• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lurker33

Reaction score
Hello, I am almost ready for my first pair of Dover. I will apreciate sizing help, I live in Perú and returning shoes to UK due to sizing issues is a nightmare.

I use C&J in 325 and Church’s in 173 lasts both in 10.5UK in medium width. I wonder if Edward Green’s 202 will be the right last for my feet.

Thank you.
medium width? You mean standard E width? Half up from C&J 325 would be the general recommendation and has worked for me. I like the fit of 202 better, but both are roomy enough.

jellyroller

Reaction score
Hello, I am almost ready for my first pair of Dover. I will apreciate sizing help, I live in Perú and returning shoes to UK due to sizing issues is a nightmare.

I use C&J in 325 and Church’s in 173 lasts both in 10.5UK in medium width. I wonder if Edward Green’s 202 will be the right last for my feet.

Thank you.

I think the consensus here will be for you to take 11UK in Edward Green 202.

jellyroller

Reaction score
I've been on a self-imposed shoe buying hiatus, but a grail came on eBay lightly used in my size... so whaddya gonna do?

Edward Green Dover in antique redwood on 606. These are (to my eye) some of the most beautiful shoes I've ever seen. I took pictures of them in different lighting but the pictures don't really do justice to their depth of color / glow.

There's no part of me that regrets pulling the trigger on these!

IMG_3557.JPG
img_3558-jpg.2219965
IMG_3559.JPG
IMG_3560.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3558.JPG
    IMG_3558.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 154

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been on a self-imposed shoe buying hiatus, but a grail came on eBay lightly used in my size... so whaddya gonna do?

Edward Green Dover in antique redwood on 606. These are (to my eye) some of the most beautiful shoes I've ever seen. I took pictures of them in different lighting but the pictures don't really do justice to their depth of color / glow.

View attachment 2219963
img_3558-jpg.2219965
View attachment 2219967 View attachment 2219969

A great classic and, you're right, among the most beautiful RTW shoes available.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was first getting into higher end footwear, I didn’t really get the hype surrounding the Dover on SF etc. I thought they were odd, old man looking. Now, four pair of Dovers later, I’m a changed man

It's certainly an iconic style, as well as the Galway boot, and exudes exquisite relaxed elegance. There are smarter examples of a split toe derby in bespoke footwear for sure, but the Dover is such a great, timeless design.

Screenshot (2049).png

shoefan57

Reaction score

Thank you.
Yes it would be a good last for you. I take the same size in the 325, 173 and the 202.

BlueSteel

Reaction score

View attachment 2219963
img_3558-jpg.2219965
View attachment 2219967 View attachment 2219969

Lovely - congrats! I happen to have the same pair on the same last (which is a fave of mine):

Edward Green Dover 10.5UK (2).jpg

jellyroller

Reaction score
Lovely - congrats! I happen to have the same pair on the same last (which is a fave of mine):

View attachment 2220109

I have EGs on the 202, 606, and 888 lasts (I’d like to get a pair on 82 - maybe Galway or Chelsea) and like the 606 the most.

All of my Dovers are on 606. I think the last particularly suits the Dover but can’t put my finger on why. Perhaps a more knowledgeable board member could help put that into words for me.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
I took a gamble and bought the F fit as well, in snuff suede. Love the shoe and think it is great for casual wear especially. On sizing though I usually wear 8.5E in Crockett and jones which fits great but I do have very slightly wide feet (eg, Crockett 367 is tight for me on the toes). With 8.5/9F here the forefoot is fine but I surprisingly am experiencing some heel slip. Does that tend to go away with some wear as the sole becomes more pliable? I suppose I could always try heel guards or may just have to move them on.

Just to follow up on this - and at risk of repeating myself on advice I've previously given on SF - the single cheapest and possibly effective solution for slightly ill-fitting shoes is just to try different socks.

This new pair of EG Harrows I first tried with a pair of lovely dress socks I bought in an order from Mes Chausettes Rouges. Slight (but acceptable) heel slippage on both feet.

Tonight I re-tried them with a different pair of dress socks I ordered from Mes Chausettes Rouges - a pair with with a slightly heavier/denser and more textured weave to them.

Boom - on both feet the heel slippage was reduced at least 50%. A whole lot better...nearly perfect.

Honestly guys, before you go off investing in cobblers and modifications to your shoes - or even returning purchased shoes - just try different socks!!! I have found this to be a much cheaper and effective way to address minor fitment imperfections.

(Can work the other way too...I have a pair of Vass shoes that I almost gave up on because they were uncomfortably tight on me. I bought a superfine pair of Italian-made dress socks, and it dawned on me to try them in the Vass shoes. Boom - the shoes fit snug but no longer uncomfortable, and I started wearing the shoes with these socks. Beautiful shoes that cost $600 saved by pairing them with $30 dress socks!)

Last edited:

BlueSteel

Reaction score
All of my Dovers are on 606. I think the last particularly suits the Dover but can’t put my finger on why. Perhaps a more knowledgeable board member could help put that into words for me.
Dovers on 606 rule! All of mine are 606 too. After the first pair, I knew they just worked for me on that last.

Edward Green Dovers 2.jpg

shoefan57

Reaction score
I have EGs on the 202, 606, and 888 lasts (I’d like to get a pair on 82 - maybe Galway or Chelsea) and like the 606 the most.

Whilst the 606 last fits me badly, I agree that the Dover looks best on this last. I think it is because there is something about the seams on the nose of the shoe; the blind toe seam and the end of the pie crust seam, that suit a blunt soft square toe shape. But it’s all subjective of course.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst the 606 last fits me badly, I agree that the Dover looks best on this last. I think it is because there is something about the seams on the nose of the shoe; the blind toe seam and the end of the pie crust seam, that suit a blunt soft square toe shape. But it’s all subjective of course.

I also prefer the Dover on the 606 last, but can't say that it looks bad on the 202.

Dover_606_DKOCALF_add2_1.jpg

Dover_UL_202_brown-london-grain_addB.jpg

By the way, do you feel that the two lasts fit differently?

Featured Sponsor

"Movie Stills" Challenge: VOTE

• PSB

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Clouseau

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Kaplan

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Calypso

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Lupin 3

Votes: 6 18.8%