• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Structured toe uses a thin piece of celastic inbetween the layers of leather to keep the structure of the toe in-tact.  

It's much different than a steel or composite toe.

There you go. So I was missing something. There's:

Unstructured
Structured
Composite/Steel toe.

TH3515

Reaction score
Quote: It's even better: there's actually

• Unstructured aka soft toe
  • single celastic toe
  • double celastic toe
  • composite toe
  • steel toe
  • steel toe plus external metatarsal guard

But only the first two are actually relevant for fashion/casual use. Smokejumpers are soft toe by default and develop a „natural“ bubble toe look with a short but pronounced bulge at the front end of the toe area – so they'll often look like this:

For the celastic toe, I think the celastic layer(s) is (are) added before the boot is lasted and thus conform pretty well to the toe shape as defined by the last. However, they are still visible, and even the single celastic is really strong stuff – it's not your typical semi-rigid toe reinforcement and can be painful on incorrectly sized boots, but the toe box will keep its shape and will keep the leather nice and tight forever.
Composite and steel toes probably come pre-formed so the boot will have its toe shape defined by them. I find they ruin the look of the boots but that's just my taste – some people will probably love the resulting aesthetics. However, I don't think anybody will ever don metatarsal guard boots unless really required;-)

sambam

Reaction score
Talked with **** last week. He was asking about waxed flesh. So we are having horween send us 4 different sample hides. Stay tuned looks like good stuff.

Americanaaa

Reaction score
Yes our intro to the quote "service boot" will be the MP. Military police boot. After the footwear news platform show in Las Vegas the week of Feb 20 we should be open for orders on this model. If our lasts come in by then. Built on barrie last. 2 soles. Redone half lug (commando sole) and dainite sole. Most leathers will be available. No wb or french calf as of yet. I will keep you all informed.
Can you do this boot as a nomad?

I'm thinking of getting a nomad with the C46 but this last looks great too

Royteane

Reaction score
My composite toe now is more than 2 years old. I sometimes slip inside the boots due to my long foot short toe and the boots plenty inside space.

sambam

Reaction score
Sounds pretty cool. Once we get our new products out this spring and I have a minute to breathe, lets follow up on this topic. Would be good if we had waxed flesh in by then. I really like the look of that stuff.

sambam

Reaction score

Can you do this boot as a nomad?

I'm thinking of getting a nomad with the C46 but this last looks great too

The nomad takes a specific last. 9165. Not sure if the vamps would fit on a 461. The barrie last will be specific to the MP and lifestyle line for now.

Motocowboy

Reaction score
Sounds pretty cool. Once we get our new products out this spring and I have a minute to breathe, lets follow up on this topic. Would be good if we had waxed flesh in by then. I really like the look of that stuff.

I and many other will be looking for the option of waxed flesh. I always liked rough out until it got flattened down and looked smooth. It did not show the nicks as much as hair side out leather but was much harder to maintain for me. Now it is being used on some working cowboy boots and I am very interested.

Motocowboy

Reaction score
Sambam,

Is the packer with a safety toe steel or composite? How would you say it effects toe room on the 690 Packer?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads