• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

tocohillsguy

Reaction score

Quote:
That's exactly what's going on. A couple folks here have confirmed this irregularity with C&J management.
No question CJ has confirmed this. I was definitively told that my 10.5D marlows would translate into 10E warlows. Unfortunately it's either inaccurate or at least not consistently accurate. I feel bad that I've passed on this incorrect information, but I've also been stung by it. I'm now convinced my warlows are a 1/2 size larger than my marlows. Not sure if l can exchange them or if I'll need to sell them, but I won't be wearing them. So sad. At least I now know what UK size I need for any future orders. Those whiskey PTBs are sounding sweet. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No question CJ has confirmed this. I was definitively told that my 10.5D marlows would translate into 10E warlows. Unfortunately it's either inaccurate or at least not consistently accurate. I feel bad that I've passed on this incorrect information, but I've also been stung by it. I'm now convinced my warlows are a 1/2 size larger than my marlows. Not sure if l can exchange them or if I'll need to sell them, but I won't be wearing them. So sad. At least I now know what UK size I need for any future orders. Those whiskey PTBs are sounding sweet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I got burned the same way. I think the length may be about the same, but the UK 8E Pembroke definitely is higher volume/wider than 8.5D Marlow.

Sorry about your outcome as well.

Falu_al

Reaction score
In relation to the previous posts about sizing, I wanted to share the information that Lauren shared with me as we where finalizing the Whiskey PTB GMTO.

As I own a few pairs of C&J in US sizing, I wanted to see what the US sizing would translate into UK

"In regards to the sizing that Barney’s sell this is a D fitting of their standard. With the UK sizing we tend to run half a size down from the fittings in Barney’s as they are with an E fitting in the UK sizes.

For example if the size in Barneys was a 9D it would work that in the UK sizes we would recommend a 8.5E."

On a side note, as@backin, i also own a pair of LWB BBBF. These are made on the 325 last, US 9D. I also own a pair of Cheviot 2, on the very same last but in UK size 8.5E. This is very subjectively, but my sense is that the Cheviot 2 is just tad larger in terms of volume than the BBBF. When tying the laces, you can see that the cheviot 2 (brown one) is on the verge of connecting. This is true for the fit of the entire shoe. A bit more room in the entire last but not necessarily the length: front, middle, and heel.

I would still not size all the way down to a UK 8, as they would become too short, but i reckon that's a matter of fit preference. C&J also offers soles and tongue pads to accommodate slightly more narrow feet. It could be worthwhile checking out.

smuj

Reaction score
Hi, seen your post late. I would deffo be up for a zug snowdon. I missed the last round.

There does not seem to be a decent zug veldtschoen boot on the market at the moment (only the Hogg which just looks like an army boot to me (and deffo made by Cheaney as they confirmed this when I was at the factory the other day)). Was considering a EG Galway in zug as they just confirmed this was possible but £1150 is an expensive boot!.

Let me know if you are still interested in the zug Snowdon. I could help coordinate if there was enough interest. I live 40 mins from the factory even.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An update on my sizing woes.

So I had purchased a pair of Pembrokes in 8E UK (the same size as my Lindrick and Warlow make ups). I had been planning on getting these shoes at some point (despite the redundancy with the Warlow, somewhat), but decided on a whim to buy them from Lauren/C&J last week in the hopes that it would confirm I had chosen correct sizes for my two GMTOs. Well, the Pembrokes arrived on Friday and unfortunately they were a bit too large. The width was perfectly fine (maybe even a hair wider than I need? I'm an E width in the US but not by a lot, I can do ok with D widths depending on the last), but the length (given the width) is too much. The shoe just feels very loose all around, especially with the high instep of the 325 last. I can put a medium thickness insole in with some good improvement of the fit, but they still feel big on me, and as a chunkier country brogue, the whole aesthetic is a bit oversized on me.

So, I figured 7.5E UK is probably the better size for me. In a bout of panic, I emailed Lauren over the weekend first to let her know I may have my sizing wrong, and then to ask about whether it was too late to change for the GMTOs. Then I started to think about what would happen if I did have a short window of time to change to 7.5E in the Warlow and Lindrick, but they ended up being too small/tight on me - I would kick myself for ever changing things!

So last night I emailed her and, as much as my wallet hates me right now, I ordered a pair of 7.5E UK Pembrokes to be shipped to me by the end of this week so I can try both the 8 and 7.5 on side by side and confirm which size I'd need. The great news is that Lauren tells me this morning that not only should the shoes be sent out today and arrive this week, but that I should still be able to edit my GMTO size by the end of the week! A logistical mess and I'll lose out a bit on shipping charges and such, but to me it's a small price to pay when I have so much invested in two very expensive (for me) GMTO orders for shoes I've coveted.

I've never been a huge stickler for having to have a 100% fitting shoe. Most of my experience is with Allen Edmonds, and although certain lasts seem to fit me better, I have some that are 8.5E, 9E, and even 9.5E that I use with an orthotic. Hell, my Dalton boots are 9EEE (9E would fit better, but with the orthotic much of the extra volume is taken up, and their last does not seem to be particularly "long" so they don't look or feel too big on me). Several pairs of AEs that I bought early in my shoe game have slightly sloppy fitting, but I've usually been able to fix this with a thin insole just fine. However, I figure if I'm going to be stepping up to a more expensive shoe(s), I should try to dial my size in more closely.

So, hopefully by mid/late week I will be able to finally shut the door on all this.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In relation to the previous posts about sizing, I wanted to share the information that Lauren shared with me as we where finalizing the Whiskey PTB GMTO.

As I own a few pairs of C&J in US sizing, I wanted to see what the US sizing would translate into UK

"In regards to the sizing that Barney’s sell this is a D fitting of their standard. With the UK sizing we tend to run half a size down from the fittings in Barney’s as they are with an E fitting in the UK sizes.

For example if the size in Barneys was a 9D it would work that in the UK sizes we would recommend a 8.5E."

On a side note, asbackin, i also own a pair of LWB BBBF. These are made on the 325 last, US 9D. I also own a pair of Cheviot 2, on the very same last but in UK size 8.5E. This is very subjectively, but my sense is that the Cheviot 2 is just tad larger in terms of volume than the BBBF. When tying the laces, you can see that the cheviot 2 (brown one) is on the verge of connecting. This is true for the fit of the entire shoe. A bit more room in the entire last but not necessarily the length: front, middle, and heel.

I would still not size all the way down to a UK 8, as they would become too short, but i reckon that's a matter of fit preference. C&J also offers soles and tongue pads to accommodate slightly more narrow feet. It could be worthwhile checking out.

Beautiful shoes. I have a similar issue as detailed above. I have the BBBF longwings (in tan/white, but otherwise the same shoe as your grey one) in "US 8.5D", and the Pembrokes in 8E I just bought are about the same length but seem notably wider/higher volume (despite the idea that the E UK and D US widths should be the same). So while the 8.5D BBBF works for me (it's a tad long, but the extra length allows for proper width without being TOO loose), the 8E Pembroke is both a tad long and a tad wide.

For me, I may actually have to go the next half size down in the 325 last for UK versions.

Skelnik

Reaction score

So I had purchased a pair of Pembrokes in 8E UK (the same size as my Lindrick and Warlow make ups). I had been planning on getting these shoes at some point (despite the redundancy with the Warlow, somewhat), but decided on a whim to buy them from Lauren/C&J last week in the hopes that it would confirm I had chosen correct sizes for my two GMTOs. Well, the Pembrokes arrived on Friday and unfortunately they were a bit too large. The width was perfectly fine (maybe even a hair wider than I need? I'm an E width in the US but not by a lot, I can do ok with D widths depending on the last), but the length (given the width) is too much. The shoe just feels very loose all around, especially with the high instep of the 325 last. I can put a medium thickness insole in with some good improvement of the fit, but they still feel big on me, and as a chunkier country brogue, the whole aesthetic is a bit oversized on me.

So, I figured 7.5E UK is probably the better size for me. In a bout of panic, I emailed Lauren over the weekend first to let her know I may have my sizing wrong, and then to ask about whether it was too late to change for the GMTOs. Then I started to think about what would happen if I did have a short window of time to change to 7.5E in the Warlow and Lindrick, but they ended up being too small/tight on me - I would kick myself for ever changing things!

So last night I emailed her and, as much as my wallet hates me right now, I ordered a pair of 7.5E UK Pembrokes to be shipped to me by the end of this week so I can try both the 8 and 7.5 on side by side and confirm which size I'd need. The great news is that Lauren tells me this morning that not only should the shoes be sent out today and arrive this week, but that I should still be able to edit my GMTO size by the end of the week! A logistical mess and I'll lose out a bit on shipping charges and such, but to me it's a small price to pay when I have so much invested in two very expensive (for me) GMTO orders for shoes I've coveted.

I've never been a huge stickler for having to have a 100% fitting shoe. Most of my experience is with Allen Edmonds, and although certain lasts seem to fit me better, I have some that are 8.5E, 9E, and even 9.5E that I use with an orthotic. Hell, my Dalton boots are 9EEE (9E would fit better, but with the orthotic much of the extra volume is taken up, and their last does not seem to be particularly "long" so they don't look or feel too big on me). Several pairs of AEs that I bought early in my shoe game have slightly sloppy fitting, but I've usually been able to fix this with a thin insole just fine. However, I figure if I'm going to be stepping up to a more expensive shoe(s), I should try to dial my size in more closely.

So, hopefully by mid/late week I will be able to finally shut the door on all this.

I am in a similar predicament with sizing and may need to order a couple of pair to nail it down. I was concerned with shipping costs back to the UK. Will you tell me which carrier you use to ship back to Lauren?

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in a similar predicament with sizing and may need to order a couple of pair to nail it down. I was concerned with shipping costs back to the UK. Will you tell me which carrier you use to ship back to Lauren?

I sure will, once I figure it all out. The Pembrokes were sent to me via UPS; not sure if I will be sending them back via UPS as well. I will probably ask Lauren if she has either a preference or knows of the pros/cons of other shipping carriers.

Like you said, shipping costs can add up. But what's another $50 or whatever when it might mean the difference between having two pairs of well fitting $700-800 (USD) shoes and having about $1500 worth of paperweights? In a perfect world I would have already dialed in my size on the UK sizing/width system for C&J specifically prior to plunging into two GMTOs, but no one ever accused me of being patient and sensible.

schmallo15

Reaction score
To add some more anecdotal evidence to the discussion:

I am a 9E on the brannock and previously owned both the 8.5D and 9D Ralph Lauren Marlow. 9D were too big and the heel too wide. 8.5D were not wide enough in the forefoot but the length was fine. I ended up selling both.

I already owned a pair of 8E UK Skye on the 335 last and Lauren recommended the 8E UK for the Warlow as well even after my feedback on my Marlow difficulties. I just received my Warlow today and the fit for me is perfect in both length and width. I believe my experience is in general alignment with other folks here. To me, there is no question that these Warlow are wider than the corresponding Ralph Lauren Marlow in 8.5D.

So....is anyone thinking of another C&J GMTO? :embar:

Last edited:

Skelnik

Reaction score
To add some more anecdotal evidence to the discussion:

I am a 9E on the brannock and previously owned both the 8.5D and 9D Ralph Lauren Marlow. 9D were too big and the heel too wide. 8.5D were not wide enough in the forefoot but the length was fine. I ended up selling both.

I already owned a pair of 8E UK Skye on the 335 last and Lauren recommended the 8E UK for the Warlow as well even after my feedback on my Marlow difficulties. I just received my Warlow today and the fit for me is perfect in both length and width. I believe my experience is in general alignment with other folks here. To me, there is no question that these Warlow are wider than the corresponding Ralph Lauren Marlow in 8.5D.

So....is anyone thinking of another C&J GMTO?
shog[1].gif

I would love to get in on a new GMTO for Lindricks if one is started.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thats really great you can still change your size! Hopefully this helps anyone else who is concerned about sizing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads