• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do these shoes work with this seersucker suit?

jazzneel

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am going to the Kentucky Derby in September (moved from May, and hopefully not cancelled) and this question is more for that, but I also may wear this in the summer time once the stay at home orders are lifted.

I have this blue/white seersucker suit from J.Crew, and I was trying to figure out what shoes I can wear with it. I have brown penny loafers from AE (leather, not suede) but that seems a bit too formal still. Do these navy blue suede shoes match the suit and look good?

I would probably wear a khaki/beige colored belt with it, and either a white linen/oxford or pink oxford shirt (leaning towards white). I researched this a lot and it seems like white bucks, then dirty bucks, then brown loafers are the way to go, and since I only have brown loafers, I wanted to find a way to wear suede shoes if it works. If it doesn't look as good or the brown loafers look way better, then I will go with that.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Seersucker.jpg
    Seersucker.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you have the seersucker suit, why not get pair of white bucks?

jazzneel

Reaction score
As you have the seersucker suit, why not get pair of white bucks?

I'm trying not to spend any additional money. I got a couple summer weight sportcoats from Spier & Mackay as I wear sportcoats daily to work, and that is basically all I wanted to buy.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying not to spend any additional money. I got a couple summer weight sportcoats from Spier & Mackay as I wear sportcoats daily to work, and that is basically all I wanted to buy.
Okay. Don't wear the black shoes, then. I also wonder if the Kentucky Derby in September will be a different event than if it was held at the traditional time in May? Meaning, a different feel. More Fall-like rather than Spring?

jazzneel

Reaction score
Okay. Don't wear the black shoes, then. I also wonder if the Kentucky Derby in September will be a different event than if it was held at the traditional time in May? Meaning, a different feel. More Fall-like rather than Spring?

The suede shoes are Navy Blue. But that's a good point. Maybe brown will be the better one to wear with seersucker.... I'm going on the assumption that it will still be seersucker suits and not more fall suits.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally think the shoes are pretty terrible but I understand the budget constraints... What do people generally wear with seersucker suits? I honestly don't know...

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seersucker is fairly casual, so wearing navy suede shoes is perfect.

White laces would be best IMO.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not feeling those shoes, personally. I think your brown loafers will probably better. Here's Mark at The Armoury wearing a seersucker suit with brown loafers

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seem to be two schools of thought on outfitting a seersucker suit and they are some distance apart. One is that the suit itself is so unusual and eye catching, best not to try to gild the lily and therefore keep everything else low key.

The other school of thought is akin to "in for a penny, in for a pound."

I guess I fall in the middle. I keep the shirt a white button down in cotton or linen. Tie is usually on the dark side but with some texture. My solid navy grenadine is a favorite.

But as for shoes, my top two choices are my white bucks or my walnut & bone spectators. A distance third is a pair of tan loafers. Not because there is anything wrong with that pairing. I just enjoy the other two a lot more.

All that said, I think the navy suede pair you have is just fine.

jazzneel

Reaction score
Hi, thank you all for your responses! So it seems like some people think the navy suede will work, while others feel it won't. Which basically means it comes down to my preference lol.

If I DID decide to buy something (maybe use part of my stimulus money if I ever get it), how would something like this be?https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/cole-h...mb=Home/Sale/Men/Shoes&color=ironstone nubuck
It's not tan but a very light gray. I don't really want to get white bucks because I know I won't wear those as much, and I'd rather get something that I can wear with almost anything.

Or any other ideas that are less than maybe $60ish?

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will not get anything decent for 60 dollars, save that money towards a proper shoe later on instead.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
You will not get anything decent for 60 dollars

Correction: you’ll not get anything decent and new for $60. I don’t think a single pair of shoes I’ve bought in the last couple of years cost more than a few dollars above $60, and I have some really great shoes. Don’t fear the vintage :)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a specific pair of shoes just for one event and to wear with a seersucker suit. Put that $60 towards something you'll wear often. You can get reasonably good shoes that are new for about $200. At $300, options open a lot.

$200 sounds like a lot of money, and it is, but just think of it as $140 once you save your $60. If you're just building a wardrobe, be thoughtful about buying things that will allow you to expand in different directions, wear things in various combinations, and work for daily life. Tan shoes like those Cole Haans are OK, but also not that great. Better to have one pair of great shoes than three that aren't quite right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads