• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference in waist size only?

keys

Reaction score
When shopping for dress pants I often purchase a size 34w and have the waist taken in slightly in order to fit more comfortably. On some occasions I have been known to purchase a size 32 and have had to let the waist out a bit. My question is this:

With the exception of the waist are all other measurements the same in a 34 vs. 32 size dress pant?

V-

Brian SD

Reaction score
I always assumed that less material was used in the legs if the waist is smaller. The extremes are obvious, a pair of 40W pants has much wider legs than a pair of 30w, but as far as 32-34, I would bet that the real difference is going to be dependent on who makes the trousers.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wear a size 33 and have never had a problem finding them. and yes, assuming you're talking about the same model from the same maker, a size 34 will be slightly bigger in the hips and thighs than a 32.

wicozani

Reaction score
I am in the exact same predicament. My actual waist measures 32, but from years spent playing football and cycling I have very large thighs and, correspondingly, hips. Because of this I've always preferred pleated-front pants. However, largely because of information I've become aware of from this board and several books, I now realize that although a 32 waist may technically fit, too often the pleats are pulled open in front and there is tension on the side pockets.

Because of this I have started buying pants in 33 waist size and just living with the extra waist room, because nearly everything else is better and the pleats stay closed. However, many fancy slacks I'd like to get (on the 'bay) are usually only available in a 34. But, I've been getting those and just having my tailor take the waist in a bit. I can also plan to add suspender buttons if appropriate.

It's certainly not as convenient as fitting a 32 perfectly off the rack, but it's somehow nice to work a bit for the best fit and presentation.

Jeff

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When shopping for dress pants I often purchase a size 34w and have the waist taken in slightly in order to fit more comfortably. On some occasions I have been known to purchase a size 32 and have had to let the waist out a bit. My question is this:

With the exception of the waist are all other measurements the same in a 34 vs. 32 size dress pant?

V-
Croach length will be about an 1inch longer on size 34 compared to 32.

I think your upper thigh will be silightly larger too. Which in turns, will make more fabric at the seat of the pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads