• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do wealthy people have fewer possessions in their homes?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
For many this is true. That said, there are more than a few people who don't want photos of their house published. There are even people who require confidentiality clauses in the owner/architect agreement that forbid the taking of any photographs.

Not very serious art, I take it.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Err, no. It's usually not their sense of style, but their interior designer's. And many will hire a designer who's well-known and well-connected precisely because he or she has a reasonable shot at getting the home into AD. Secondary benefits include getting access to rare or unique pieces. A good designer will take the owners' tastes and preferences as her starting point, and she'll let the owners give a thumbs up / thumbs down to tactical purchases and decisions. But she is the mastermind behind the overall layout. This is what separates wealthy people from teh poors when it comes to taste.
This is exactly it. A good designer understands that a few thoughtful pieces is much better at achieving an asthetic than a bunch of random **** that almost works.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
my house is outrageously cluttered. We complain about it and always "intend" to do something about it but somehow the Great Purge has not happened yet.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
my house is outrageously cluttered. We complain about it and always "intend" to do something about it but somehow the Great Purge has not happened yet.

You've taken the first step towards recovery here, Manton.
smile.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Not very serious art, I take it.
Are you referring to the photoshoot with the borrowed painting? I don't recall the name of the artist -- this was back in the 90s -- but it was indeed not very serious art. The shoot was for the interior desecrator. It was he who arranged for the painting. The client told me about it some time later.

On the other hand, if you are referring to the clients who refrain from having photos of their houses published (inferred from the text parsed) that is more from a desire to stay out of the limelight -- or perhaps a desire to control what gets published -- and has little to do with art.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Same here. It's like some incurable virus - everytime we try to attack it from one end, it spreads somewhere else, and then multiplies. With young kids in the house, it would be a full-time task to even try to keep it uncluttered.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Having fewer possessions is a matter of taste, not income. We are not rich, and our house is not cluttered.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Are you referring to the photoshoot with the borrowed painting? I don't recall the name of the artist -- this was back in the 90s -- but it was indeed not very serious art. The shoot was for the interior desecrator. It was he who arranged for the painting. The client told me about it some time later.

On the other hand, if you are referring to the clients who refrain from having photos of their houses published (inferred from the text parsed) that is more from a desire to stay out of the limelight -- or perhaps a desire to control what gets published -- and has little to do with art.

No, no. The former. Like you said.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've noticed that clutter, at least as it occurs in my life, is often a result of just not having enough storage space for all the little **** that accumulates over the years. Certainly a restrained approach to buying **** is the most proactive and effective clutter-reducing technique. But additionally, adding more storage space really does help. Bear in mind that you can't just hoard **** in there, though. The act of putting something away should carry with it the intellectual exercise of figuring out when and why, if ever, you'll pull it back out. If you can't think of a reason, to the dump or goodwill it goes.

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Most wealthy people are too busy experiencing things that actually bring happiness rather than accumulating **** for its own sake.
IME, most wealthy people are too busy working rather than accumulating **** for its own sake. Seems the richer people get, the more time they spend working because they enjoy it. If you're running a successful business, you don't have time to spend the weekend shopping for crap (or, for that matter, going on holidays). (Source)

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by gdl203
Same here. It's like some incurable virus - everytime we try to attack it from one end, it spreads somewhere else, and then multiplies. With young kids in the house, it would be a full-time task to even try to keep it uncluttered.

Attempting to de-clutter while you still have young children is a fool's errand!
ffffuuuu.gif

My front yard/walkway looks like a freaking trailer-park after a tornado touched down ...
cloud.gif

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v0rtex
IME, most wealthy people are too busy working rather than accumulating **** for its own sake. Seems the richer people get, the more time they spend working because they enjoy it. If you're running a successful business, you don't have time to spend the weekend shopping for crap (or, for that matter, going on holidays). (Source)
The comments on that blog are always hilarious

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I totally gained 3sq ft of apartment space last night when I decided to to throw a bunch of stuff out.

As such, I have gained area and reduced possessions--I will soon have a wealthy home!

I see another 7sq ft I could gain...if all goes according to plan, I will have a 10 sq ft gain (that has been waiting since I moved into this place) and a reduction in item-density.

Then they will start sending me my rich person checks right?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
This is a silly thread. Some people have a lot of stuff rich or poor. AD homes are staged so it really depends on what the designer wants to show off. If you look at staged homes that are for sale even if there are still people living in them you wont find junk all over the place. The houses generally are not supposed to be personal, they are design concepts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads