• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoefan57

Reaction score
The Winchelsea is slightly different, as it has stitching (sometimes called foxing) along either sides of the heel. Those are another excellent variation on the skin stitched loafer theme, which also includes the Buxton and Harrow, etc. They even do butterfly versions with the pie crust and strapless loafers too.
That’s true, good point 😊

mdjd

Reaction score
Thoughts on the Dover on 82 vs 888 vs 606?

I understand the classic Dover makeup is the 606 soft square, but I wear a narrow size and tend to fit better, size and aesthetically, with slimmer lasts.

I see many Dovers in the 82, the long round toe, but not so many in the 888, even though 888 and 606 are soft square.

Anyone have feelings on the 82 vs 888 for a Dover?

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand the classic Dover makeup is the 606 soft square, but I wear a narrow size and tend to fit better, size and aesthetically, with slimmer lasts.

I see many Dovers in the 82, the long round toe, but not so many in the 888, even though 888 and 606 are soft square.

Go for the 606, you won't regret it. Are you getting a pair in DOAK?

I was in a similar quandary when I was getting mine and I am so glad I went with the advice I got in the thread. DOAK Dover on 606 is a classic and you can't go wrong. Its proportions are perfect.

I have a very narrow foot (I wear 6.5D in 202, 6E in 888, 6E in 82, 6.5E in 184) and the Dover fits great in 6E. In my experience, the last is longer than 202 so it can accommodate narrower feet quite well if you go half a size smaller.

As always, best to try it on first before ordering.

mdjd

Reaction score
Thanks! Doak indeed. I'm waiting until I can try on a pair, I think I'll be 9.5D in 606 or 82. Appreciate the advice.

Braid

Reaction score

Can't see the Dover works in either lasts, both are too pointy and for me the distinctive factor of the Dover compared to other StDs is to be relatively shorter and more masculine. A slimmer elongated Dover would look like more GG or Meccariello than EG. Go with 606 D.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies in advance for a really basic question but I can't find anything on EG's recraft/resole process. Any chance someone can provide a link or point me in the right direction?

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies in advance for a really basic question but I can't find anything on EG's recraft/resole process. Any chance someone can provide a link or point me in the right direction?
Call up to Jermyn St store who’ll be able to say how to ship the shoes. It’s £275 last I did it. Turnaround is 8-10 weeks.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @te0o. If I can get a little greedy with a follow up. Price doesn’t seem unreasonable and I know you’ve used them before. Any chance you can share your impressions on value? I’m sure I can get a good resole done for less but I really like the EG rubber sole and if their service includes more than just a resole then that’s likely the route I’ll take.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @te0o. If I can get a little greedy with a follow up. Price doesn’t seem unreasonable and I know you’ve used them before. Any chance you can share your impressions on value? I’m sure I can get a good resole done for less but I really like the EG rubber sole and if their service includes more than just a resole then that’s likely the route I’ll take.
I am typing this from my phone so I hope the link for my old post works.

Essentially, I did it for my leather sole Belgravias. More details in the link. I think it’s almost non-brainer, they do a really good job. You get a resole which is better than anything you can get on the high street, they clean up and condition your uppers, they change the welt and also the sock liner.

If you were doing leather soles + metal toe tips it’s even more compelling as the toe tils are installed very cleanly albeit for a premium price.

Drawback is the shipping and the waiting time but of you have a large enough rotation then it’s less relevant.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am typing this from my phone so I hope the link for my old post works.

Essentially, I did it for my leather sole Belgravias. More details in the link. I think it’s almost non-brainer, they do a really good job. You get a resole which is better than anything you can get on the high street, they clean up and condition your uppers, they change the welt and also the sock liner.

If you were doing leather soles + metal toe tips it’s even more compelling as the toe tils are installed very cleanly albeit for a premium price.

Drawback is the shipping and the waiting time but of you have a large enough rotation then it’s less relevant.

Link works fine and this is perfect. Wait time is a non-issue (I’ve got a pair

ckchan

Reaction score
DOAK bros
511C47C6-BBF7-4439-876F-FC1A8ED9E97E.jpeg

PGS

Reaction score
For those with EG trees, is the size indicated anywhere on them? I have some that fit more snug than others but are supposedly the same size. I can't find any markings anywhere to verify.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice when the Green Box lands. Though I have hunting for a mink suede loafer for while, I was a little hesitant on these. The image on the GF site makes them appear lighter than I desired and I also worried that there may be overlap with my grain Piccadilly’s. Now that I have them in hand, they’re keepers. Family shot includes my family of EG shoes and a side-by-side with the Piccadilly’s………

C58F37E1-729D-4683-8F90-14539F25A0E3.jpeg
A933861A-AE36-4CA9-B6D6-CCC56E8A620F.jpeg
700A53BA-D5C9-4D38-8427-858B7A32CD75.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads