• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
the purpose of wearing shoes inside for a few hours is to get some flex in the sole. if you don't, you can get some uneven wear on the sole (and pretty harsh wear) because you're dragging them as you walk.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can see the use with loafers and maybe dress shoes on double leather and dainite. Its overkill for Flex-welt, single leather and boots, IMO. I don't think it hurts to err on the side of caution, maybe 6 months isn't even long enough. I mean I once slept in a new pair of Marlows and I thought their was something wrong with me. The following day I felt so alone, innadeqaute, dirty even but now I know I'm not alone. I've been suffering from Mac break-in method all along

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's hard to tell since I only spent a single night. But I hear for best results, it's a good idea to live with the shoe for at least a year before committing to it, provided the return policy allows for it

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
It's hard to tell since I only spent a single night. But I hear for best results, it's a good idea to live with the shoe for at least a year before committing to it, provided the return policy allows for it

HaHa... Yeah, my big problem was actually something else. I bought about 4-5 pairs of shells at around the same time and so I was breaking them in one at a time... But the biggest delay that I had was debating if I should get toe taps or not and then researching the different types of toe taps. I tend to "bump" my toes quite a bit as it turns out... I have decided to pass on toe taps for the time being... The toe tap debate was actually my biggest delay... I only wear my new shells around the office 2-3 times for a few hours to make sure that they fit and to help soften the sole. $600+ is a lot of money for shoes, so I tend to error on the cautious side (figured that it couldn't hurt)...

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
First day out...

-Mike

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice lookin' Marlows my friend. I like the lighter shade that you have. Did it start out as dark brown and develop that patina?? Enjoy and wear often and in great health mdubs!

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks good mdubs. You seem to have a well matched pair. Both my wingtips and penny loafers are mismatched where one shoe is just slightly darker than the other.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone wants to know, my story ended with a pair of Alden 975, for the simple reason that it fit me better. Very happy with my purchase!

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If anyone wants to know, my story ended with a pair of Alden 975, for the simple reason that it fit me better. Very happy with my purchase!
Outstanding acquisition sir. Either way you were going to be a winner. If you take good care your 975's will last decades. Post some pics ASAP.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads