• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harold L C

Reaction score
Hey guys I need a bit of advice. I want to buy a pair of White's boots. My dad uses the packers and I am actually wearing an old pair of his right now. I need the high arch that they have but i want something kind of dressy. I am a carpenter and spend a lot of long days in the shop but i want them dressy because I am also the kitchen designer and meet with customers. I have thought about getting the Packers in dry tan distressed leather. any thoughts?

Royteane

Reaction score

Hey guys I need a bit of advice. I want to buy a pair of White's boots. My dad uses the packers and I am actually wearing an old pair of his right now. I need the high arch that they have but i want something kind of dressy. I am a carpenter and spend a lot of long days in the shop but i want them dressy because I am also the kitchen designer and meet with customers. I have thought about getting the Packers in dry tan distressed leather. any thoughts?

For dressy leather my choice is probably British tan. I always think about @Neognosis Oxford in page 289, it is polishable to shine almost like shell, it also soft and durable as it is a kind of cxl. My poor that Kyle don't allow me using BT for my latest order so I switched to distressed smooth.
If you have narrow foot packer should be fine, but for wide foot like mine the semi-deress last should fit better.

Last edited:

Harold L C

Reaction score
For dressy leather my choice is probably British tan. I always think about Neognosis Oxford in page 289, it is polishable to shine almost like shell, it also soft and durable as it is a kind of cxl. My poor that Kyle don't allow me using BT for my latest order so I switched to distressed smooth.
If you have narrow foot packer should be fine, but for wide foot like mine the semi-deress last should fit better.
So you prefer the british tan over the distressed smooth? My foot is narrow enough that the packer is fine.

sambam

Reaction score
Our new pallet of British tan is much softer than our last one. Better color too. Nice stuff.

Royteane

Reaction score
Im not sure which one you prefer between healthy shiny one and sturdy looking one
On shiny side I prefer British tan over distressed, you can check shiny distressed smooth on page 173 campare to Neognosis British tan.
But for sturdy side, for me it's just distressed and may cxl to be considered.
All leather do scuff, wether my super care taking baby shell C&J. You can use colored shoe cream and brush to relieve the scuff if it's to too bad one.
@sambam , can you show the new batch sample?

Last edited:

Neognosis

Reaction score

My Brit tan does scuff easily, but Not as easily as my color 8 cxl. I can also get a mirror shine on my BT, but not on my brown kudu or color 8 cxl. I'm pretty thrilled with the BT.

Last edited:

aelfewulf

Reaction score
Santa had a surprise for me...
nO41LLr.jpg

Sk1RsB6.jpg

ABSOLUTELY LOVE EM! Thank you White's and Baker's.

Details:
Distressed smooth & distressed roughout, unlined
Semi-dress last (bounty hunter)
8 inch
Soft toe
Close trim
Nickel hardware
Honey vibram soles

Merry Christmas everyone!

Warpiper

Reaction score
Merry Christmas, gentlemen!

Harold, there are over 8,000 posts here regarding the boots that we love so much. Most of us have read every one of them and it is tempting to advise you to sift through it all since this is a question that has come up many times. But, in the spirit of Christmas I will give you a brief rundown of how the conversation usually goes:

Newby:Can someone tell me about cxl? I'm new here and I heard that it scuffs easy. Is that true? I also heard that it stretches. Should I get them lined?

Expert #1: that question has been asked a million times! Go back and read all of the posts like the rest of us! Only then will you be worthy to discuss boots with the mighty boot masters!

Expert #2: Sorry about #1. He is crabby that he is on week six of his re-sole and there is no end in sight. Cxl is soft. It does scuff easily. It doesn't shine up as much.

Expert#3: It might scuff easy, but so does yo momma! The difference is you can buff the scuff out of the cxl.

Expert #4: if you get the cxl, you have to get it lined! Mine stretched so much that now the eyelets overlap!

expert #5: I have cxl and they haven't stretched at all and they are unlined. Or, maybe they are lined. I don't know.

Expert #6: I've had my cxl work boots for years and never had a problem. I'm an IT supervisor.

The fact is that there are a lot of opinions and most of them have merit. It really depends on what you are using the boots for. I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile, two tone boots that I love the looks of. They are cxl and have really stretched. It doesn't really bother me because they are a casual, rarely worn boot. I have a pair of White's natural cxl that are work boots that I do actual work in and they are awesome! The fit and support are great and they haven't stretched. They will take a pretty good shine. I use Saphir because it's the best. But you generally are not going to get a mirror shine. The best advice is get a couple of different pairs and see what you like best.

I hope that a lot of you got boots under your tree! We haven't opened presents yet but there is one package that looks mighty suspicious....

Neognosis

Reaction score

Does any one have pictures of how the british tan looks after several years?

Mine in the pic above are 18 months old, but have been worn pretty hardand probably 3 or 4 days a week, in the desert, rain, snow, and on several continents.

I'll take more pics if requested.

Maintenance has been brushing every few days and a proper whine once or twice a month.

Once you get a good layer of wax in the toe and heel, brushing alone brings back a bit of the mirror.

Motocowboy

Reaction score
I am new to the forum but not new to White's Boots. Don't worry about the marks.

I own 7 pairs of White's Boots:
1 SJ, 1 SD, 1 Cowboy Pac Boots, and 4 pairs of 690 Packer Boots.

My oldest pair of Packers are at the factory now for repair and the tongs are being replaced. This is the second rebuild on the boots in 30 years! One tong was torn near the seam at the bottom (Probably from dirt, my neglect) the other was a rip from the top down from pulling the boots on. (Over the years my feet have gotten wider.) Your eyelets will not wear through the tong for years and years.

Enjoy your White's!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads