• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Shirts in Atlanta

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Starting a new job in a few weeks that requires a step up in formality. I have enough shirts to hold me over for a while, but honestly want to take the first step to replacing my current "office" shirts with custom ones. I've done some searching on Google and the forvm and have come up with the following list:

Custom Suit Shop
Miller Brothers
Atlanta Alterations
Hong Kong Tailors

I have a shirt from Sid that I do like, but at $155 a pop, I was wondering if there were options a step down that will make for good work horses (read: conservative button-downs and OCBDs). The most intriguing on the list above is Atlanta Alterations. There is no mention of them here, but online the dude who runs the place (Saint F. Marc) seems top have a tremendous reputation.

I don't necessarily need anything fancy, and would like to stay around the $100 level if possible, but if anyone has any experience with the above tailors or others, I'd be thankful for any insight.

Thanks in advance.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having lived 7 years in Atlanta, I'd say Sid is your best (and probably only) option there.

Was not very excited about what I have seen at Atlanta Alterations and Hong Kong Tailors. Never heard about Miller Brothers...might be worth checking out.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting out of agency work?

On Sid Mashburn - while I love the quality of the shirts, I find the fit terrible. Baggy around the waist, tight on the shoulders, and the cut of the tails has me constantly tucking them back in. 'Course custom is something totally different.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Yessir. Onto the incredibly sexy world of software sales and IT consulting. Just as you told me, it was only a matter of time before a sales career came a'calling.

Christopher Essex

Reaction score

Starting a new job in a few weeks that requires a step up in formality. I have enough shirts to hold me over for a while, but honestly want to take the first step to replacing my current "office" shirts with custom ones. I've done some searching on Google and the forvm and have come up with the following list:
Custom Suit Shop
Miller Brothers
Atlanta Alterations
Hong Kong Tailors
I have a shirt from Sid that I do like, but at $155 a pop, I was wondering if there were options a step down that will make for good work horses (read: conservative button-downs and OCBDs). The most intriguing on the list above is Atlanta Alterations. There is no mention of them here, but online the dude who runs the place (Saint F. Marc) seems top have a tremendous reputation.
I don't necessarily need anything fancy, and would like to stay around the $100 level if possible, but if anyone has any experience with the above tailors or others, I'd be thankful for any insight.
Thanks in advance.

Have you given some thought to using Luxire? I have ordered one and I'm about to get 6 more.

The fit is great (assuming you do the measurements correctly) and the quality is very good, in my opinion. Finally, they are priced very competitively (most below your threshold).

Try one out and see how it goes.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Haven't thought about doing an online shirt maker. Personally I prefer interaction with a tailor or at least an informed SA. If nothing else, you can look someone face-to-face if there is a problem with your shirt. I also feel that, since places offering custom shirts likely do a fair amount of them, their eye will be far more expert than mine when it comes to getting the right measurements and details.

All that said, I might get my measurements taken by a tailor and try my luck. Looks like there are some decent fabrics on the Luxire site and if I can clock out around $100 with a great fit, then it's less important to me where they come from. I'll have a look, thanks for the suggestion.

Christopher Essex

Reaction score

Haven't thought about doing an online shirt maker. Personally I prefer interaction with a tailor or at least an informed SA. If nothing else, you can look someone face-to-face if there is a problem with your shirt. I also feel that, since places offering custom shirts likely do a fair amount of them, their eye will be far more expert than mine when it comes to getting the right measurements and details.
All that said, I might get my measurements taken by a tailor and try my luck. Looks like there are some decent fabrics on the Luxire site and if I can clock out around $100 with a great fit, then it's less important to me where they come from. I'll have a look, thanks for the suggestion.

I would also suggest measuring a shirt you think fits you well - taking actual measurements from a tailor and then ordering a MTM online shirt based on those measurements would likely result in a shirt that's too tight in all areas - you need to leave a little room for free movement.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Just read through the Luxire thread. Looks pretty legit. And the customization level is pretty intriguing. I'll likely go home and pick pieces of my favorite shirts. Honestly I don't have one shirt that fits perfectly (hence the need for custom) so I'll likely pick and choose the best elements from multiple shirts.

Christopher Essex

Reaction score

Just read through the Luxire thread. Looks pretty legit. And the customization level is pretty intriguing. I'll likely go home and pick pieces of my favorite shirts. Honestly I don't have one shirt that fits perfectly (hence the need for custom) so I'll likely pick and choose the best elements from multiple shirts.

That's what I did - I measured several shirts (based on their recommended areas) and took the best-fitting parts and put them together.

For example, 15.5 collars usually fit fine when I get the shirts but start to get snug after a few washings. So I went with 15.75.

Also some cuffs are so tight I almost have to unbutton them to get my hands through them and have to wear an extra-thin watch with them. So, I adjusted that measurement slightly.

If you select the less expensive fabrics ($59.95) for a test shirt, you really can't go wrong. If adjustments need to be made for future shirts, you can quickly do so.

And, if you decide it won't work out for you, you've only invested $60 and not $150 or more.

Good luck!

jh413

Reaction score
In case anyone is still monitoring this thread, there's a new shop in town call Trio Customs that recently opened up a shop at 14th and State in West Midtown. The co-founder is a neighbor of mine, and they do good work. I'd love to hear other peoples' experience with them as well.

Renton

Reaction score
Since this thread has been bumped, how did things work out with Luxire?

It's also a little late to help, but I've bought a number of shirts from Miller Brothers over the years. They use Individualized Shirts for their custom shirts, not bad but I'm going between custom at Sid's and Hamilton in Houston to find what I really want.

Luvwine

Reaction score
I get my shirts through custom clothiers of Atlanta. They are located near Perimeter on Barfield Road. Shirts are not cheap, but they are made to measure and they have a huge selection of fabrics. When my collars and/ or cuffs wear out, they put new ones on for $30 each. This greatly extends the life of the shirts. I also had some shirts made for me through Guffeys in Buckhead, but I have liked the shirts I got from CCA much better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads