• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuff Link Damage

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer the first pair. But part of the difference may just be the photo. Assuming the lapis is actually the same shade, then the second one would look better than it does now.

The first pair has a straight bar while the second has a curved bar. I'm redesigning some of my cuff links and considered using a curved bar but I really don't think it makes sense. When you're wearing your cuff links, the links really lay straight, or at a very slight curve. The degree of curve on the second pair is much too high.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I prefer the first pair. But part of the difference may just be the photo. Assuming the lapis is actually the same shade, then the second one would look better than it does now. The first pair has a straight bar while the second has a curved bar. I'm redesigning some of my cuff links and considered using a curved bar but I really don't think it makes sense. When you're wearing your cuff links, the links really lay straight, or at a very slight curve. The degree of curve on the second pair is much too high.
Thank you. Is it the colour of the lapis that makes the difference to you, or is the design of the clasp (holder) as well?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Both are important, but both pairs are probably gold, so the metal part should look the same between the two. I do prefer the darker shade of lapis, but most likely they are also the same.

I also just prefer the petal design of the first pair.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

OR

first by a landslide.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I answered a page back, but the stone is definitely more appealing -- if those representations are accurate -- and the setting is just more aesthetically pleasing, IMO.

Last edited:

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quite pleased with how the hand engraving turned out. Virtually similar to the template.

I was a bit stumped by the bill, however. They quoted me 20 pounds per letter, so I was quite shocked when I was presented with a 120 pounds (+ VAT) bill. Forgot that I wasn't just getting one cufflink engraved. BAH.

grouch

Reaction score
Is there any way to get a sense of what vintage cufflinks are worth? I have seen some cufflinks I'd be willing to buy for listed prices ($300-500 above melt value), but I don't know how much give the seller might have. The links I'm looking at are from Carrington & Co. and Wordley, Allsopp & Bliss.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quite pleased with how the hand engraving turned out. Virtually similar to the template.

I was a bit stumped by the bill, however. They quoted me 20 pounds per letter, so I was quite shocked when I was presented with a 120 pounds (+ VAT) bill. Forgot that I wasn't just getting one cufflink engraved. BAH.

I was just about to ask where you got these done as I was thinking of getting a pair of cufflinks engraved and had no idea where to go. At that price, I'll keep looking!!

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there any way to get a sense of what vintage cufflinks are worth? I have seen some cufflinks I'd be willing to buy for listed prices ($300-500 above melt value), but I don't know how much give the seller might have. The links I'm looking at are from Carrington & Co. and Wordley, Allsopp & Bliss.

Prices vary wildly.

In my experience, while the maker matters, what matters more is the metal. Base are well under $100 unless they have particularly nice enamelling. Sterling silver gets you to the $100 mark and up. And then gold goes up from there.

The second most important is quality--particularly with enamel. I find that age doesn't matter nearly as much as quality. So the latest hot style (say mid-century) but in crap shape is worth less than fine art deco. Etc.

As to the maker, I tend to shop at flea markets and small antiques shops and while the sellers notice materials and quality, they don't know the makers. And a lot of the antiques shops have no clue what they have--so they're either way under priced or way over priced. I picked up 18k gold links one day for $5 at a shop. And I've seen base metal with an asking price of $50.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads