• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner Recs in Chicago

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What was overwhelming about Bistronomics?

Been enjoying West Town Tavern from your recommendation.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dinner last night at the girl and the goat. one of the best meals I've ever had. here's the thing - I really prefer sharing small plates to a steak, and I really like braised and stewed meats to rarer meats. so the menu is all small plates made for sharing, and the meat and veg sections (we honestly didn't have any fish, aside from a shrimp dish that I didn't eat) are heavy on braised and stewed meats. we had great beef short ribs, a pork shank, lamb ribs, goat empanada and goat belly confit along with ham fries and cauliflower that my wife loved (I hate cauliflower). the wine was good and very reasonable, and the staff was very very nice, helpful and not pretentious at all. on top of that, the food didn't cost us much more than a plate of pasta would have cost us at our favorite pasta place.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score

dinner last night at the girl and the goat. one of the best meals I've ever had. here's the thing - I really prefer sharing small plates to a steak, and I really like braised and stewed meats to rarer meats. so the menu is all small plates made for sharing, and the meat and veg sections (we honestly didn't have any fish, aside from a shrimp dish that I didn't eat) are heavy on braised and stewed meats. we had great beef short ribs, a pork shank, lamb ribs, goat empanada and goat belly confit along with ham fries and cauliflower that my wife loved (I hate cauliflower). the wine was good and very reasonable, and the staff was very very nice, helpful and not pretentious at all. on top of that, the food didn't cost us much more than a plate of pasta would have cost us at our favorite pasta place.

I've eaten there twice and have a reservation coming up again in November. I love girl and the goat. Their meats are amazing, but their veggies and seafood are almost equally as good. It's also pretty reasonably priced considering the quality of food. I think I've only had beer there so I can't speak to their wine.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was at G&G last month during the Labor Day weekend. It was my 6th or 7th time there. Fun place.

Only one bad experience during the times I've been there, but that was because of the server's attitude. He insisted that we were ordering too much. At that point it was our third or fourth time there, so we knew how the ordering worked, and of course knew how much we could eat. Even if we ordered too much, that was our business, not his. he was a real jerk, and I told him so and tipped accordingly.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had dinner at Grace tonight. It was one of my best dining experiences in Chicago, ever. Great food and exceptional service. Nice tour of the kitchen, too. It ranks up there with Alinea and many of the other Chicago fine dining venues. Glad I went.

On the other hand, I had the opposite experience last night at Elizabeth's.

deepitm

Reaction score
Put this in the fried chicken thread but Honey Butter Fried Chicken is pretty awesome. Would definitely recommend.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Had dinner at Goosefoot Saturday night. 9 course BYOB. One of the better fine dining experiences I've had in Chicago. The chef, Chris Nugent, came to our table after our dinner and chatted with us for a good 10-15 minutes. Highly recommend.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Had dinner at Goosefoot Saturday night. 9 course BYOB. One of the better fine dining experiences I've had in Chicago. The chef, Chris Nugent, came to our table after our dinner and chatted with us for a good 10-15 minutes. Highly recommend.
I love dining at Goosefoot, and have been going once or twice a year since it opened. Consistently great food and service. Chris and his wife are very personable and make the overall dining experience great.

Pat

Reaction score

Had dinner at Grace tonight. It was one of my best dining experiences in Chicago, ever. Great food and exceptional service. Nice tour of the kitchen, too. It ranks up there with Alinea and many of the other Chicago fine dining venues. Glad I went.

On the other hand, I had the opposite experience last night at Elizabeth's.

What happened at Elizabeth? I have been twice and really enjoyed both visits.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Embeya any good? I'm going to be in Chicago next weekend for a conference. Need a moderately priced place where I can get a fairly big table for a big group of friends.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Never been to Embeya before, but Publican is amazing. And the Bristol, while probably not close, would be worth the cab ride.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads