• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input!
Just the beauty of it... Ideally, I'd like a pair with two materials like the one I described above for the city, the casual dressy side, and another one with a single textured leather, probably grained, with a storm welt, for a much more "country" look.
If you are already planning to get 2 that changes my recommendation. I'd get a bi-material on 82 for city (R2 sole) and one of their country calfs or delapre (utah) on 64 or 72 (Ridgeway sole) for your country pair.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input!
Just the beauty of it... Ideally, I'd like a pair with two materials like the one I described above for the city, the casual dressy side, and another one with a single textured leather, probably grained, with a storm welt, for a much more "country" look.

Beside yourself, pretty much all will be looking at the lower half of the boot (shaft covered by your trouser). As soon as you incorporate a smooth leather onto the 82 last (which I like), it will look dressier and whatever that shaft is made of would be irrelevant, unless you are exposing the shaft (that's not intended to be as vulgar as it sounds).

Of course you can add the R2 sole, but I still wouldn't consider that a smart casual boot. That would still lean smart.
If you added the Ridgeway sole, then we would be talking a less smart boot.

A city boot, therefore, can just remain in one material on the R2 sole on the 202, as it is a little more casual than the 82. True you wouldn't be able to dress it down as much, but you can lessen the formality scale by not shining it and keeping it matte. Besides, an entire boot made entirely in DOAK is a beauty.

Last edited:

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time wearing the Cranleigh this season. Finally!

IMG_8127.JPEG

IMG_8147.JPEG

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Trust me when I say that it pains me as much to ask this question as it will likely many of you for having to read it but I can't find any definitive source on EG lasts. The image in the post preceding this one with the mink suede loafers has possibly pushed me over the edge on this pair that I have been agonizing over for a while. They are on the 110 last and I can't find anything about 110. I just picked up these from The Hand and absolutely love them. They are on 184. From my untrained eye, 110 looks a little more casual (i.e. less 'refined') but again, I am far from an EG expert on anything.

So to summarize, anyone care to assist in the difference between 110 and 184? I assume I would size the same, just trying to gauge the different in fit, feel and aesthetics.

As an aside, as I was toggling between sites on this post I noticed that there is a $500 difference in price between a mink suede Piccadilly on the Hand and the shoe I'm looking at, the Harrow, on Gentlemans Footwear. That seems like a lot and I am wondering if GF is total and TH excludes VAT/fees, etc.?

Last edited:

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Guys,

Trust me when I say that it pains me as much to ask this question as it will likely many of you for having to read it but I can't find any definitive source on EG lasts. The image in the post preceding this one with the mink suede loafers has possibly pushed me over the edge on this pair that I have been agonizing over for a while. They are on the 110 last and I can't find anything about them. I just picked up these from The Hand and absolutely love them. They are on 184. From my untrained eye, 110 looks a little more casual (i.e. less 'refined') but again, I am far from an EG expert on anything.

So to summarize, anyone care to assist in the difference between 110 and 184? I assume I would size the same, just trying to gauge the different in fit, feel and aesthetics.

As an aside, as I was toggling between sites on this post I noticed that there is a $500 difference in price between a mink suede Piccadilly on the Hand and the shoe I'm looking at, the Harrow, on Gentlemans Footwear. That seems like a lot and I am wondering if GF is total and TH excludes VAT/fees, etc.?

Part of the price difference is just the upcharge for the handsewn models. You just won’t notice the piecrust as much because that version is suede.

As for the 110 last, from what Steve told me, it fits like 61 Harrows, but with a square toe.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
Guys,

Trust me when I say that it pains me as much to ask this question as it will likely many of you for having to read it but I can't find any definitive source on EG lasts. The image in the post preceding this one with the mink suede loafers has possibly pushed me over the edge on this pair that I have been agonizing over for a while. They are on the 110 last and I can't find anything about 110. I just picked up these from The Hand and absolutely love them. They are on 184. From my untrained eye, 110 looks a little more casual (i.e. less 'refined') but again, I am far from an EG expert on anything.

AFAIK 110 last is "A chisel-toed loafer last" which is modification of 61 last described as "A rounded loafer last". I would say it is somehow similar situation as with 202 / 606 lasts.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much thanks guys. I had a hunch a part of the price delta was due to the hand-stitch and yes, I recall the whole pie crust apron discussion on suede ;). Actually @jischwar nailed it down for me as again, I'm simply unfamiliar with the lasts mentioned in the other responses. Both good and bad news in that I really shouldn't be buying another pair of shoes and I definitely won't agonize over the Harrow's. These would be strictly casual and no way I want something narrower than 184. I might still kick around the mink suede Picadilly's from The Hand but we'll see. Geez, and I thought the Alden rabbit-hole was dangerous.

Always appreciate the assist guys. Thanks!

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
Much thanks guys. I had a hunch a part of the price delta was due to the hand-stitch and yes, I recall the whole pie crust apron discussion on suede ;). Actually @jischwar nailed it down for me as again, I'm simply unfamiliar with the lasts mentioned in the other responses. Both good and bad news in that I really shouldn't be buying another pair of shoes and I definitely won't agonize over the Harrow's. These would be strictly casual and no way I want something narrower than 184. I might still kick around the mink suede Picadilly's from The Hand but we'll see.

Always appreciate the assist guys. Thanks!

I own loafers in both E184 (unlined suede Sandown) and E61 (unlined Harrow in nightshade calf). Agree with what others said about less instep room on E61. My Harrows are definitely not narrower than Sandown. If anything, I’d say the opposite is true. E61 is definitely shorter and not as “sleek” as E184. That’s my experience anyway.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own loafers in both E184 (unlined suede Sandown) and E61 (unlined Harrow in nightshade calf). Agree with what others said about less instep room on E61. My Harrows are definitely not narrower than Sandown. If anything, I’d say the opposite is true. E61 is definitely shorter and not as “sleek” as E184. That’s my experience anyway.
Thanks for clarifying. I could just be mis-remembering the narrowness at the toes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads