• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Over the past couple months I've been hunting on eBay for classic and vintage -- or, if you prefer, used and cheap :) -- EGs to fit my narrow US 11 size and my limited budget. If anyone is interested I can post a few photos over the next week.
Today, EG for Paul Stuart on the 202 last. A bit boring, but the leather and workmanship is outstanding. (And please excuse the crappy iphone camera.)

AHS
PS -- And please let me know if you have narrow US 11s to sell or trade.

Thanks for the comments. As for the cuffs.... 2"!
Today’s EGs: another vintage pair for Paul Stuart on the 202 last. This time, in suede….

More to come next week.
AHS

Today's offering -- and I promise to end this Wednesday! -- is a vintage pair of EGs for Carroll & Co. My size (11 B), and once again on the 202 last. I believe these are all the Malvern model?

Gave them a quick cleaning, but will do a more thorough job before spring arrives.

AHS

Last edited:

jaythejet

Reaction score

Will EG ship out a sale shoe like the Galways? Or do I need to go to the store to get the sale price?

sadly, the latter. but I went to the store a week and a half ago and the sale selection was MINIMAL and average at best. you aren't missing out on much my friend

kal249

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've been buying EG's for about 5 years now and have spent about £15,000 all in all. I live close to the factory and have made regular visits there, BUT..............As of last week I've will not buy another EG EVER AGAIN. They are well made and beautiful but £800 (MTO) for a gemmed shoe with approximate fit is just robbery. I used to be a die hard EG fan and have defended them in these pages once or twice but believe me not only are the shoes simply not worth it in terms of workmanship they are not worth the extra over say, a C&J or Sargent shoe. The way they now treat their customers is abysmal you just have to spend a minute at their Jermyn st store to realise that. They really are not worth it, save up the extra for bespoke or buy a C&J, Alfred Sargent or even Trickers. I used to think that DWFII was a nutcase but he was absolutely right these makers are short changing their customers.

I've just received my first bespoke G&G shoe (split toe) and the fit and finish are sublime, worth the extra in my opinion. I'm a UK8E in every RTW shoe but the fit of this bespoke shoe is just a revelation! All this nonsense about the cork foot bed etc is just that. They tell you this rubbish because they need to cover mass production shortcuts. I just wish they were just honest, it is a second grade product.
Edward Green are simply are rip off, their shoes are nice (otherwise I wouldn't have bought so many!) but they are not worth 8 or 9 hundred quid. I would rather buy a bespoke suit instead of 2 pairs of EG.

michaelvl

Reaction score
^ Wow a £15K E.G. MTO collection, would love to see some pictures of them, please share.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi everyone
I've been buying EG's for about 5 years now and have spent about £15,000 all in all. I live close to the factory and have made regular visits there, BUT..............As of last week I've will not buy another EG EVER AGAIN. They are well made and beautiful but £800 (MTO) for a gemmed shoe with approximate fit is just robbery. I used to be a die hard EG fan and have defended them in these pages once or twice but believe me not only are the shoes simply not worth it in terms of workmanship they are not worth the extra over say, a C&J or Sargent shoe. The way they now treat their customers is abysmal you just have to spend a minute at their Jermyn st store to realise that. They really are not worth it, save up the extra for bespoke or buy a C&J, Alfred Sargent or even Trickers. I used to think that DWFII was a nutcase but he was absolutely right these makers are short changing their customers.
I've just received my first bespoke G&G shoe (split toe) and the fit and finish are sublime, worth the extra in my opinion. I'm a UK8E in every RTW shoe but the fit of this bespoke shoe is just a revelation! All this nonsense about the cork foot bed etc is just that. They tell you this rubbish because they need to cover mass production shortcuts. I just wish they were just honest, it is a second grade product.
Edward Green are simply are rip off, their shoes are nice (otherwise I wouldn't have bought so many!) but they are not worth 8 or 9 hundred quid. I would rather buy a bespoke suit instead of 2 pairs of EG.

Enjoy your new shoes. Talk to you later. :thumbs-up:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sadly, the latter. but I went to the store a week and a half ago and the sale selection was MINIMAL and average at best. you aren't missing out on much my friend

Anyone know how much Shannons are going for at the EG shop (if they have the size stocked)? If not, they would then have to be MTO, right? How much more would that cost?

Last edited:

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those green ones are amazing
I recently got myself a pair of similar Galways on the 82 last
I got an 8UK, but F width. Very comfortable fresh out of the box, even with thick winter socks
Im tempted to get another pair, but I was wondering how much narrow the E and D widths are respectively? Could I get away with the same size?
I'd hate to size up: the toe box is the perfect length
Any advice much appreciated

If you have the F width then you will need to size to a 8.5 if it is an E width, I have two pairs of the Galways in size 8 F but with the 82 E last I had to size up to 8.5, I do not think you will get away with the same size on the E width.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi everyone

Thank you for sharing your views but I have been wearing EG's for over 20 years and thankfully have never had a problem. I was treated very well when I visited the Jermyn street shop last week and whenever I have visited them previously. Please can you share some pictures of the EG shoes you have and specially the G&G ones as I am thinking of buying my first pair of shoes from them.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today's offering -- and I promise to end this Wednesday! -- is a vintage pair of EGs for Carroll & Co. My size (11 B), and once again on the 202 last. I believe these are all the Malvern model?

Gave them a quick cleaning, but will do a more thorough job before spring arrives.
AHS

Very nice. Yes, that is the Malvern. I think that the spectator version is commonly referred to as the Malvern II or III.

I know that it is subjective, but for balmoral (or oxford) shoes, I really prefer the "bar lacing" (ie laces that go straight across over the top of the eyelets) style - which you've used on the first pair of black wingtips you photographed - rather than the criss-cross, under-over lacing style. The latter is fine on bluchers, but just jars with me on balmorals.

Fiddler

Reaction score
If you have the F width then you will need to size to a 8.5 if it is an E width, I have two pairs of the Galways in size 8 F but with the 82 E last I had to size up to 8.5, I do not think you will get away with the same size on the E width.

Hi you seem to be just the guy who can advise me.

I wear an 8.5E in EG and I must say it is near perfect. I cannot imagine even bespoke getting much better in terms of a fit.

But for an F width, would you strongly suggest sizing down by a half to 8F?

Can you comment on the difference in actual shoe width between an EG E width and F width?

Cheers

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members