• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ZenSilk

Reaction score
Hey all, I received this pair a few months ago but did not get a chance to wear them immediately. I asked nicely for an unlisted leather, Navy CXL, and Kyle at Baker's was able to oblige! Or get White's to oblige...

Pictured below with natural lighting from a window, inside my home. Blue and black laces included for comparison and to hopefully display the leather color. As always with Nay CXL, it looks really blue in certain lighting, and very dark blue in other lighting. I'll have some wear photos posted eventually.

Compared to CXL used in something like a Wolverine 1K this stuff from White's is much heavier and thicker! I know we always hear that, but it's clearly completely spot-on. I was not expecting the break-in period to last months, but, it has. I wear them 2-4 times a week and, despite the dog claw marks, they are still looking closer to fresh out the box than I had imagined they would! They will be great for fall & spring, maybe even non-snow days in winter!

Netvine

Reaction score
Question for anyone who has tried a double midsole... thinking about trying it for my next build, any thoughts on break in? For me it’s mostly for the aesthetic, but any notice of extra comfort once broken in?

Yes!!! Very much more comfortable 55 double vs single. The footbed forms much deeper. What it lacks for me, in 8.5D is flexibility. The toes dont bend as easily and its Much heavier. But, You dont really feel the weight when they are on. From what I have read into what Hoppy_IPA has written, I gather that my shorter foot is the reason for lack of flexibility. I would imagine in a longer size its not as much of an issue. My double Midsoles are my goto for comfort.

thewinedown

Reaction score
Hey all, I received this pair a few months ago but did not get a chance to wear them immediately. I asked nicely for an unlisted leather, Navy CXL, and Kyle at Baker's was able to oblige! Or get White's to oblige...

Pictured below with natural lighting from a window, inside my home. Blue and black laces included for comparison and to hopefully display the leather color. As always with Nay CXL, it looks really blue in certain lighting, and very dark blue in other lighting. I'll have some wear photos posted eventually.

View attachment 1232858

Compared to CXL used in something like a Wolverine 1K this stuff from White's is much heavier and thicker! I know we always hear that, but it's clearly completely spot-on. I was not expecting the break-in period to last months, but, it has. I wear them 2-4 times a week and, despite the dog claw marks, they are still looking closer to fresh out the box than I had imagined they would! They will be great for fall & spring, maybe even non-snow days in winter!
Those are awesome. Wht was the build time? Looks like no celastic toe box?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes!!! Very much more comfortable 55 double vs single. The footbed forms much deeper. What it lacks for me, in 8.5D is flexibility. The toes dont bend as easily and its Much heavier. But, You dont really feel the weight when they are on. From what I have read into what Hoppy_IPA has written, I gather that my shorter foot is the reason for lack of flexibility. I would imagine in a longer size its not as much of an issue. My double Midsoles are my goto for comfort.
That’s great to hear! I’m a 9.5D, so I’m not sure if that extra inch is enough to make the flexibility more apparent, but I think the double midsole looks cool and more vintage looking to me. I’m hoping to source some leather for Bakers to send over to whites and go from there. Hoping to get a build in before the year is over.

ZenSilk

Reaction score
Those are awesome. Wht was the build time? Looks like no celastic toe box?

In late April when I ordered, build time was 5.5 weeks, which is the standard summer build time I believe (I had MP's built last year during late summer with the exact same timeframe).

They are indeed soft toe, I really like how sleek the toe profile looks on the MP, especially after it has worn and starts to curve upwards, very sleek and narrow. The rolls/ripples of the Navy MP's are just starting to come through, and the CXL is so nice that there isn't even any creasing, just smooth waves. My other MP's, in Black Dress, creased within a week and I would consider them broken in fully in about 3 weeks for comparison.

thewinedown

Reaction score
In late April when I ordered, build time was 5.5 weeks, which is the standard summer build time I believe (I had MP's built last year during late summer with the exact same timeframe).

They are indeed soft toe, I really like how sleek the toe profile looks on the MP, especially after it has worn and starts to curve upwards, very sleek and narrow. The rolls/ripples of the Navy MP's are just starting to come through, and the CXL is so nice that there isn't even any creasing, just smooth waves. My other MP's, in Black Dress, creased within a week and I would consider them broken in fully in about 3 weeks for comparison.
Sweet. Post more pics of these if you can!

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s a good looking boot from the Instagram of Mansway, a Taiwanese store that often has interesting White’s builds you don’t see elsewhere. Like sort of a cross between a bounty Hunter and the new MP boot. I suppose it’s a BH with the toecap option...

6914B265-C1AD-4B4F-B98B-0586DDF1193F.jpeg

mlwdp

Reaction score
My triple midsole Smokejumpers made a brief appearance today as I’m getting antsy for boot weather. The leather laces make the boot feel pretty loose on the feet unlike the nylon laces.

Attachments

• F19D6941-63F5-4F2A-847C-89104467093F.jpeg
    F19D6941-63F5-4F2A-847C-89104467093F.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 259

pbrmhl

Reaction score
My triple midsole Smokejumpers made a brief appearance today as I’m getting antsy for boot weather. The leather laces make the boot feel pretty loose on the feet unlike the nylon laces.

I’m also getting antsy about boot weather. I wear sandals all summer long, but today I spent some quality time with my Smooth Distressed Semi Dress boots in my hands, just to get them ready.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m also getting antsy about boot weather. I wear sandals all summer long, but today I spent some quality time with my Smooth Distressed Semi Dress boots in my hands, just to get them ready.
Come to Maine! Boot weather all year round... it was 49F (9C) at my place last week (admittedly first think in the morning after a cold night, but still... it was August). I find that once I got used to the arch ease, my feet do not feel as good in any footwear without it...

In the summer I wear unlined lighter leathers with leather soles, and they breathe really well for a PNW boot with all that leather. In the winters, it is lined Whites made with heavier leathers and Vibram soles...

I was skeptical at first, but wearing good wool socks even in the summer makes a big difference. One would think wool would make your feet hotter in the summer, but I find it is the opposite... granted Maine in the summer is in the 80s with occasional 90s, and I would not try this in India or Niger, but for Maine, which I suppose is similar to the PNW (at least east of the Cascades) we get to wear White's (all three of us who do not wear LL Bean boots - which are like a religion up here) all year round.

Sledge42

Reaction score
Honest question here: What defines "boot weather?" I live in the Midwest and wear a different pair of boots every day. 25 degrees or 106, I have on a pair of boots. Do some of you folks "put your boots away" when it is hot and only wear them in say spring and fall?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honest question here: What defines "boot weather?" I live in the Midwest and wear a different pair of boots every day. 25 degrees or 106, I have on a pair of boots. Do some of you folks "put your boots away" when it is hot and only wear them in say spring and fall?

I'm with you. Anytime I am wearing long pants I wear boots, whatever the weather. It certainly gets hot in our nation's capital, but my feet being hot is the last thing I think about when I'm sweating through a DC summer.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair point... I will say that there are some places which are just too hot for boots unless they are truly and absolutely necessary - either for protection or required by your employer... I am thinking Vietnam, India, parts of Africa, etc. When in places like this, I try to dress how the natives dress (this works for the Arctic too), figuring they have more experience in dealing with the climate than this Yankee.

I have spent time in places so hot and humid that leather boots of any kind would sweat through, and you needed to change your socks constantly...in those cases Gore Tex was a godsend. In the lower 48 however, with the possible exception of Florida and parts of the Gulf Coast in the summer, you don't get the combination of heat and humidity that lead to"swamp-foot"...

I love PNW boots, but if I lived in a really hot, humid climate, I would likely put them up for the summer too.

@Neognosis could likely comment, he has traveled all over the world - including Africa IIRC - in his White's... and has pictures to prove it!

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, a matching question for those of you who know more about fashion than me — which is going to be everyone! Is it still a no-no to wear a black belt with brown boots? Not a dressy occasion, fairly casual.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abhormonetherapy