• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you ever compliment Women on their fashion?

brissyboy

Reaction score
I just say that looks good , never ask them where they got it from otherwise they think you're gay.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slipperywhenwet
I always do it. Especially when I think that I'll get some action for it. It's the best way to say, "wow your breasts look huge", or, "your ass is amazing", without actually saying, "wow your breasts look huge", or, "your ass is amazing."

Hopefully everyone realizes that women's compliments can also be intended to communicate interest. And that positive impressions of square-toed shoes probably have more to do with the jock-like guys who wear them than the shoes themselves.

Since a bag is an unlikely proxy for beauty, complimenting a woman's bag seems effeminate.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
all im seeing in my head in an extremely flaming guy saying, oh coach, i love it. i cant really see a straight guy saying that. i can see a straight guy saying something like nice purse, i like the stlye etc. i think it being coach makes it even gayer. who the hell likes coach!?!?

+1 coach is for teeny boppers...wtf is the OP, a ****?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
I totally agree. The handbag thing, like shoes, is for the womans own satisfaction. Im just objecting to the idea that you shouldnt deliver an effective compliment for fear of appearing "gay". If you are afraid of looking gay you are going to have a very poor batting average with women. There is no such thing as a confident straight male who gives the slightest thought to whether he may be coming off as gay.

I think I'm using the word gay just because that is the focus in this thread. My objection to commenting on the brand of the purse centers around blatant materialism and brand-whoring. It takes the focus off the apparent beauty of the object and puts it on the brand. This sort of thing has always bothered me.

James Gatz

Reaction score
I compliment my mum and my girlfriend on a regular basis. Strangers, never, but like it was said earlier, most women dress rather poorly and it might be too obvious to say, "You look like a ridiculous whore, but that makes me want to ******** with you, and thus I like what you're wearing."

On a somewhat related note, I dated a girl who had a bunch of Coach bags and would, after taking like an hour to get ready, spend another 20 minutes or so picking out what bag she wanted to carry. After turning to me with the bag in hand and asking how she looked I'd say, "Carrying that bag? Like an idiot."

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Nope, I led a girl into complimenting me before though. She asked me where did I get that shirt. I answered why. She says it's tight.

She meant it's too small and figures you must have gotten it at the Salvation Army.
smile.gif

Since most women do dress in an unremarkable way, I'll go out of my way to compliment a nicely dressed woman. I'm very careful how I phrase compliments at work, however, where I often simply pass the opportunity to offer a compliment (if I can't think of a way to make it definitely, 100% certain that I'm not hitting on her).

I never acknowledge knowing the brand of anything when I compliment a woman, though. It's way too ****.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slycedbred
+1 coach is for teeny boppers...wtf is the OP, a ****?

my moms favorite bag is a coach bag that i bought her.

When i'm wealthy i'll buy her something like an Hermes, but she's pretty happy with that one.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
if the booty looks good in the jeans, yes. other than that, no.
Yup. I told this girl at a party her jeans gave her a nice ghetto booty. Pa-YOW
Originally Posted by Brad
So, did you get some ass?
Affirmative.
Originally Posted by warlok1965
I love to coat hangers on what they are wearing when they look good, especially if it is something I can tell is new or not often worn. You just have to be careful not to overdo complements or you'll come across as a creepy simpering wimp. My theory is, keep the kiss-ups to a minimum so it is a welcome treat when you offer them. But let your eyes, smile, and raging bulge int the pants. be a complement to a lady every time you see her.
Fixed.

dsholmes1

Reaction score
I do give woman compliments on their fashion when its truly eye catching and I cannot help but look twice. They eat that **** up just don't show that you know too much about fashion becuase they may get the wrong idea about you.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsholmes1
just don't show that you know too much about fashion becuase they may get the wrong idea about you.

+1,000

Ive ruined chances with many girls this way. And in your case if she compliments you, you just gotta play dumb about it like your style is a kind of accident.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads