• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jack_P

Reaction score
Dainite on brown oxfords is a curious combo
I'm not really concerned with breaking the norm as they're more for nightlife and have black edges anyway. Just wondered what my options are as I do want a more grippy surface. The controversial top sole?

Chowkin

Reaction score
I'm not really concerned with breaking the norm as they're more for nightlife and have black edges anyway. Just wondered what my options are as I do want a more grippy surface. The controversial top sole?

Maybe try their R1 sole?

3217FB1E-EA07-474E-ACD7-5BA0782BAB88.jpeg

supern0va

Reaction score
I'm planning to order a pair of Oundles on the 202 last and am debating between burgundy and nightshade. I already own the Dovers in dark oak and want something a bit darker but still versatile. What do you all suggest? Is nightshade EG's version of Color #8 by Alden; a dark purplish eggplant color? Any daytime shots of the nightshade would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Nightshade is dark purplish. I highly recommend it, over burgundy (sorry don’t have the shoe on me now).

14F7F6EF-BF32-45B9-AF1A-B474D89E84E7.jpeg

TokenMao

Reaction score

Get the R1 slim rubber sole. It comes as a standard option on some Chelsea models and fit the style better than dainite.

Jack_P

Reaction score
Get the R1 slim rubber sole. It comes as a standard option on some Chelsea models and fit the style better than dainite.

My bad for presuming that they used dainite, I feel silly for asking now! R1 it is, thank you all.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They will use Dainite, although it is more of a country grain kind of thing. That, plus I hate it. Feels like nails in my feet when new, and wears down in no time, making them utterly useless.
IMO, if you really want traction and none of the bad parts, get Ridgeway. Otherwise, for rubber, the R1 is good, as mentioned.

AWu

Reaction score
always leather be my option

EG leather sole you dun need to worry in heavy rain too

View attachment 1023719 Hello all,

I’m not too far away from my first resole on a pair of Chelsea’s and wondered whether a dainite sole is a valid option due to the curvature of the sole from side to side. I’m sure if that’s a general EG style or model specific as this is my on pair of EG’s. Look forward to hearing your opinions, Jack.

michaelvl

Reaction score
View attachment 1023719 Hello all,

I’m not too far away from my first resole on a pair of Chelsea’s and wondered whether a dainite sole is a valid option due to the curvature of the sole from side to side. I’m sure if that’s a general EG style or model specific as this is my on pair of EG’s. Look forward to hearing your opinions, Jack.

What makes you think that these need a resole, they appear to me as if they are barely half way worn though and could be worn may times before actually needing a resole. Does the worn area of the soles feel soft and give in if you press down on them with both thumbs?

Jack_P

Reaction score
What makes you think that these need a resole, they appear to me as if they are barely half way worn though and could be worn may times before actually needing a resole. Does the worn area of the soles feel soft and give in if you press down on them with both thumbs?
Honestly, it’s a lack of experience on my part as I’ve not yet worn a pair long enough to require a re-sole. That and a fear of damaging a fantastic pair of shoes. They are soft to press around the middle but since posting I have shown them to my cobbler who casually told me to keep wearing them.

AriG

Reaction score
Can anybody comment on the instep of the 915 vs. 888? I feel the 888 (only last I own from EG on the Asquith) is slightly low, hence I need to size up from my Gaziano size (+0.5), but it fits still very well. I've picked up from previous posts that Chelsea 915 (which I would like) might fit a little large and wondering whether I should size differently?

I do know that I should try on or order 2, but sitting in Zurich, I'm just debating at the moment.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeKirk