• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A virtual stock market for training shoes??

Why?? 🤷

It's not a stock market, it's a marketplace where you can buy and sell shoes, among some other things. Stocks don't exist for sneakers. The website's name is StockX, but it operates as a user-driven marketplace like Grailed, eBay, Etsy, and StyleForum.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not a stock market, it's a marketplace where you can buy and sell shoes, among some other things. Stocks don't exist for sneakers. The website's name is StockX, but it operates as a user-driven marketplace like Grailed, eBay, Etsy, and StyleForum.

Ah, that makes more sense (if you like rare fancy sneakers I suppose).

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score

I have a feeling we will be seeing one soon. Baseball cards are being sold in shares and you can now own 1/2000 of a Mickey Mantle rookie card. At some point sneakers will follow suit.

Jax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ sure but i'd rather own the thing . in a way these crypto vehicles invariably * not sell * the present , and which i'd rather buy

VitaTimH

Reaction score
Cynical take: I think about the irreversibility of blockchain transactions here as an asset to StockX, not a liability. When scams or hacks inevitably occur, StockX can throw their hands up and say that things are out of their hands, that’s just how crypto works, we offer the NFT and that’s it. Rather than providing expensive support staff, remediation, etc.

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The nft-nization of sneakers makes a lot of sense for the resell world. The flipper would love to not ship or hold inventory, stockx would love to make the 15% percent creator fee on every nft resale while the sneaker sits in a warehouse, and pretending that a quick money hustle is real culture with a vibrant community is something both flippers and nft bros are very comfortable with.

What I am very interested so see is what happens when inevitably someone gets scammed for their nft and the new (legit by blockhain rules) owner wants to collect from stockx, or when the warehouse gets robbed and numerous transactions make place before anyone realizes the nft is backed by a sneaker that's already on someone else's foot.

Or will this hurt the resell market because all the fake flexers who only buy for clout ig pics before reselling are going to leave the space when ppl trace their purchases on the blockchain and call them out.

So when are we going to see title insurance on NFTs for sneakers? That would be next logical step to hedge the issues of missing the physical item but it seems like only really expensive purchases get to the level of title insurance (homes and cars.)

I love this whole concept because it brings entirely new and literal meaning to: "the shoe is on the other foot."

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adding a NFT to an individual shoe as a form of authentication bundled with a contract for ownership opens up a clear path from speculating on an object to speculating on a financial instrument. The crossing the line from market to exchange could be subtle in some regards but large in legal challenges and impact.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm continually amazed and a bit confused by Facebook ads. Because of my business and browsing history, I'm regularly served advertisements for high-end menswear.

And.. the comments are often the dumbest things possible. They'll even be explicitly racist or homophobic or otherwise hateful.

Is the "engagement" worth it? Do hateful comments still help the overall visibility? Are they simply targeting the wrong crowd? It seems like a terrible strategy, but this happens with pretty large brands - and I'd assume that every advertising move that they make is intentional.

IMG_6450.PNG

IMG_6451.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads