• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Perhaps a bit early to be thinking about summer, but we just took delivery of the unlined Ventnor in mole suede. 184 last, R1 rubber sole. It's a pretty outstanding and unique color.

Anyone on here have something in mole?

EG-MoleSuede-Ventnor_Diag_SQ.jpg

EG-MoleSuede-Ventnor_Profile_SQ3.jpg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you go on the EG website, what you’re seeing is a sampling of the inventory from their London shop (per EG themselves). This may explain why some people who browse the site may find a preponderance of a particular style(s).

If you’re looking for something specific you can call or email them to see if they have it in stock.

I love EG, and even at those prices, they are worth it to me. I live in Chicago and with the closure of Leffot, I really don’t have a brick and mortar option. I don’t really count Brooks Brothers as the selection is quite limited and they cannot get anything beyond what they have available. As for MTO, forget it.

Leffot in NYC is still an option and moving forward I will probably lean on them, particularly for made to order.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why did leffot chicago close?

I suppose for the same reason any other business closes; not enough business. I’m just glad I didn’t have an order pending with them.

I did reach out to Steven in NYC and he said that they could do made to order over the phone or email.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of you gents feel the general interest is crumbling for these type of shoes in the past year or two? I remember the days from 2013-2016 where the market was crazy about EG and John Lobb shoes and members were much more active (selling, trading, discussing) .. Now it seems the threads all over the web doesn't get as much interest or traffic as before. Almost as less and less people in general are interested in paying a $1,300 for a pair of shoes compared to a few years ago.

The prices gone up considerably as well since my observed "peak" period. I believe the EG costed around GBP 695 back then and now they are about a GBP 1,000 for a pair .. I understand the inflation is present, but also the competition from Spain (I know hardly anything is a competition to EG) could took it's toll. When a fresh new buyer considers a pair of shoes and see a variety of good year welted options selling for what it seems to be "similar" to EG but 3 times cheaper, he's likely to give it a try even if he has the money to go for EG. Did Edward Green actually reached the point where it is just too expensive?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Nikola I don’t know, they’ve sort of placed themselves in a niche spot I think. Not quite as expensive as Lobb and G&G, and competitive with St. C’s of the world. I own quite a few of the C&J, Carmina’s as well as quite a few of the EG’s. Having said that, I’m not sure the typical customer that purchases C&J Carmina etc. are their target customer. I personally have never paid full price for a an EG, and haven’t seen any of their offerings that would tempt me to. I kinda feel like they are in a good place for the person that buys their shoes

My fav Galway’s on foot today.

229A929C-F4FF-44A7-95A2-7DA1C10BD198.jpeg

heelguy

Reaction score
Do any of you gents feel the general interest is crumbling for these type of shoes in the past year or two? I remember the days from 2013-2016 where the market was crazy about EG and John Lobb shoes and members were much more active (selling, trading, discussing) .. Now it seems the threads all over the web doesn't get as much interest or traffic as before. Almost as less and less people in general are interested in paying a $1,300 for a pair of shoes compared to a few years ago.

The prices gone up considerably as well since my observed "peak" period. I believe the EG costed around GBP 695 back then and now they are about a GBP 1,000 for a pair .. I understand the inflation is present, but also the competition from Spain (I know hardly anything is a competition to EG) could took it's toll. When a fresh new buyer considers a pair of shoes and see a variety of good year welted options selling for what it seems to be "similar" to EG but 3 times cheaper, he's likely to give it a try even if he has the money to go for EG. Did Edward Green actually reached the point where it is just too expensive?

I think part of the apparent reduction in discussions here about EG and GG specifically are tied to the fact that Skoak no longer carries them. There was always interest due to what they were carrying, their good price point at least for US buyers and GMTOs.

sforum1

Reaction score

Definitely. There are so many options these days for decent shoes at much lower prices, even below $400, that spending $1400-$2000 for RTW is almost unreasonable unless you have so much money that you are running out of ideas how to spend it. Not only is it unreasonable but also a little irresponsible from a financial point of view when you could be saving that extra $1000 toward your down payment to buy your first house. I certainly hope this is what young people are doing with their money rather than paying $1500 for EG shoes. It would be grievously wrong if home ownership was at all-time low, for example, while high-end shoe ownership at an all-time high.

I also look at eBay where used shoes are sitting there forever and auction-style sales happen at rock bottom prices.

Last edited:

prurient

Reaction score
The world is gonna be unlivable in about 12 years. Either invest in space travel, some survivalist bunker or a pair of Edward Green. Plenty of fellow NewYorkers still buying retirement property in Florida. I'm like... wow. Personally I wouldn't want to live underwater or in 150F weather.

Maximus Rex

Reaction score
Maybe I just own too many pairs. I am willing to buy, but really don't see anything I like out there (that I don't already own).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads