• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

miggyramone

Reaction score
I ask cause a guy on youtube was talking about how one of his boots started squeaking a few months in with a half sole. I read similar things on reddit, more so about them delaminating or wearing out faster.

NorthCoast

Reaction score
I ask cause a guy on youtube was talking about how one of his boots started squeaking a few months in with a half sole. I read similar things on reddit, more so about them delaminating or wearing out faster.

I ended up with Half Soles on my Nicks. I bought them in waxed flesh so I could wear them in the snow and slush. Well, the waxed leather isn't really 'warm' and actually seems to pull in cold more.

On top of that, the exposed sole from the half sole will get wet and I think add to the cold.

So depending on your application, I'd go 430. I have several pairs of 430's and I like them a lot though I do agree, the half soles are cool looking, it's just, no one but us every look.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
I’m In the process of converting to full rubber soles myself. $150/a pair avg. I will fully own up to my love for full leather heal stacks & leather soles but need to declare I have accepted they do not work for my lifestyle.

In regards to the infamous White’s squeak.. I’ve recently had good results applying Lexol to the welt & HDLP to the sole. Wish I could confirm this is effective but found it worth reporting

Side note: I priced out resoles & Bakers seems to be my best option. White’s is the most expensive, local (well regarded cobbler slightly least expensive) & Bakers landing the middle but having the best outline of what you get for your dollar.

Here is the price I was quoted for a resole of my Bounty Hunters (round trip shipping excluded)
Base price is $140. Lead time is 6-8 weeks.
Included in that price:
  • New outsoles, midsoles and heels
  • Re-stitch any bad seams
  • New false tongues and laces
  • New sock liners
  • Replace any worn hooks or eyes
  • Cleaning and oiling
  • Reblocking
As you can see, Bakers is beyond thorough. Whites could hardly give me an answer on what they’ll do & my local cobbler seemed like my time on the phone was quite a annoying.
I wanted to have White’s do the job but the local shop’s convenience was appealing. Ultimately Baker’s transparency & detailed service list won me over. Its frustrating to outsource cobbler work but it’s relieving to have a reliable place you can count on

Phalanx

Reaction score
Sorry to ask annoying questions, I may have asked this before:

What's the actual point of lining the boot? Is it because some rough sides of leather are pretty abrasive?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to ask annoying questions, I may have asked this before:

What's the actual point of lining the boot? Is it because some rough sides of leather are pretty abrasive?

While it can be leather specific, my understanding that having a liner gives more structural integrity for lighter or thinner leathers that may require it, i.e., having the shaft of a boot lined.

I personally prefer it on all my boots as it’s nicer imo and it feels more comfortable to me. Some may like unlined for reduced weight and/or breathability.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
I’ve asked this question before but would like hear from as many folks as possible:

How does the 690 last fit compared to the 55?

I think I’m finally go pull the trigger on a pair but want to get the right size.

Also - what does everyone think about a toe cap on the 690 Packer? I’d be doing a Brown Horse Hide build & am leaning towards brogue toe cap but unclear how it would mesh with this style.

Thanks for your input

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve asked this question before but would like hear from as many folks as possible:

How does the 690 last fit compared to the 55?

I think I’m finally go pull the trigger on a pair but want to get the right size.

Also - what does everyone think about a toe cap on the 690 Packer? I’d be doing a Brown Horse Hide build & am leaning towards brogue toe cap but unclear how it would mesh with this style.

Thanks for your input
Much tighter in the ball and toe and lots more arch support. Where the 55 last works well for most foot shapes, the 690 may not be for you if you have a wide ball and toes like I do. To get the ball and toe area wide enough for comfort, I had to go so wide and long that my heel was swimming.

As far as a cap toe Packer, I don't know... I have never been a fan of toe caps on pointed boots, but hey it is your money...

discomute

Reaction score
Oh totally. I may be in the minority here, but I like what White's and other companies have done, creating make-ups to appeal to new audiences. This is what you do to grow your business. If you want these companies to stay around, you want them to be successful. For the price point, the MP & main street boots are pretty sweet.

Well I literally found whites and this thread because I was looking for formal boots I could wear with a suit that wasn't a Chelsea (although probably can't even with MS)

Can I ask you what the arch support in your MS is like?

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No arch support really. It's nothing like the arch-ease support in the semi-dress boots.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yeah, very little arch support in the MPs, whereas the arch-ease in SDs is epic.

A lot of people find the MPs comfortable, but I found I couldn't wear their Barrie last at all, even when correctly sized. The forefoot is curved in a way my feet can't tolerate and I sure did miss the arch support of the SDs.

Too bad for me, as the MPs are good looking boots.

sambam

Reaction score
^Yeah, very little arch support in the MPs, whereas the arch-ease in SDs is epic.

A lot of people find the MPs comfortable, but I found I couldn't wear their Barrie last at all, even when correctly sized. The forefoot is curved in a way my feet can't tolerate and I sure did miss the arch support of the SDs.

Too bad for me, as the MPs are good looking boots.
Hang tight. Prototyping the first 5050 last on an MP this week. 55 last in the heel and arch and MP last at the ball and toe.

miggyramone

Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions guys!

Those of you who own both the Bounty Hunter and the Semi Dress - if you wear your BH's without the false tongue, is the spacing when laced up the same as on the SD's? Or are the uppers cut a bit wider to accommodate the false tongue? I get about an inch and a quarter between the eyelets when my SD's are laced up. If I get the BH's, I most likely won't be using the false tongue. I don't want the eyelets to touch though.

Am I missing out on anything by going with a cut top over a rolled top?

Thanks guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads