• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

g.michael

Reaction score
For various reasons (mostly fit) I have decided to finally part with my 3 pairs of RL cordovan shoes--wingtips, PTB and penny loafer--all in 10D. I have the wings on the bay right now for anyone who is interested.

they are such great looking shoes but I'm tired of trying to make a D width work with my B width feet.:violin:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yikes, last night I was brushing my new Lindricks (only worn 3 times around the office and house) and on the vamp of the right shoe where a roll is forming I noticed what looked to be rough bumps come out and what seemed to be the finish coming off. It looked oddly similar to what a few people posted about rough/dry cordovan. I think I saw some Gianni and Marlow pics in here that were similar to what I experienced last night.

I did not stop to take a pic but I treated with some Reno (currently waiting on Saphir cordovan cream) and gently brushed then wiped them down, it looks better but I will have to keep an eye on it. Pretty disappointing as I was only following the Mac Method so far. I hope it does not turn into anything serious and I can keep it in check with the cordovan cream once it arrives.

I think I will stick to very minimal brushing from now on and maybe just use a soft cloth to buff them every once and a while.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burzan, thanks for sharing your experience. Recent testimonials convinced me not to brush my c&j shell. I only use a damp cloth and buff with a cotton rag. I will try not to use products on them either.
Has anyone applied alden defender to c&j shell?

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is bloom coming out of the shell. Take a damp cloth and wipe it off. Then brush and buff.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is bloom coming out of the shell. Take a damp cloth and wipe it off. Then brush and buff.

I will give that a try next time it see it occur. I do hope that is all that it was but they looked like NAMORs pair of Giannis after brushing them but mine was on the vamp. Maybe he can chime in on how/if he found it to be bloom or found a solid remedy. He never claimed it to be bloom and stated he now avoids brushing that area from everything I could find from him while doing a quick search.

Gianni after brushing with and without flash

hey i was kidding. the dryness really is a p in the a but im resigned to just live with it; keeping it conditioned with saphir while not brushing the problem area as the bristles to aggravate the surface. fortunately for us the problem is on the shaft and not the well-worn vamp.

edit-bubba i was trying to be completely unhelpful with my initial post but look what you made me do. tisk

Last edited:

dcinitial

Reaction score
Burzan, thanks for sharing your experience. Recent testimonials convinced me not to brush my c&j shell. I only use a damp cloth and buff with a cotton rag. I will try not to use products on them either.
Has anyone applied alden defender to c&j shell?

I've experienced dryness in the creases as well and I dont think its bloom. Thus far I've just reno'd the area and brushed and buffed and waiting to see what happens.

Though Mdubs posted his "solution" a few months back: http://www.styleforum.net/t/268417/...ran-lindrick-mccallum-rhett/4155#post_6754462. Curious if the dry area has come back. Maybe he can chime in.

I've actually applied Alden defender on my shell lindricks last week. What would you like to know?

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've experienced dryness in the creases as well and I dont think its bloom. Thus far I've just reno'd the area and brushed and buffed and waiting to see what happens.

Though Mdubs posted his "solution" a few months back: http://www.styleforum.net/t/268417/...ran-lindrick-mccallum-rhett/4155#post_6754462. Curious if the dry area has come back. Maybe he can chime in.

I've actually applied Alden defender on my shell lindricks last week. What would you like to know?

Just curious to know if you had a positive experience before I try it. I'm hesitant to do much to c&j shell besides damp cloth and cotton buff.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've experienced dryness in the creases as well and I dont think its bloom. Thus far I've just reno'd the area and brushed and buffed and waiting to see what happens.

I've actually applied Alden defender on my shell lindricks last week. What would you like to know?

Just curious to know if you had a positive experience before I try it. I'm hesitant to do much to c&j shell besides damp cloth and cotton buff.

I have applied Defender to C&J shell without incident.

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8109604465_466cb99262_b.jpg

How often are people using reno on their shoes. Feel like my wingtips are drying out super fast despite maybe 1 wear every 10 days?

Great collections

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yep no noticeable adverse effects. SFTG - have you noticed the defender working ?

TBH, with respect to this boot, I have never been in inclement weather to "test" it.

On another note (cross-post from C&J thread), can anyone speak to the differences in sizing/feel of the 325 v 335 lasts?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I will give that a try next time it see it occur. I do hope that is all that it was but they looked like NAMORs pair of Giannis after brushing them but mine was on the vamp. Maybe he can chime in on how/if he found it to be bloom or found a solid remedy. He never claimed it to be bloom and stated he now avoids brushing that area from everything I could find from him while doing a quick search.

NAMOR ties his laces around the boot where the bloom is coming up. ^  Wipe Brush Buff

Sorry to hear that Burzan. From the sound off it both you and I are afflicted with dry shell, fortunately for me the affected area is less visible at the middle shaft. The photo you quoted shows the affected area and it appears as a light brown/tan and feels like sandpaper to the touch. Does this compare to your experience with the troubled vamp area? Chipshot pointed out that i lace my shows around the shaft which I do. However the lacing doesnt contribute to the dryness. In fact, if you look at very top of the shaft, you can see where the laces lines have pressed into the cordovan, this area is about 2 inches higher than the affected area. I did get a spell of bloom but it was a few inches away from affected area; it was a welcome sight. I treat by boots with either reno or venetian and brush the vamp, leaving parts of the shaft unbrushed. i might go over it with a soft cloth in a circular motion. Treating this area is a bit tricky because a normal brush actually aggravates this problem so I avoid brushing that area altogether. Actually I avoided brushing all together this last round

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads