• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came here about 2 years ago to complain about my wife's cat coming to live with us, her not wanting to declaw him, and my worry about him destroying all of my stuff, plus I just did not like cats. Fast forward to today and he is my best bud, we hang out together, play fetch, he sits halfway on my shoulder like a parrot when we watch TV. I'm also so glad we didn't declaw after reading how painful it would be. We put nail caps on him and all of our stuff has remained unharmed. I can't speak about all cats, but I can say that at least one of them is awesome.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very into this chair

http://deconlinestore.com/en/swivel-chair-patchwork.html#.VbVr6zuCOnP

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too near a furniture district and I'll piss bowling balls before I pay 14k for something my cats are going to eventually mar up.

Get rid of the cats...

Cat leather, FTW.

Want leather. :(

Well, Ikea has leather sectionals and I'm sure they are well under 7k, probably more like 2-3. It's not the greatest construction and the leather is meh, with a lot of panels. On the other hand, it's 2-3K and, despite what you may have read in this thread, furniture is a wasting asset.

Especially if you have cats.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that having children or pets wouldn't affect the furniture decisions one makes, regardless of endless streams of money.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before my daughter was born (7.5 years) ago we bought a sofa for the occasion. My friend w 2 kids recommended something I would throw in the garbage in 4-5 years and a color that went with puke.

It has been replaced.

We also rescued 2 kittens 2 years ago. The Womb chair w Cato did get a little early patina.

Kids and pets are a fast track to tears or becoming a Wabi Sabi Master.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I find it hard to believe that having children or pets wouldn't affect the furniture decisions one makes, regardless of endless streams of money.

Before my daughter was born (7.5 years) ago we bought a sofa for the occasion. My friend w 2 kids recommended something I would throw in the garbage in 4-5 years and a color that went with puke.

It has been replaced.

We also rescued 2 kittens 2 years ago. The Womb chair w Cato did get a little early patina.

Maybe the trick is to buy stuff worth reupholstering.

twistoffat

Reaction score

It has been replaced.

Have both Kids and cats. Both couches we have were covered with a similar colour throw until the kids could learn to actually eat chocolate and ice-cream before it melted.
The cat left marks all over an LC4 so after having it for 14 years I gave it to a friend. It still looked well just scratch marks on close inspection....I was tired of it anyway.
I think if you have a cat leather is worse but older cats are less likely to use their claws. Cat hairs are a bigger problem...requires more vacuuming.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if you have a cat leather is worse but older cats are less likely to use their claws. Cat hairs are a bigger problem...requires more vacuuming.

Yes. Cats + leather = scratches, but on the positive side, less vacuuming of furniture required. Cats + fabric furniture = lots of brushing or vacuuming.

Thankfully, we have wooden floors and a Roomba, so vacuuming the floor is quick and simple.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads