• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Palmisciano is finishing the sleeves on the gunclub and just sent me this photo with the question "two buttons or three?"

I've already decided two, because why not. It's sportivo.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Palmisciano is finishing the sleeves on the gunclub and just sent me this photo with the question "two buttons or three?"

I've already decided two, because why not. It's sportivo.

I like two, but with a little spacing between the buttons. IMO, it makes the style look more intentional (and a little more in-line with the old Brooks Brothers way). The style is basically the regular placement on the last-most button, and then 1" spacing between the first cut buttonhole and the second. Anything more and it also ends up looking like a three-button cuff where a tailor forgot the middle button.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Those pics are great.

Thanks for posting, DWW. I may give the two button look a try. Some of the Italian tailors have tried to get me to do one button. But I always revert to 3 or 4 buttons.

It can be a pain ********** to get right though. I think the style is foreign to a lot of tailors, so you're basically taking a risk. You might get a sleeve with two buttons that are too close together (making it look like half of a four-button sleeve) or too far apart (making it look like a three-button cuff without the middle button). Might help to say you'd like one-inch of space between the two buttonholes, but then you'll also become one of those customers everyone complains about.

Ideally, your spirit would cradle your tailor from behind as he's putting the buttons down, like that Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze scene in Ghost.

Last edited:

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like two, but with a little spacing between the buttons. IMO, it makes the style look more intentional (and a little more in-line with the old Brooks Brothers way). The style is basically the regular placement on the last-most button, and then 1" spacing between the first cut buttonhole and the second. Anything more and it also ends up looking like a three-button cuff where a tailor forgot the middle button.

My default is two buttons with 1'' between the buttonholes.

First suit I had done with 2 button sleeves was spaced a little wider, with exactly the width of a button between the 2 buttons. It does look a bit odd, but I've also seen this wider placement on a bunch of old pics, so that's also 'historically correct'.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It can be a pain ********** to get right though. I think the style is foreign to a lot of tailors, so you're basically taking a risk. You might get a sleeve with two buttons that are too close together (making it look like half of a four-button sleeve) or too far apart (making it look like a three-button cuff without the middle button). Might help to say you'd like one-inch of space between the two buttonholes, but then you'll also become one of those customers everyone complains about.

Ideally, your spirit would cradle your tailor from behind as he's putting the buttons down, like that Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze scene in Ghost.

I print this out and stuff it in the breast pocket when I drop off a jacket for alterations:

Last edited:

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Forgot: I'd rather risk being 'one of those customers everyone complains about' than being unhappy with results because of miscommunication. Tbh, I don't think the alteration guys mind. If anything, they always seem happy that I like their work and keep coming back to them.

hippotamus

Reaction score
Very nice DB and also looking for the gun club.

Would go for 2 Button cuff especially after the post by DWW

emptym

Reaction score
Great thread, UC, and threads.

+ 1 for two buttons w that spacing. But only for sport coats. And I'm more low tech in my request:

Btw, I like my quarters to be in between the X and )( DW was talking about, like this:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads