• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Eaton's of Canada" Shoes -- what do you know about this brand?

Erablian

Reaction score
Eaton's was one of Canada's most iconic department stores for much of the 19th and 20th centuries, but went bankrupt in 1999, with Sears Canada taking over most of their stores.

I don't know what kind of quality their shoes were, but I would guess they were about mid-level.

Those shoes would have to be at least 16 years old.

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoes are advertised as being from the 40's. And what do you mean when you say "mid-level? What's the floor and what's the ceiling? Maybe a contemporary equivalent? Thank you.

AFCForever

Reaction score
Eaton's was our Macy's - the shoes would have potentially been as low as $50 or as high as $150 now I would guess.

Tod Creasey

Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far as there may have been some great stuff at some point but I would want to really check it out first.

Johnsson

Reaction score
I'm not old enough to know much about the golden era of Eatons apart from 'The Hockey Sweater", but I would suspect the quality of these to be on par with other department store shoes of that time. That is to say while they probably wouldn't be excellent by any means, stores weren't yet cutting every corner imaginable either.

deadAngle

Reaction score
Those look more 1970s to my eyes. They're not junk, but they're not high-end either. Perfectly viable shoes.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some of their shoes were made by Church of England, Hartt and Dacks. I snagged a pair online and will post pics. I would say some of the higher end Eaton shoes are true vintage and likely no longer made for any major retail store.

These beauties are made in Canada, and still solid. Design is rather conservative and formal, but perfect for my work.

Got these for $20 on Etsy.

I'd say modern day equivalents are Dacks, and Allen Edmonds. Except Dacks and AE use higher quality leather. The leather on these aren't that great.

Last edited:

Vinilo1969

Reaction score

Some of their shoes were made by Church of England, Hartt and Dacks. I snagged a pair online and will post pics. I would say some of the higher end Eaton shoes are true vintage and likely no longer made for any major retail store.

These beauties are made in Canada, and still solid. Design is rather conservative and formal, but perfect for my work.

Got these for $20 on Etsy.

I'd say modern day equivalents are Dacks, and Allen Edmonds. Except Dacks and AE use higher quality leather. The leather on these aren't that great.
I just got these Eaton’s Sanitized from Kijiji. Marked made in Canada and likely Hartt but perhaps Dacks.

E48EC8C9-3049-4DB6-A0F6-D3081DE0B98A.jpeg

300E63F9-5D97-4BF4-BACF-62D3E2C58ADB.jpeg

5BFCBB5E-6FF3-43E3-889A-28B6F104D606.jpeg

8021F223-4CB3-48EF-8F33-B1CDAC4D9520.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got these Eaton’s Sanitized from Kijiji. Marked made in Canada and likely Hartt but perhaps Dacks.

Your shoes were made in the early 1980s by Hartt. Those are solid but will be very thirsty. Hope you generously and repeatedly lotioned them before wearing. Good find!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
suitforcourt, those appear to be of early 1970s vintage. If memory serves, though they may look plasticy, the uppers are rather soft leather, yes?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
suitforcourt, those appear to be of early 1970s vintage. If memory serves, though they may look plasticy, the uppers are rather soft leather, yes?

Yes, soft, plasticky, and maybe corafam, or corrected leather/book binder.

They have an unnatural shine. But for the price I paid, they are nice addition to my collection of mostly LWBs.

70s eh? Wow. Older than me! They were NOS so will last me for decades.

Thanks for the info! What vintage Canadian brands do you have? Post some shoe Appreciation for us!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads