• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicken1616

Reaction score
^Wow that's a bit of a database they have gathered, thanks for the link! There was the other Japanese site with similar focus on the possibilities when building a boot, but this one looks even more comprehensive.

On the subject of the standard last, the toe can sometimes appear very sleek. Actually I thought White's had mistakenly listed the last as 4811 on this eBay item, but they confirmed it is what it says it is:

s-l1600.jpg

The combination of the leather and the unstructured toe (at least that's how I explain it) makes it look very 55ish to me.
Those are sweet. I would have bought them...if they were anywhere close to my size.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^those look great to me. I love natural CXL & the patina it develops. what don’t you like about them?
I think the term patina is a bit generous for this leather. Filson bags patina, Natty CXL just gets dark and relatively flat. I also dislike the oily hand feel residue you get every time you touch them. Must I most dislike how dramatically the pull-up make the boots look like they were patched together with 4 different colors. Reminds me of clown shoes.

Whirling

Reaction score
I think the term patina is a bit generous for this leather. Filson bags patina, Natty CXL just gets dark and relatively flat. I also dislike the oily hand feel residue you get every time you touch them. Must I most dislike how dramatically the pull-up make the boots look like they were patched together with 4 different colors. Reminds me of clown shoes.
No, really, how do you feel about Natural CXL? :)

Seriously. Although I like the look of Natural CXL, I don't actually have much that goes with it. Push comes to shove, black and brown, sometimes Burgundy/maroon (Color #8) is all I really wear.

sambam

Reaction score
Ok, cool. A couple more questions, then: for the Nomad, it looks like I can't get the shaft in standard oiltan leathers, so if I want an all-black boot I have to go black smooth for the vamp/counter and black CXL for the shaft? No big deal, just curious. Also, and this is a long shot: is it possible to get either of these boots with a shorter shaft?
You can get the nomad in all oil. Or cxcel. A 10 inch top is available in the nomad also .

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, really, how do you feel about Natural CXL? :)

Seriously. Although I like the look of Natural CXL, I don't actually have much that goes with it. Push comes to shove, black and brown, sometimes Burgundy/maroon (Color #8) is all I really wear.
Lol wish people were a little more realistic about its properties. Some of that for sure is my own color/hue preference and bias. When these are super stretched and new, damn that toasted honey color is fantastic. I also didn't realize how many of the great Natural CXL photos that are out there are fairly edited which skews their actual look (IMHO)

chicken1616

Reaction score
I hope you guys realize that maybe one in one thousand people you see, may even recognize what color your shoes are.

chicken1616

Reaction score
I am, ahem, ...an "older" person. I have worked at some very "manual labor" type jobs in my life. However, I can put together a set of clothes. I go to college full time now. While it is warm, I generally wear a polo shirt and khakis, which puts me as better dressed than 99% of the other students. A couple of weeks ago, I attended a couple of events on campus. On one day, I wore a cream colored linen jacket, a Brooks Brothers seersucker tie, a pair of cuffed very light tan pants, tan wingtips, and a Dobbs straw panama. Pretty low key, but obviously a step up from usual. Outside of the event, I got a couple of "Oh, you dressed up today" comments, and one of my 40 something female professors told me I "looked like I was from the South." I put a lot of effort in matching colors and styles, etc. and that is how much people noticed. Not that I was expecting anything different.:bigstar: Of course, if my buddies from the railroad had seen me, they would have laughed their asses off.

Last edited:

b1lf

Reaction score
I am, ahem, ...an "older" person. I have worked at some very "manual labor" type jobs in my life. However, I can put together a set of clothes. I go to college full time now. While it is warm, I generally wear a polo shirt and khakis, which puts me as better dressed than 99% of the other students. A couple of weeks ago, I attended a couple of events on campus. On one day, I wore a cream colored linen jacket, a Brooks Brothers seersucker tie, a pair of cuffed very light tan pants, tan wingtips, and a Dobbs straw panama. Pretty low key, but obviously a step up from usual. Outside of the event, I got a couple of "Oh, you dressed up today" comments, and one of my 40 something female professors told me I "looked like I was from the South." I put a lot of effort in matching colors and styles, etc. and that is how much people noticed. Not that I was expecting anything different.:bigstar: Of course, if my buddies from the railroad had seen me, they would have laughed their asses off.

Hahahahahaha

chicken1616

Reaction score
I actually like the younger Millennial Generation around here (Denver Metro) in general, but most of them dress (and smell) as if they crawled out of the alley they have been sleeping in the last 5 days (metaphorically, of course). Let us say, that they are not concerned the least with their appearance. Maybe that is a good thing.

sambam

Reaction score
New collab with @mannanrenz. Good friends M&R exclusive MP Officer boot with brogue cap toe. Contact them for options and more details. Great start up company that is partnering with heritage brand footwear and apperal companies .

MP_360_Black-5_1_62ae130e-5f4c-4e33-9b7f-458bb6f87758_700x.jpg

IMG_7615_de20e0ec-ae75-42cb-8283-77709e6a56b0_700x.jpg

Whirling

Reaction score
I hope you guys realize that maybe one in one thousand people you see, may even recognize what color your shoes are.

I guess your work doesn't involve people licking your boots? j/k

Seriously, you are right. We dress up for our own sakes. However, I think there may be a subconscious effect. Like that meme, but she doesn't know the reason she is discarding her panties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads