• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

jitkie

Reaction score
I know money doesn't grow on trees, but it almost seems silly to pull out of a GMTO just because the price will go from ~$691 to ~$717 USD. Percentage-wise it's a very small increase.

I do understand the bad taste it leaves in your mouth knowing the price could have been a tad lower. But still . . .
I completely agree with you on that, but the price increase is close approaching the threshold for custom tax in Australia - too close for comfort. I can't risk paying another 10% on top. I thought I could try to sneak one in before my wedding but alas the scheme didn't go as planned.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with you on that, but the price increase is close approaching the threshold for custom tax in Australia - too close for comfort. I can't risk paying another 10% on top. I thought I could try to sneak one in before my wedding but alas the scheme didn't go as planned.

Gotcha! Hadn't considered the import/custom fees (and did not know where you live).

ltjaw

Reaction score

Makes perfect sense. I hope you didn't understand my post as directed toward you in any way. I would never impugn a gentleman's reasons for deciding not to buy a luxury item, and I have had similar concerns about the $800 import duty cut off for me in the US. I have a sense that these MTO efforts can be pretty fragile, and I hope the March 1 increase doesn't tumble the house of cards.

Last edited:

jitkie

Reaction score

Makes perfect sense. I hope you didn't understand my post as directed toward you in any way. I would never impugn a gentleman's reasons for deciding not to buy a luxury item, and I have had similar concerns about the $800 import duty cut off for me in the US. I have a sense that these MTO efforts can be pretty fragile, and I hope the March 1 increase doesn't tumble the house of cards.

No offence taken. I am glad we can have a civilised conversation regarding thoughts and opinions. Oh how I wish I could continue with the GMTO! A pair of whiskey cordovan shoes is the ever fleeting dream...

wsohn

Reaction score
Hate to bug....

For the brown marlow wing tips can we get updates on the people who havent paid yet?

If any of you guys are having sizing problems etc maybe we can offer advice?

Or if you lost interest would be great to know ahead of time to see if we can squeeze in someone before the price hike.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the United States at least, Crockett and Jones mails the shoes with no receipt or pricing information on or in the package. I believe they declare the value as significantly lower than what you actually paid. They send you a receipt separately in a paper envelope.

Last edited:

Falu_al

Reaction score
@mosy @Caligula77@mkdd

Hello there Gents!

just writing to check if you may reconsider option 2, dainite sole, for the Brown Marlow PTB? If you do we would be able to bring this one in today completing our roster of 12.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Warlow 2.0 8.5E

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Warlow 2.0 8.5E
chip, it might just be the lighting, but your pair looks much closer to what I was envisioning/hoping for than mine! Edit: actually I think in direct sunlight ours are both very similar. Carry on.

Last edited:

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@mosy @Caligula77@mkdd

Hello there Gents!

just writing to check if you may reconsider option 2, dainite sole, for the Brown Marlow PTB? If you do we would be able to bring this one in today completing our roster of 12.

Sorry guys, can only do this if double leather. Thanks for checking in though.

smuj

Reaction score
Warlow 2.0 8.5E
These look great and renew my determination to stick with the Whiskey Cheviot. I hope it does the same for others as we have suffered a little haemorrhage of late. The Whiskey looks as I would expect in the sunshine. All shell looks very dark indoors IMO.

More specifically I think the welt looks great. Somebody had mentioned going for a natural welt as a point of difference from their other shoes. I still think the pictured brown (some call it antique) welt above looks better but I especially like the natural stitch detail. I think this makes the shoes different and helps in the absence of wheeling. I have this on a pair of Tricker's chukka and it looks great (originally a white stitch but a light scrim of tan polish immediately knocks it back a couple of shades).

I think we (or maybe its just me) appreciate C&J for their understated and sophisticated take on shoes. A bright natural welt looks better on other brands IMO. I think it is a 'pimp' too far for the heavily trad C&J. But I think the natural stitch is good and helps emphasise the craft in these shoes.

Can I propose the pictured brown welt/natural stitch combo for the Cheviot 2. It does look good and congrats to those that chose it for their Warlows. A bit jealous.

Skelnik

Reaction score
Waiting for the payment link from Lauren.

Lauren said we have 9 paid so far and she sent the last 3 World Pay links this morning so you must be one of those 3. After you make payment please mark the spreadsheet that you paid so we can keep a running tally. Thank you very much for staying involved and working to ensure we get this order in before the price increase. We all appreciate it. With any luck we can have this order going to the factory today.

Last edited:

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I have not participated in a Crockett and Jones GMTO before. I want to start a "Gianni" GMTO.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started?

Thanks in advance!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads