt (Sodium Chloride plus impurities) other than slightly dissolving it ??!! Warm/hot water would be a far better solvent to the rock salt effectively therefore cleaning better!!

Old wives tale ??? I stand to be corrected........

Maybe some people like their EGs pickled??? LMAO. Thanks for the detailed reply. Very helpful.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys.

I've seen  a 50% of water and 50% of vinegar solution being recommended by some so I just wondered.

Not sure about 50-50. But I do mix a small amount of vinegar in water to clean salt and grit from leather. Because your typical distilled white vinegar is a mild acid, I think less is more. Save the concentrated vinegar and the 50-50 mix for industrial projects and harder surfaces, like windows, bathrooms, and boats, and be gentle with leather goods. Cheers.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi guys, I e-mailed the leather guy at EG the other day and he just got back to me.

A little background story about this leather, from EG:

"This is original Ilcea leather from the tannery in Turin. This tannery has shut down now but the Ilcea name has been bought out by someone else. It’s ilcea who made the Heather Gorse (note from Leaves: this is why we probably won't see any more Heather Gorse). Edward Green will not buy Willow Grain again, so it’s a nice limited edition leather."

EG have enough stock for the following boots/shoes:

• Brandy Willow 10 pairs
  • Black Willow 15 pairs
  • Brown Willow 5 pairs (needless to say, not enough for a complete series/GMTO)

This is Brandy Willow:

I do not have any pictures of the Black or Brown Willow though. The Brandy is sublime though. Would look awesome for a country style boot or shoe. Dover on the 606, Double Leather Sole, Natural Sole Edge?

Last edited:

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Not sure about 50-50. But I do mix a small amount of vinegar in water to clean salt and grit from leather. Because your typical distilled white vinegar is a mild acid, I think less is more. Save the concentrated vinegar and the 50-50 mix for industrial projects and harder surfaces, like windows, bathrooms, and boats, and be gentle with leather goods. Cheers.

I can understand using "vinegar" solution on glass shiny surfaces subjected to water like windows bathroom surfaces etc as the acid component in the vinegar cleans/reacts with the limescale and thus no streaky windows as that's what the acid is doing removing both the scale within the water and any other cleaning products that may have been used. But to use on leather shoes only subjected to water, road salt and other normal grime I'm afraid mine is a no thanks. Why would I want to subject leather to even mild acids or alkali's is rather beyond me!! My Green's will be staying Green !!! :)

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Wow, that brandy willow Dover looks outstanging!!! Crap!

I have to say that I'm in.

Last edited:

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have a Last question:

Which other EG last has less volume along the vamp? I know the 888 is one. Any others? Thanks!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I really don't know if I can have 3 Dovers, though...

member2000r

Reaction score
Is willow grain in the same category as county calf and hatch grain? I feel it is a bit smooth to be a country style footwear in the picture.

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
Well I have been wanting a Dover for some time, but would prefer a darker brown. I don't suppose if we got as many as 10 or 12, EG would consider an "all Willow" GMTO using both Brown and Brandy?
That would be a really good idea. I am in. I just do not know what? Falkirk 202? Nevis 606? C'mon people throw your ideas.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Is willow grain in the same category as county calf and hatch grain? I feel it is a bit smooth to be a country style footwear in the picture.

It doesn't have as much "grain" as CC and hatch.

member2000r

Reaction score

It doesn't have as much "grain" as CC and hatch.
Thanks, so shall I view it as smooth version of pebble grain?

BTW, I am in for a Dover in Brown over Brandy. It looks quite like whiskey which I have a loafer in.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads