1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Dyeing from olive to black

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by greg, Oct 17, 2002.

1. greg

greg Active Member

Hi everyone. I bought a really neat military jacket at an army and navy store this summer. I love everything about it (the silhouette, epaulets, cinched waist etc) except the color. it's a light green/lt olive-ish which i am not particularly fond of....does anyone know if i can have it dyed black and if that's possible, how black can it get? thnks guys.

2. ulf

ulf Well-Known Member

If it's made of natural fibers, it shouldn't be a problem to dye it.

The thing that might cause a problem is the kind of thread it's sewn with; they're often polyester or other such fibers which means they can not be dyed.

So, you might end up with a fabulous black jacket with contrast stitching... To determine if the threads are synthetic you can burn a piece of thread: if a hard plastic ball is formed, it's synthetic.