• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've begun working on a cabinet in my spare time, this one features a fold down desktop to serve as a workspace when needed and to remain out of the way when it's no longer needed.

Check out the work shown here
https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/2016/05/07/the-butlers-desk/

C6066010-064D-4BD7-8633-37F7FE48FDED_zpslumg5a7t.jpg

C807B51D-F668-486C-8C58-C32605F29C53_zpszu9tbqzi.jpg

BD01BA89-CC8C-485E-A202-23CA364E8D58_zpspbw8qq1y.jpg

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I like the look of that. Skinny, how much would you charge to build something like that with your attention to detail? I am sure it's pretty well made but I feel like 3k would go a long way with a local craftsmen too.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So it's harder for me to duplicate something engineered around a totally different type of material (plywood) than it is to simply start over with a similar goal in mind and create my own design that works around solid wood and has all the desired features.

If Moo wanted to go that route I would design for him and give him pricing. However, being a custom piece made on the opposite side of the country and basically non-replaceable I'd want to plan out the logistics before proceeding.

I know this isn't the question that you're really asking, but you know how I roll.

To answer your question, a local guy could likely duplicate it but you may find that buying a lesser-known danish piece is less expensive than building new and custom made.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I actually thought about asking SG for a quote a couple of weeks ago :embar:

The R&B piece I mentioned is actually 90% solid wood according to the site:

"We source our solid woods within the U.S., which has some of the strictest forestry standards in the world. Every board is hand selected for color consistency and strategically placed to create a cohesive appearance. The natural markings of the wood make each Hudson piece one of a kind. Hudson is constructed entirely from solid wood, except for the back panel and drawer box bottoms. Exterior back panels are unfinished wood veneer, while visible interior backs are finished wood veneer that matches the piece."

brokencycle

Reaction score
I actually thought about asking SG for a quote a couple of weeks ago
shog[1].gif

"We source our solid woods within the U.S., which has some of the strictest forestry standards in the world. Every board is hand selected for color consistency and strategically placed to create a cohesive appearance. The natural markings of the wood make each Hudson piece one of a kind. Hudson is constructed entirely from solid wood, except for the back panel and drawer box bottoms. Exterior back panels are unfinished wood veneer, while visible interior backs are finished wood veneer that matches the piece."

Per the website, and I've seen them in person, they're solid wood for everything buy the drawer bottoms.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I actually thought about asking SG for a quote a couple of weeks ago :embar:

Appreciate the thought.

IMO, They're laying it on a little thick there...that's a very long way of saying that they're doing glue-up panels with some basic selection process involved. The backs are likely veneer over MDF, but they might be veneer over ply, either way is fine and quite acceptable.

They're also saying that they aren't consistent piece to piece, so the end user will have to live with some variegation. I also think that's quite fine, the alternative for most manufacturers is to stain the walnut with a 'toner' that makes it all look the same and removes the look of the sapwood. Only the top top manufacturers are going to be able to price mature growth lumber into their product or at the very least VG lumber (vertical grain) and leave it unstained, so they're smart to basically say 'there is variegation, live with it'.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not as artisanal as SG, but I do like to build my own stuff when I can. Just picked up these to build cabinets and closets for my remodel:

The plan is for 3/4" prefinished plywood carcasses with solid walnut face frames.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That festool saw is great, I have one for roughing out. Get a couple blades for it if you are cutting anything heavier than 4/4 solid wood then you'll need a rip blade. The combination blade will burn anything thicker than 4/4 (and 4/4 often enough). The combo blade is awesome in plywood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads