• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry Scalp

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
I heard some doctor on the news recommend anything with zinc. Selsun Blue is what I use. Only use it whenever I have the problem, which is usually a few days out of every month. Works great, smells a bit strong, though. I think it's supposed to be better than H & S.

Pantene Pro-V has a new 2 in 1 shampoo with pyrithione zinc in it. I just started using it today as i only ever have dandruff in the winter, along with the rest of my dry skin. Winter is really a pain with all the moisturizing I have to do. I guess it's better than seeing dead skin on all of my dark furniture though.
plain.gif

KBW

Reaction score
there is a copper brush that you can buy (not expensive) at CVS or walgreens that helps to get rid of Dandruff as well. It stimulates the scalp and does some other things that I don't know but you'd have to read the label
smile.gif

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PREV
I have dry scalp. Also, I have been noticing flakes where my eyebrows are as well as under my nose. Any suggestions how to get rid of it? I have been using selson blue and some face lotion but that only rids it temporarily.

I know numerous guys (myself and my brother included) who have had problems with flaking of eyebrows. Nothing works better than taking fish oil (omega-3 ***** acid) capsules. You need to be on them for about a month before it clears up. There are many other health benefits of taking fish oil. It improves lipid profile and is also good for your skin. I buy mine at Costco (Kirkland Signature brand). I think I get about 300 capsules for $8.00 or so. I take 3 capsules twice daily. Biotin is also helpful for skin/hair/nail issues.

jabreal00

Reaction score
Originally Posted by paper clip
I use ketoconazole shampoo by prescription from a dermatologist after a diagnosis of sebhorreic (sp?) dermatitis. Cleared up dandruff, dry scalp, head itch and the red, flaky skin from my cheeks and nose. A great improvement for me.

I'm an internist and I treat many patients with this and I myself have it, seborrheic dermatitis. In layman's terms, dandruff. It tends to be on the scalp, eyebrows, creases around the nose. Like others have stated already, Nizoral (Ketoconazole) coupled with Selenium containing shampoo (Head & Shoulders), from the advise of a Dermatologist colleague of mine is effective. I tell them to alternate. Use one every 2-3days then alternate. The results are usually impressive, which I can personally attest.

kakemono

Reaction score
I went to a dermatologist for seborrheic dermatitis and they gave me Loprox. The stuff doesnt work for me. Next time, I am going to ask about ketoconazole and I have already bought my fish oil. I like the approach of fish oil b/c it seems to attempt to treat the problem, not cover symptons. I did notice that eating healthy and having a good sleep schedule helped it more than any shampoo has. When I in my internship and sleeping 8hrs a day instead of my current 3-4, it was much better.

This has plagued me since high school. I have gone through every dandruff shampoo in the cvs/walmart and then through everything at the salon. Selson Blue worked for a bit. Head and Shoulders made it worse. Tea Tree stuff was ok, but not much help. I went with all those things that contain stuff like zinc and other minerals. Nothing has really helped.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads