• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually saw the EG Weymouth (the u-tip adelaide) on sale at Saks in what I think looked like the chameleon/cloud color (whichever is the darker one) - I didn't like it. It was a sort of a flat grey color.

unipair guy

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If they have the materials in stock then it should be six months. If they don't have at this time it could be a little longer.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually saw the EG Weymouth (the u-tip adelaide) on sale at Saks in what I think looked like the chameleon/cloud color (whichever is the darker one) - I didn't like it. It was a sort of a flat grey color.

Cloud is darker and it definitely needs some additional layers of wax before a nice depth develops.

Although my heart is with EG, I do have concerns when I delve into their "novel" colors. The shoes that I own that are made with traditional colors (e.g., dark oak, burgundy) hold the color better on the leather than the fancier colors (e.g., slate, cloud, midnight, twilight). I've had shoes where the dye "rubbed off" the tongue where the laces are pressed (and I assume cause friction when moving) to the point where the natural color of the leather shows, or when I use cleaners like Reno. I've never used RenoMat on the fancy colors for fear of stripping the dye!

I think this is a sign for me to stick to the basics. I know this is the nature of crust leather but I wonder if the newer (and most of them, lighter) blends just don't hold to the leather...

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cloud is darker and it definitely needs some additional layers of wax before a nice depth develops.

Although my heart is with EG, I do have concerns when I delve into their "novel" colors. The shoes that I own that are made with traditional colors (e.g., dark oak, burgundy) hold the color better on the leather than the fancier colors (e.g., slate, cloud, midnight, twilight). I've had shoes where the dye "rubbed off" the tongue where the laces are pressed (and I assume cause friction when moving) to the point where the natural color of the leather shows, or when I use cleaners like Reno. I've never used RenoMat on the fancy colors for fear of stripping the dye!

I think this is a sign for me to stick to the basics. I know this is the nature of crust leather but I wonder if the newer (and most of them, lighter) blends just don't hold to the leather...

Its interesting that you mention the "rubbing off," because I was thinking as I held those shoes whether the typical creasing above the toe box would be magnified or brighter than the rest of the leather. It didn't have the natural leather tones that I like in EG's brown shades.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The old London Lounge special edition Windsor would be a cool group MTO as well, but I like the adelaide on the Weymouth.

unipair guy

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The old London Lounge special edition Windsor would be a cool group MTO as well, but I like the adelaide on the Weymouth.

This is one of the most interesting models in my opinion. It may not be for everyone but very striking.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd be in if they are on the 202 with double leather or HAF soles.....

202 does not work for me - I cannot wear that last (which also excludes the 606). I would consider the 82, but quite honestly the chiseled effect of the 888 is most appropriate to me.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have did two last year and the longest wait was six months the shortest was ~4.

Were these MTOs on one of the two "standard" lasts available for the shoes you were ordering? Perhaps this is the difference as I nearly always request a non standard last or a special leather, sole or welt.

I haven't ordered as many EGs in the last 1.5 years as I am focused on bespoke now, but of the 5 MTOs I received during this time only one pair arrived anywhere near 9 months in time. Maybe I've been unlucky.

Last edited:

cwh812

Reaction score

Were these MTOs on one of the two "standard" lasts available for the shoes you were ordering? Perhaps this is the difference as I nearly always request a non standard last or a special leather, sole or welt.

I haven't ordered as many EGs in the last 1.5 years as I am focused on bespoke now, but of the 5 MTOs I received during this time only one pair arrived anywhere near 9 months in time. Maybe I've been unlucky.

I think your size and last also may be a factor. I imagine if you are on the most popular size and the most popular last your wait time might be a little longer. I also think it is dependent upon which retailer you go through (to some extent). I ordered a pair of top drawer shoes (my first) in early Nov. I was quoted 4 months which is by far the shortest I've been quoted. We'll see if they arrive in that time frame. Since 2009 I'd say the average has been 6-7 months for me with the low end being 5 months and the high end being 9 months.

Looking to improve

Reaction score

The 82 is also intriguing but not sure how that last would work with the u-tip.
U-cap on 82 last, coincidentally also Weymouths, albeit without medallion:
I took a picture of a Weymouth on the 82 last next to a Chelsea on the 202 last so you could see the differences for yourselves. I think shoes on the 82 last look a bit more elegant, although I still like those on the 202 last. I apologise in advance for not too fantastic picture quality. I don't have a digital camera, and so had to scan regular pictures. Chelsea (above) and Weymouth, both in Dark Oak Antique:
737cf2d4.gif
The Weymouths as seen from above:
bb692f4b.gif
Seen from different angles:
95da07fa.gif
Side view:
a7b9a2a7.gif
All in all, I'm very, very happy with the end result
smile.gif
MtB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads