• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discuss Swaine Adeney Brigg cases

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Equus, Is this pic helpful to you, with regard to hand stitching?
It isnt especially amazing stitching but it looks like what Ive seen of SABs recent work to me, likewise the handle. Im not an SAB expert so my opinion should be taken with a pinch of salt but Id be surprised if its not genuine I think. What does @CaseMaker think? Charlie

MMNY

Reaction score
It isnt especially amazing stitching but it looks like what Ive seen of SABs recent work to me, likewise the handle. Im not an SAB expert so my opinion should be taken with a pinch of salt but Id be surprised if its not genuine I think.

What does @CaseMaker think?

Charlie
I don't know, but here's one more from the eBay site.

Sonny1

Reaction score
I suppose Swaine Adeney are the only people who can definitively confirm whether they manufactured these cases. If so, the deep discounts seem strange as they don't offer these discounts online or at the shop. If it was manufactured by a craftsmen outside of SAB, it will still show the mixture of machine and hand stitching. What did the ebay seller say when you asked him?

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I suppose Swaine Adeney are the only people who can definitively confirm whether they manufactured these cases. If so, the deep discounts seem strange as they don't offer these discounts online or at the shop. If it was manufactured by a craftsmen outside of SAB, it will still show the mixture of machine and hand stitching. What did the ebay seller say when you asked him?

Maybe its a second? If I had to bet Id say its authentic personally, it looks like the last piece of their work we had in the workshop. Also interested to know what the seller said

Charlie

letsi

Reaction score

I think most of the established members here have concluded earlier in this thread that SAB's briefcases are partially machine stitched, partially hand stitched and not fully hand stitched. Hence, having mixture of machine and hand stitching does not confirm if it's an authentic make from SAB.

There are only a handful of makers (SAB's not one of them, even for the non-papworth line) in the world who would hand stitch their briefcases fully and one of that handful is our member casemaker in this forum and he charges a slight premium for that over SAB which I believe is fully justified.

Maybe its a second? If I had to bet Id say its authentic personally, it looks like the last piece of their work we had in the workshop. Also interested to know what the seller said

Charlie

Well, I'm just holding out for more pictures but to be honest I have my conclusions already...

Last edited:

letsi

Reaction score

It isnt especially amazing stitching but it looks like what Ive seen of SABs recent work to me, likewise the handle. Im not an SAB expert so my opinion should be taken with a pinch of salt but Id be surprised if its not genuine I think.

What does @CaseMaker think?

Charlie

On a separate note from the current topic, I'm interested and curious to know how saddlers define amazing stitching and differentiate them from merely average stitching, do you have any examples to show Charlie? Many thanks in advance!

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

On a separate note from the current topic, I'm interested and curious to know how saddlers define amazing stitching and differentiate them from merely average stitching, do you have any examples to show Charlie? Many thanks in advance!

Well as you've mentioned we have our own Casemaker as a very good example - there are quite a few examples of his work in this thread. He does not charge the premium he deserves given he hand stitches entire cases! Take a look at the photos of his work..

Charlie

letsi

Reaction score

Well as you've mentioned we have our own Casemaker as a very good example - there are quite a few examples of his work in this thread. He does not charge the premium he deserves given he hand stitches entire cases! Take a look at the photos of his work..

Charlie

I've seen his photos and would love to own some of his pieces but to be honest, it's pretty hard to tell without a side by side comparison guide from our resident experts here :slayer:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I thin
I've seen his photos and would love to own some of his pieces but to be honest, it's pretty hard to tell without a side by side comparison guide from our resident experts here :slayer:

Its interesting to look back at some of the images in this thread. For eg in http://www.styleforum.net/t/206275/discuss-swaine-adeney-brigg-cases/60#post_4969541 there are some really nice photos of another SAB case, including a very similar photo of the handle and stays. The pattern of case and handle are obviously the same which further confirms the case is probably real, though the straps aren't machine stitched around the edges like this one. If you look at the hand stitched handle and stay of the case from 2011 you'll see that the angle is more consistent, the thread is rounder, cleaner and more defined and the hole made by the awl is smaller and cleaner. Id be prepared to bet the underside of the handle is much cleaner and has neater stitching as well. The case currently under discussion is perfectly acceptable but hasn't gone beyond workmanlike - it'll do the job but not a work of art. To me overall the 2011 case is a better piece of work. I suspect given the changes at SAB in the meantime theres more time pressure and less talent in the workshop, but thats just based on photos and whats crossed my workbench..

Charlie

Edit to say - dont meant to rip apart someones new pride and joy, I was asked to compare though....

Last edited:

letsi

Reaction score

I thin
Its interesting to look back at some of the images in this thread. For eg in http://www.styleforum.net/t/206275/discuss-swaine-adeney-brigg-cases/60#post_4969541 there are some really nice photos of another SAB case, including a very similar photo of the handle and stays. The pattern of case and handle are obviously the same which further confirms the case is probably real, though the straps aren't machine stitched around the edges like this one. If you look at the hand stitched handle and stay of the case from 2011 you'll see that the angle is more consistent, the thread is rounder, cleaner and more defined and the hole made by the awl is smaller and cleaner. Id be prepared to bet the underside of the handle is much cleaner and has neater stitching as well. The case currently under discussion is perfectly acceptable but hasn't gone beyond workmanlike - it'll do the job but not a work of art. To me overall the 2011 case is a better piece of work. I suspect given the changes at SAB in the meantime theres more time pressure and less talent in the workshop, but thats just based on photos and whats crossed my workbench..

Charlie

Edit to say - dont meant to rip apart someones new pride and joy, I was asked to compare though....

Thanks for the comparison, on further examinations it does appear that the stitching isn't exactly consistent on the ebay sellers's pics. I found it a bit hard to pinpoint the size of the awl holes though between the two since they appeared equal in size most of the time?
To be honest, Ray's workmanship in regards to hand stitching was a lot better on my briefcase when compared to the pictures from MMNY though.

Anyway for us to obtain some close up picture of Simon's (casemaker) work? :D
Also, would MMNY still post pictures of the actual briefcase IRL?

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks for the comparison, on further examinations it does appear that the stitching isn't exactly consistent on the ebay sellers's pics. I found it a bit hard to pinpoint the size of the awl holes though between the two since they appeared equal in size most of the time?
To be honest, Ray's workmanship in regards to hand stitching was a lot better on my briefcase when compared to the pictures from MMNY though.

Anyway for us to obtain some close up picture of Simon's (casemaker) work? :D
Also, would MMNY still post pictures of the actual briefcase IRL?

Im probably showing my ignorance but what/who is MMNY??

casemaker

Reaction score
These are the photo's I sent to the chap on e-bay selling the SAB briefcases, to explain and illustrate the difference between machine stitching, and hand stitching.I just took some snaps of a case in the workshop. He said " that he had been told by someone that SAB cases were entirely hand stitched" a fairly common misconception.

And machine stitching, with apologies to 'scaramanga' who posted this originally, looking for advise about caring for his case.

With hand stitching, the stitch length should always be even, because one uses a stitching iron, and the stitch should lay at an angle. Machine stitching length can differ, if the material does not feed through evenly, as you can see above, where the stitches come closer together, also the stitch tends to be in a straighter line, with little angle.

In my experience, it takes me about three times as long to fully hand stitch a case, as a mostly machine stitched case would.

shanetrudell

Reaction score
I've seen his photos and would love to own some of his pieces but to be honest, it's pretty hard to tell without a side by side comparison guide from our resident experts here
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Here is a comparison of this section of the case with my own work. There are several key differences: wonky hand stitches, large machine holes, thinner, less durable threads, lower quality threads (compared to the French linen), tears in the leather from the awl, 5 stitch per inch?... Is it just the camera or are the threads used in by hand and machine different colours also? Different stitch per inch between them as well, throws the eye off again.

A point worth making is that the 'slant' that we discuss when referring to good hand stitching is not for aesthetics only, although it is a handsome mark indeed. The slant is created by the perfect repetition of angle when the diamond-shaped awl pierces the leather to make space for the thread - this is very difficult. The purpose is to prevent the stitches from lining up in a row, creating tension between stitches where the leather is the thinnest. Good 'slants' are essential to the endurance of the stitch line. By the same token, a properly sharpened awl prevents tearing and weakening the leather.

Excellent stitches: clean and even - this means the same angle and tension performed thousands of times on a hand stitched case. The awl kept polished and waxed. Long seams completed on the same thread, and probably in the same sitting. Good quality thread, waxed to achieve a good sticky 'lock', and to prevent rot. And on and on.

The 'trick' with hand stitching is that corners must not be cut, and so when factory organizations attempt to pay a marketing homage to this part of the craft, it will not be done right. The modern SAB handle is, in my opinion, a prime example of what to expect from factory 'hand stitch'.

-Shane Trudell

Last edited:

letsi

Reaction score

Im probably showing my ignorance but what/who is MMNY??
Um... MMNY is the poster who bought the "SAB" briefcase off ebay and wants us to verify the authenticity?
I don't know, but here's one more from the eBay site.
These are the photo's I sent to the chap on e-bay selling the SAB briefcases, to explain and illustrate the difference between machine stitching, and hand stitching.I just took some snaps of a case in the workshop. He said " that he had been told by someone that SAB cases were entirely hand stitched" a fairly common misconception. And machine stitching, with apologies to 'scaramanga' who posted this originally, looking for advise about caring for his case. With hand stitching, the stitch length should always be even, because one uses a stitching iron, and the stitch should lay at an angle. Machine stitching length can differ, if the material does not feed through evenly, as you can see above, where the stitches come closer together, also the stitch tends to be in a straighter line, with little angle. In my experience, it takes me about three times as long to fully hand stitch a case, as a mostly machine stitched case would.
Here is a comparison of this section of the case with my own work. There are several key differences: wonky hand stitches, large machine holes, thinner, less durable threads, lower quality threads (compared to the French linen), tears in the leather from the awl, 5 stitch per inch?... Is it just the camera or are the threads used in by hand and machine different colours also? Different stitch per inch between them as well, throws the eye off again. A point worth making is that the 'slant' that we discuss when referring to good hand stitching is not for aesthetics only, although it is a handsome mark indeed. The slant is created by the perfect repetition of angle when the diamond-shaped awl pierces the leather to make space for the thread - this is very difficult. The purpose is to prevent the stitches from lining up in a row, creating tension between stitches where the leather is the thinnest. Good 'slants' are essential to the endurance of the stitch line. By the same token, a properly sharpened awl prevents tearing and weakening the leather. Excellent stitches: clean and even - this means the same angle and tension performed thousands of times on a hand stitched case. The awl kept polished and waxed. Long seams completed on the same thread, and probably in the same sitting. Good quality thread, waxed to achieve a good sticky 'lock', and to prevent rot. And on and on. The 'trick' with hand stitching is that corners must not be cut, and so when factory organizations attempt to pay a marketing homage to this part of the craft, it will not be done right. The modern SAB handle is, in my opinion, a prime example of what to expect from factory 'hand stitch'. -Shane Trudell
Thanks for the excellent comparison picture posted here Simon and Shane. I can truly see the difference with the side by side, detailed explanation with pictures as comparison. Esp regarding the waxed better quality lin cables (or is that only used in Equus belts?) / french linen threads used for hand stitching on both Simon's and Shane's briefcases in comparison to the ones used by SAB and perhaps Ray. I also understand that with hand stitching the stitches per inch can be increased by a lot which also resulted in extra durability of the stitching since there's more stitches to hold up an attached leather, would stitches per inch be used to measure the level of quality as well for hand stitched items?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads