• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lee1234

Reaction score
I have a pair of Galway in burgundy Delapre leather. I'm not quite happy with how they look currently (through my own doing) as I have used Saphir wax on the toe cap and cream on the rest of the shoe which has produced an almost plasticky shine on the toe cap.

If I wanted to get the shoes back to an almost matte shine like they were when I purchased them, what would be the best course of action. Saddle soap or renomat perhaps? I also would like to get rid of some of the black scuffs on the leather.

Just wondering if people treat Delapre differently than normal calf leather. I believe the tannery steep delapre leather in oils during the tanning process so I wondered if using any of the cleaning products mentioned could ruin the finish? Thanks in advance.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This. I am at 24 not counting sneakers and will probably add a few more. I do think I would rather trim the collection down to 6 - 10 though. Nicer to use nicer footwear more than have a lot of nice footwear you hardly use.

I won't concur on this, I think there’s not such a thing like too many shoes.
If it's true that you would come off with few pairs (maybe 6 could be the minimum), there are so many styles, leathers and colours for not wanting to limit your choices.
Moreover, the more pairs you have, the less you wear them and the longer they will last.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This. I am at 24 not counting sneakers and will probably add a few more. I do think I would rather trim the collection down to 6 - 10 though. Nicer to use nicer footwear more than have a lot of nice footwear you hardly use.

Absolutely agree with the point (though the numbers would be tough). I’m sure 25 is a random number but it does feel like a good benchmark. I’m slightly above that and would ultimately like to be around 10 or so. Covid/WFH just doesn’t make owning so much fine footwear practical. And given my proclivity towards shell, specifically, aged well cared for shell, having so many these days just doesn’t provide the opportunity to put meaningful miles on many. I just really like my collection right now and have no desire to get to 10 at the moment.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely agree with the point (though the numbers would be tough). I’m sure 25 is a random number but it does feel like a good benchmark. I’m slightly above that and would ultimately like to be around 10 or so. Covid/WFH just doesn’t make owning so much fine footwear practical. And given my proclivity towards shell, specifically, aged well cared for shell, having so many these days just doesn’t provide the opportunity to put meaningful miles on many. I just really like my collection right now and have no desire to get to 10 at the moment.
He he I might be at the same mind set as you actually. I know I have too many but I also do like looking at all of them. I’ve also been told it’s not against the law to have that many shoes and boots, but if this forum were about a collection of wives, well then I may really have a problem. 🤣🤦🏽‍♂️

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is an example of where I’d like to be. 19 total so that I don’t have to rotate and everything fits in this space, including the roughly 15 pairs of boots. Given that the boots only fit on the top rack, an ideal number would be 7 boots max and 12 shoes. As I type this the voice in my head keeps saying ‘geez, how hard can that be’ but the reality is I just don’t see it happening for a few years. I’m likely 1-3 years from retirement and I just don’t see me hitting my target before that happens. IMG_3263.jpeg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see @DorianGreen's point about the various styles and leather options, but I agree with the action of using your nicer footwear as much as possible. Simply, maximize utilization is what I'd strive for.

At 25 pairs, you'd have the opportunity to rotate & use without the risk of neglecting. If you have too many pairs of shoes sure they last longer and remain pristine, but no question some shoes just fall out of rotation thereby making them expensive placeholders.

@Shawnc mentioned the lack of practicality in owning certain styles which is right for many folks. Speaking for myself, I own many many pairs of Oxfords. If I'm WFH or my employer no longer deems corporate wear necessary (or optional), all those beauties become redundant and surplus to requirements.
Basically I'm stuck with decorative collector pieces.

At 25, I could probably rotate every 4 days between formal wear and casual wear without concern of ruining the pairs (90 wears on a given pair within a year). Depending on how hard I wear those 25 pairs, I could be looking at recrafting in 6 or 7 years.

Last edited:

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Oops, where does this benchmark come from? I’m close to the 50 mark (despite recent sales on second hand platforms) and still diligently eying private sales at EG, C&J et al 😬😬😬

I am well above 70. Collection includes 25+ EGs, multiple Ferragamos, , Lobbs, C&J and Aldens. Have to do an inventory count soon.

I do think I have too many shoes but then last week I bought EG Dark Oak Dovers!

If i was starting all over again, I would shoot for 25, be selective to be able to wear each pair more often.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I am well above 70. Collection includes 25+ EGs, multiple Ferragamos, , Lobbs, C&J and Aldens. Have to do an inventory count soon.

I do think I have too many shoes but then last week I bought EG Dark Oak Dovers!

If i was starting all over again, I would shoot for 25, be selective to be able to wear each pair more often.

That’s impressive. Andrew Portnoy used to have a significant collection on here years ago as well. My problem is that I save some money up for the EG Christmas sale but then buying an extra pair or two anyway. The discounts are generous so the temptation exists.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Switching to a different topic, I have never owned a pair of Lobbs. I was on the Lobb website and was amazed at the high prices.

Does Lobb construction justify the extra price over EG?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Switching to a different topic, I have never owned a pair of Lobbs. I was on the Lobb website and was amazed at the high prices.

They are the same construction for the most part (differences may involve particular preference of brand name components). Leathers are comparable as well.
EG probably has modern looking lasts vs Lobb.
Saying that, the Lopez is one of my favorites. Probably my absolute fave loafer.

Screenshot_20240107-132508_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240107-132528_Chrome.jpg

Would my love for the Lopez justify a higher price over the EG shoes? Probably not, but it would still be my favorite haha.

Denar78

Reaction score
I own 3 pairs of Lobb (2 City II’s and one William II, their double monk). I prefer EG overall, I always found that Lobb has a “new rich” appeal. The City II in black calf in comparison with EG Chelsea is plain boring but on the flip side Lobb’s Museum calf’s are interesting. EG has more heritage and this is evident from their numerous iconic models. I find certain Lobb models very queer :) The Lobb price tag in my opinion is also excessive. Take their Lawry Chelsea boot, it’s beautiful but at that price, come on..
if I were to buy anything else from Lobb, it would probably be a Lopez or the Lawry

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Galway in burgundy Delapre leather. I'm not quite happy with how they look currently (through my own doing) as I have used Saphir wax on the toe cap and cream on the rest of the shoe which has produced an almost plasticky shine on the toe cap.

If I wanted to get the shoes back to an almost matte shine like they were when I purchased them, what would be the best course of action. Saddle soap or renomat perhaps? I also would like to get rid of some of the black scuffs on the leather.

Just wondering if people treat Delapre differently than normal calf leather. I believe the tannery steep delapre leather in oils during the tanning process so I wondered if using any of the cleaning products mentioned could ruin the finish? Thanks in advance.

Delapre is just a thicker calfskin according to what I've read.

Why don't you start with just brushing rigorously? That would probably remove much of the polish.

If not, your next step is to use a bit of neutral polish as a rubbing agent. If that doesn't work, then a tiny bit of saddlesoap.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have way more Lobbs than Greens, but more because they were more easily available (before the web era) than for a real choice. The construction is the same, both using goodyear with the infamous gemming. Leather quality is comparable, so it's mostly a matter of personal taste.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have way more Lobbs than Greens, but more because they were more easily available (before the web era) than for a real choice. The construction is the same, both using goodyear with the infamous gemming. Leather quality is comparable, so it's mostly a matter of personal taste.

What is “gemming?”

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads