• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
The space in question:

36B48B3C-E65B-4616-BF75-F8FB3F8957A5.jpeg

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The place needs lights of all sorts, else it will be quite dark, it seems. What is the blue tape for?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm having trouble understanding what you need. Will the new hanging fixture be positioned in the same spot as the current one? Or do you want it over the stairs and below the rail to light the stairwell?

lefty

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I'm having trouble understanding what you need. Will the new hanging fixture be positioned in the same spot as the current one? Or do you want it over the stairs and below the rail to light the stairwell?

lefty

Same location.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The grouping of 6 seemed a bit small to me; it’s also on a linear
rather than a circular base. The 9 hangs on a 24” circular base.

The recessed lighting will provide additional illumination over the base of the steps and at the far end of the hall from the chandelier, as well as a couple of spotlights for art.
I see. Thank you for the photo too; that helps.

I like lamp groupings, actually, but I still wonder if that might be a lot of "stuff" up there, in 9' of width only. Basically 3' clear + 3' lamps + 3' clear? Pretty tight, imo. Maybe mock up the actual grouping size and hang it up there?

If you think a single pendant might work also, a beautiful, elegant lamp which would fit the "Victorian/Modern" aesthetic very well imo is a Flos Brera "S" (Sospensione) by Castiglioni. It is no longer being produced/sold by Flos, unfortunately, but I do still see examples around for sale from time to time.

8a97e06d-ed8b-46d3-aa95-b0943ba32672-original.jpg

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
imatlas: I found the ET2 9 fixture you are referring to, the "ET2 PUFFS 9-LIGHT PENDANT // E21127-11WT", with a diameter of 24.5" as you wrote above.

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales.../et2-puffs-9-light-pendant-e21127-11wt?open=1

Here is that fixture "placed" in your stair landing photo, with the disc scaled at 24.5" diameter.

Since you wrote that the landing is 9' wide, each of the red verticals is spaced at 3' oc, to give you a sense of scale.

d8544afc-8662-4a9d-94bb-fa6b45038c80-original.jpg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I see. Thank you for the photo too; that helps.

I like lamp groupings, actually, but I still wonder if that might be a lot of "stuff" up there, in 9' of width only. Basically 3' clear + 3' lamps + 3' clear? Pretty tight, imo. Maybe mock up the actual grouping size and hang it up there?

If you think a single pendant might work also, a beautiful, elegant lamp which would fit the "Victorian/Modern" aesthetic very well imo is a Flos Brera "S" (Sospensione) by Castiglioni. It is no longer being produced/sold by Flos, unfortunately, but I do still see examples around for sale from time to time.

8a97e06d-ed8b-46d3-aa95-b0943ba32672-original.jpg

That’s quite nice, thanks

imatlas: I found the ET2 9 fixture you are referring to, the "ET2 PUFFS 9-LIGHT PENDANT // E21127-11WT", with a diameter of 24.5" as you wrote above.

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales.../et2-puffs-9-light-pendant-e21127-11wt?open=1

Here is that fixture "placed" in your stair landing photo, with the disc scaled at 24.5" diameter.

Since you wrote that the landing is 9' wide, each of the red verticals is spaced at 3' oc, to give you a sense of scale.

d8544afc-8662-4a9d-94bb-fa6b45038c80-original.jpg

Nicely done, thanks

Looks pretty good to me :)

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Are those lights that small? Either way, I don't think that looks great.

It's an awkward spot as the light doesn't really belong to the stairs or the hall. It's also vertically tight for a pendant and the nine globes set in a linear plate would eat up a lot of visual space, especially if they are in a line over the rail.

If you have to do a pendant I would pick a single and centre it over the stairs to connect it to one of the spaces. I would also consider something translucent that doesn't take up too much visual space when on or off. This would also allow to cheat the drop a little; always a good idea in a pendant.

Niche might be able to bridge victorian/modern.

http://shop.nichemodern.com/modern-...576f6975|d4e84aa0-7ba2-428c-b6c5-6d7fe28c736b

Good luck.

lefty

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s quite nice, thanks

Nicely done, thanks

Looks pretty good to me :)
Glad to help.

Not that you asked me, so grain/salt, but I find the scale of the individual lamps to be too small, and the scale of the support disc to be too large otoh, for that space, from that mock-up.

A 7.5" high lamp is not much. Plus, LED light....

Would you have the disc painted to match the ceiling, or leave it original (it looks like cold grey in the photo I found)? What will the color palette be, in the entire space?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Are those lights that small? Either way, I don't think that looks great.

It's an awkward spot as the light doesn't really belong to the stairs or the hall. It's also vertically tight for a pendant and the nine globes set in a linear plate would eat up a lot of visual space, especially if they are in a line over the rail.

If you have to do a pendant I would pick a single and centre it over the stairs to connect it to one of the spaces. I would also consider something translucent that doesn't take up too much visual space when on or off. This would also allow to cheat the drop a little; always a good idea in a pendant.

Good luck.

lefty
I agree with what lefty writes.

Here is the Flos "Brera S", as an example of a single pendant, also scaled to fit your image (the lamp is 6" D x 11" T), centered over the stair itself (as well as aligned with the center-line of the door on the far right...if that is in fact the front door?). The main thing it is centered over the stair as its primary space, and so becomes a primary reference in that space as one turns the corner from below and ascends.

c6f21386-941e-4ffc-a102-4708123555cb-original.jpg

PS:
Here is the Piero della Francesca painting (Pala di Brera) that inspired Castiglioni.

300px-Piero_della_Francesca_046.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brera_Madonna

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with lefty about doing a single light pendant. For that size space, I'd lean to one oversize fixture vs. a cluster of smaller ones.

Also, high five for a PdF reference.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, that mock up is cool.

My assumption is that the gallery is the hallway wall. If so, then a line of recessed lighting with some directional lights centred on the hall would balance the stair light and provide enough general lighting.

I'm about to start a renovation and know how frustrating this stuff is.

Good luck, imatlas.

lefty

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with lefty about doing a single light pendant. For that size space, I'd lean to one oversize fixture vs. a cluster of smaller ones.

I agree. Just replace the existing light with something nicer, perhaps something that's wider / more horizontal so that it sheds light over more of the different spaces - both down the stairs and on the landing.

But that's a horribly complicated and cramped space to light.

That other option is use several sources of backlighting or sconces, on the wall as you down the stairs and at the top on the wall opposite (which we can't see), but this depends on where the windows are.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with what lefty writes.

Here is the Flos "Brera S", as an example of a single pendant, also scaled to fit your image (the lamp is 6" D x 11" T), centered over the stair itself (as well as aligned with the center-line of the door on the far right...if that is in fact the front door?). The main thing it is centered over the stair as its primary space, and so becomes a primary reference in that space as one turns the corner from below and ascends.

c6f21386-941e-4ffc-a102-4708123555cb-original.jpg

PS:
Here is the Piero della Francesca painting (Pala di Brera) that inspired Castiglioni.

300px-Piero_della_Francesca_046.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brera_Madonna
I also prefer a single pendant but this just looks too small (on the mock-up) for that space and volume. I'd go with something bigger and little more dramatic. The space needs something exciting there.

I can't imagine recommending a particular fixture though without a better understanding or view of the rest of the place's style and design choices.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, high five for a PdF reference.
Fortunately I have seen that painting irl many times (it is incredible), and have a little framed copy of it in my studio, one of my most loved possessions. It is very old now, as it was my father's copy for most of his life. He was a PdF expert, and friend of the Lavins. I was very lucky to hear some great stories from that group.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads