• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Definitive "Books on Menswear" Thread

J. Cogburn

Reaction score

Is there a website where there are a lot of images from Apparel Arts available to look at? Or do you have to try to score old hard copies?

It's really amazing how hard it is to find that stuff. I remember a few years ago going to the Library of a Congress one weekend to unearth the bound editions but to my disappointment found that almost every issue was cut to pieces by people who would remove large swaths of the pages. And some volumes were completely missing.

Powka

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Amazing thread!

Can anybody suggest a book (or maybe ten?) on men's fashion/style/tailoring/etc that is aimed more at guys of 18-35 age groups with interest in modern casual but still stylish menswear? Stuff like you see on Tumblr with hashtag #menswear and similar: street wear, Americana, avant-garde, anti-establishment clothing, Sprezzatura's mix and similar?

Anything (books, articles, essays, ebooks, websites) relevant to that kind of style - shoes, accessories, etc. - would also be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey guys,

Amazing thread!

Can anybody suggest a book (or maybe ten?) on men's fashion/style/tailoring/etc that is aimed more at guys of 18-35 age groups with interest in modern casual but still stylish menswear? Stuff like you see on Tumblr with hashtag #menswear and similar: street wear, Americana, avant-garde, anti-establishment clothing, Sprezzatura's mix and similar?

Anything (books, articles, essays, ebooks, websites) relevant to that kind of style - shoes, accessories, etc. - would also be greatly appreciated!!

I'd say The Suit: A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style by Nicholas Antongiavanni.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That book was useless without pics.

Also the bit alleging that the success or lack theor of various presidents being a factor of their level of style while obviously tongue in cheek was a waste of ink IMO.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That book was useless without pics.

Also the bit alleging that the success or lack theor of various presidents being a factor of their level of style while obviously tongue in cheek was a waste of ink IMO.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The strand has a copy of Flussers Clothes and the Man for $35. It's a good out of print reference.

bradp

Reaction score
Regarding those titles that have multiple editions, do you gents think it's crucial to read the latest one? For example, there is a cheap copy of style and the man on ebay, but its the 1996 version.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Regarding those titles that have multiple editions, do you gents think it's crucial to read the latest one? For example, there is a cheap copy of style and the man on ebay, but its the 1996 version. 

I can't speak to every title, obviously, but of the titles I've own multiple copies of -- in different versions -- they've more or less been the same across the board. I have found that the latest versions of Roetzel are better than old ones, but only really worth buying if you don't mind spending the money, or if you haven't owned the older versions. Almost every other title has been too similar to care about (between versions).

The exception are guides to perfumes and fragrances, which must be updated because houses change formulas. So, if you're reading an old version of a book, the description and rating of some scent might not properly reflect what you might buy on the market.

Last edited:

The Thin Man

Reaction score
I would go with the 1996 Style and the Man. It has an outdated but interesting section on stores that isn't in the more recent edition.

bradp

Reaction score
I can't speak to every title, obviously, but of the titles I've own multiple copies of -- in different versions -- they've more or less been the same across the board. I have found that the latest versions of Roetzel are better than old ones, but only really worth buying if you don't mind spending the money, or if you haven't owned the older versions. Almost every other title has been too similar to care about (between versions).

The exception are guides to perfumes and fragrances, which must be updated because houses change formulas. So, if you're reading an old version of a book, the description and rating of some scent might not properly reflect what you might buy on the market.

I would go with the 1996 Style and the Man. It has an outdated but interesting section on stores that isn't in the more recent edition.
Thanks fellas. Order placed
teacha.gif

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received it yesterday, finished reading it today. The book is mostly a collection of occasional pieces by Boyer, with some chapters written expressly for the book. Some of them appeared in Will Boehlke's "A Suitable Wardrobe" blog. There is no particular system or sequence to the book. For example, the first chapter is devoted to "The Ascot" (with some general discussion of men's neckwear). Chapter 2 is on "Boots," Chapter 3 on "Bowties." The chapters are scarcely proportionate to the subjects. For example "Turtlenecks" merit six pages, "Suits" a little more than seven! The book could have stood more rigorous fact-checking and proofreading, e.g., "hoards [sic] of men."

However, it is by Boyer, which means that it is knowledgeable, perceptive, informative, witty and entertaining. Does it live up to its claim of being "The History and Principles of Classic Menswear"? Probably not. Do I regret having purchased it and read it? Emphatically not! I shall probably be re-reading many of his chapters quite a few times in the months and years to come.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There is no particular system or sequence to the book. For example, the first chapter is devoted to "The Ascot" (with some general discussion of men's neckwear). Chapter 2 is on "Boots," Chapter 3 on "Bowties."

Chapters are actually arranged alphabetically.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads