• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cucinelli vs. Borrelli

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The Cucinelli stuff doesn't do it for me. The puffy vests, the look-at-me detailing ... just not my cuppa.

I think the craftsmanship and quality haven't changed much, but your perspective has. I think as people get older, they tend to move the sartorial bar--one that engenders expressions such as "that's enough or that's too much"-- a little bit lower. For me, I rather like the excessive ornamentation because it celebrates youth and virility. I can, with limitation, tell the poster's age by his comments.
smile.gif
But maybe it'll happen to me too.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
I think the craftsmanship and quality haven't changed much, but your perspective has. I think as people get older, they tend to move the sartorial bar--one that engenders expressions such as "that's enough or that's too much"-- a little bit lower. For me, I rather like the excessive ornamentation because it celebrates youth and virility. I can, with limitation, tell the poster's age by his comments.
smile.gif
But maybe it'll happen to me too.

How old do you think I am??

Atlantic herring

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
The only part about LB that does my head in is the hand-work comes undone very easily (buttons & seams).

I used a LB pant as a sample here in HKG & asked about how much hand work can we do within $$$..

They all laugh as they say HW is seen very favorably in Western countries but here in Asia not a big deal, but "can do" with better result in that no buttons stay on & seams are locked in. LOL

Stay tuned.

I've had problems with buttons falling of as well on my borrelli shirts. It happens almost on every shirt with at least on button. It's sad to see that they cut these corners when in a hole, they make pretty nice shirts. Never had a problem with a seem though.

Nicholas

Reaction score
I concur with the sediment of the thread - Borrelli seems to be at a overall higher appreciation curve, although I dislike the overall ostentatious styling from them both at times. I've got a few pieces of both; mostly cashmere sweaters from BC and trousers from Borrelli - which I think is the strongest offering from them respectively.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much agree with comments so far.
BC for Cashmere, as I have found their Shirts to be poorly constructed and ill fitting.
LB - Love their trousers, Shirts and Outerwear.
I would never, ever pay full retail for either though.

Montesquieu

Reaction score
Cucinelli.

I've posted on several other threads about the numerous disappointments I've experienced with Borrelli MTM shirts (6), RTW trousers (2), and a suit. I also own 4 of their ties and find the silk and patterns quite inferior to other Naples makers - Marinelli, Capelli, Attolini. I can not comment on their odd jackets because they don't stock them in my size. For what I have tried, which is a lot and all purchased directly in their boutiques in Italy, their product falls far short of reputation. I wish my money had been spent elsewhere.

Cucinelli is my favorite maker of casual RTW trousers, followed by Incotex. They fit (rise, hips, thighs, taper) far better than Borrelli on me. Cucinelli is also my favorite maker of cashmere sweaters. Their cashmere cost, pre- and post-discount, is the same as other top Italian brands - Loro Piana, Zanone, Malo, Avon Celli - so I don't think one can criticize them for being priced excessively. Their fit beats the others for me in the shoulders, chest, and waist. I'd rather have one Cucinelli sweater at full price than two of those others at half.

All that said, it wouldn't cross my mind to consider BC for the things in which Borrelli specializes (poorly, in my opinion) - shirts, suits, jackets, silk ties. I go to BC just for sweaters and casual trousers.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
egg zackly. Borrelli for most things except knits/cashmere....then the slight edge goes to BC

+1

Not terribly impressed with Cucinelli..

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Borrelli for strictly business. Cucinelli for anything slightly more casual than that (incl sport coats, knits, pants, coats, etc...). I do like some of Borrelli's casual outerwear too. BC makes my absolute favorite cashmere sweaters, along with Piacenza. I'm also generally impressed with the Bastian stuff.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a lot of affection for Borrelli Linosa/Sorrento jackets...here are some of mine:

508809900_yfcrA-L.jpg
503404764_Pm8ri-L.jpg
493328781_qPwMV-L.jpg

299631508_PsWF8-L.jpg
295163207_WYro8-L.jpg
373146314_N9GK2-L.jpg

I don't much like the more constructed Borrelli jackets, though. I have quite a lot of Borrelli shirts, but they date back ten years or more.

As for Cucinelli, I like some of the stuff made for Bastien, particularly the knitwear...here's a Bastien/Cucinelli zip up cardi:

459630394_pcx6S-L.jpg

- B

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I have a lot of affection for Borrelli Linosa/Sorrento jackets...here are some of mine:

508809900_yfcrA-L.jpg
503404764_Pm8ri-L.jpg
493328781_qPwMV-L.jpg

299631508_PsWF8-L.jpg
295163207_WYro8-L.jpg
373146314_N9GK2-L.jpg

I don't much like the more constructed Borrelli jackets, though. I have quite a lot of Borrelli shirts, but they date back ten years or more.

As for Cucinelli, I like some of the stuff made for Bastien, particularly the knitwear...here's a Bastien/Cucinelli zip up cardi:

459630394_pcx6S-L.jpg

- B

nice bill!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads