• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a good cobbler in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area who does recessed metal taps. I sent a couple pair of Marrlows back to Crocett & Jones NY to have done and they charge $60 per pair. Then you have the long wait with shipping back and forth with additional shipping costs/insurance.

I call local cobblers and ask if they do recessed or flush mounted metal taps and they don't have a clue as to what I am talking about. I hear Nicky B or V's NYC is around $35 a pair.

Crockett & Jones use a tap called a LULU from France I believe and they don't have to cut the toe stitching. Help! Even an LA guy would work better than NY.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bucksfan

Reaction score

I'm a perfect 11.5 D on the AE 5 last. Not sure if these would be too big. Worth a shot? I guess we'll see how high the price goes.

I'm 12d on the 5 last, and got these in 12d. The fit is great. The sole is pretty stiff, but once broken in I get no heel slip.

Snedley

Reaction score
Sure, but most cobblers butcher the leather sole before gluing the Topy on.

Remove the Topy and you have a few millimeters off the bottom of the sole plus penetration of glue into the leather.

It is also impossible to tell whether or not the "cobbler" has disturbed the stitching because the Topy is glued over it.

This is the perfect way to turn a premium $850 shoe into a $300 special. The "cobbler" who did this should be taken out into a back alley and shot!

A real mess.

Leather soles need a good dressing of "Ledersohlenöl" to prepare them for wear if you want a sole to remain healthy and resistant to excessive wear. See http://www.burgol.de/products/ledersohlenoel

Every shoe I have bought and put that product on from before first use has had a major reduction in wear to the sole, an increase in the life of the sole and an improved ability to flex without disturbing the upper.

Not only that, but when the first layer of sole is worn sufficiently it becomes possible to resole with a "Daenite" if you really want a rubber bottom sole.

Daenite at least simulates natural leather reasonably well, Topy does not.

Those Marlows are basically no better than second hand now, and $250 - $300.00 is about the value of a good second hand pair.
Sure, you can use that sole oil for $35 a bottle or just use Kiwi Mink Oil for $3. I've been rubbing it into the leather soles of my shoes for 40 years. Perhaps 2-3 times a year. Even if you don't want to use it on the shoe itself it's good to help waterproof the leather soles and keep them supple.

mrpo0nani

Reaction score
I wear a 7.5D on the barrie last is it regular that when I tried on an 8.5 it fit better than the 8?

What's stretch like on these? Thanks.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ they have. I had a pair with a similar issue. I believe it's a commonality amoungst all the RL ptbs. I've never seen it with any other make/model

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Marlow seems to have dried up a little bit and I could see some minor water spots (yes, I did wear them under light rain once or twice.)

What is the best way to get rid of the water spots and restore the suppleness?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My Marlow seems to have dried up a little bit and I could see some minor water spots (yes, I did wear them under light rain once or twice.)
What is the best way to get rid of the water spots and restore the suppleness?

Try brushing with a horsehair brush, and then smoothing the leather with a deer bone. Both things can be bought at A Suitable Wardrobe's store.

Lacking a deer bone, you can more or less get the same effect with the curved side of a metal spoon.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try brushing with a horsehair brush, and then smoothing the leather with a deer bone. Both things can be bought at A Suitable Wardrobe's store.
Lacking a deer bone, you can more or less get the same effect with the curved side of a metal spoon.

Thank you. Will give that a try....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads