• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Natural Deodorant Work?

Mentos

Reaction score
A, um, friend has taken to using natural a deodorant crystal, of the sort one finds at Whole Foods. But it doesn't keep off the odors for, um, him anywhere near as well as conventional (aluminum) deodorants. Is this typical?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
He might need to try the other type, some people don't take well to certain kinds of the crystals. I used one and I liked it, but in the end I ended up sticking with Tom's of maine. I would never use an aluminum deodorant/antiperspirant, that **** will give you alzheimer's.

adversity04

Reaction score
I use Tom's but I've also gotten rid of the majority of my pit hair due to random excessive sweating during the day. Since the hair is gone I don't sweat really besides when working out. Tom's doesn't really help for my post working out ridiculous smell though, but I'm not sure most products would be able to...

Edit: Forgot to add it keeps bay the smell any other time :p

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
You think shaving really cuts down on your actual output of sweat?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
He might need to try the other type, some people don't take well to certain kinds of the crystals. I used one and I liked it, but in the end I ended up sticking with Tom's of maine. I would never use an aluminum deodorant/antiperspirant, that **** will give you alzheimer's.

It should be noted you can get plenty of deodorants that don't contain aluminum at any grocery or drug store.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm allergic to the aluminum antiperspirants. I've been using the Crystal stuff for a few months now. For the first few weeks it worked amazingly, preventing odour overnight even if I didn't shower after physical activity. Since then it is as if the bacteria are developing an immunity (I know that's impossible in this amount of time, but that's what it's like): it doesn't stop 100% of the odour and it doesn't last as long. Still, it's better than any other deodorant I've ever tried.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Wouldn't the true "natural" thing be to not wear deodorant?

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
I've tried this crystal thing before. Didn't work worth a damn for me.

The deodorant I currently use is pretty awesome, it's from L'Occitane and it doesn't have any aluminum. And it smells great (almost like a Christmas tree).

Dan

adversity04

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
You think shaving really cuts down on your actual output of sweat?

Random sweating points during the day? Yes, it has. At least I don't have beads of sweat rolling down my side anymore or wet marks in my pits. If it didn't stop the sweating then at least it made the physical results of it go away.

KBW

Reaction score
I worked with and dated a girl that was a "clean" hippie (meaning she shaved and looked nice but she was still a hippie) and she didn't believe in wearing deodorant and would always lecture me on side effects of deo but I didn't pay her any attention. She never had a smell but I work out and run daily so I'd be horribly nasty without it.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Crystal works for me (I use the roll-on form), but not as well as aluminum-containing anti-perspirants. I now avoid anti-perspirants with aluminum because they make the pits of my shirts crusty and gross and "the crusties" never wash out. Some other "natural" deodorants such as Tom's don't work for me at all.

Although aluminum has been found to cause Alzheimer's disease, I believe there's no scientific evidence that enough aluminum is absorbed from deodorant/anti-perspirant to contribute to Alzheimer's.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the roll on crystal, put extra on the non dominate underarm and let it dry before you put your shirt on.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the spray type. I think it gets more even coverage.

The natural stuff won`t really kill the odor as well as the conventional products. To compensate, I use perfumed deodorant on top of the crystal spray.

kever

Reaction score
The crystal was great for travelling for a few months because it lasts for a long time. It kept away smells and sweat for me for the first few weeks, but seemed to become less effective by the end of 3 months. I still have it, but I went back to regular deodorant again.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The crystal worked great for me for a while, then it seemed to decrease in effectiveness after a few months. What I do now works great: I use a strong commercial antiperspirant on the couple of days each week when I know I'll be under a lot of stress (meeting w/clients, whatever) and use the crystal all the other days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics