• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That looks to nice to work on.

Thanks!

been enjoying the wood sale?

Oh yeah! It was the motivation needed to start this project. I sourced the veneers for the door panels from another source that specializes in rare veneers. Locally it's very hard to find anyone with enough of a rare veneer to do an entire project through and through.

I used the same place to source veneers for the back of a bookcase, the guy gets some incredible stuff.

I would hate to set a single metal tool down on that surface!

Only the first scratch hurts, after that it's resigned to it's fate of acquiring 'patina'.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
My first thought was "beautiful! Now it's time to beat it up."

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks to the SF site bot, I now realize there's a furniture thread here. Been spending my time at the thrift thread. Table above reminded me of one I made almost 10 years ago. Well actually, when I found the picture, I realized there are more differences than similarities, but I thought I'd share anyways. [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] While I'm in the mood to brag, an office I built a while ago. I hand cut and laid up the Makore veneer so it follows the curve of the top, bought a 16'x7' vacuum bag just for the project. The top as you can see goes all the way around the back and ends at the wall with the window. It has only one joint. What isn't makore is birdseye maple, glass or stainless.
Very nice, how many hours did you put into that?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On the table about 30
On the office about 100
These were done when I had a very large, well tooled shop.

Thanks for asking!

Can only imagine what something like that go for on the open market then. So here's a question: if I have a large maple credenza with a maple veneer top, and I want to change the color to white, is it necessary to strip and sand it before I paint it? Or perhaps paint isn't the right way to go? The unit is basically brand new and I scooped it up since it was a floor model (made by Skovby of denmark). Catalog pic here, this is the exact color I have:

L_SM68_SM83_SM80.jpg

Last edited:

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to buy this bike stand (online store please)

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^Most likely you can scuff and paint. By paint, I mean catalyzed lacquer, sprayed. But if you don't have the equipment/means, do what you can, there's a thousand ways to do it.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^Most likely you can scuff and paint.  By paint, I mean catalyzed lacquer, sprayed.  But if you don't have the equipment/means, do what you can, there's a thousand ways to do it.

What do you mean by scuff, is that just roughing up the veneer?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to buy this bike stand (online store please)

Distributed by Shimano in the US. Here is a quick search for $30 in silver or black: http://www.artscyclery.com/PRO_Bike_Stand/descpage-SHPROBKST.html?gclid=CLevo6i07LoCFUMV7AodEkUAow

Also to note it was the first bike stand to pop up when I searched Google for bike stand. That could be because I searched Google Images to try to find to source of the picture but most were just Flikr's for the Colnago bike itself.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you vero much! PRO BIKE STAND that's it! I'll have to learn searching for images

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by scuff, is that just roughing up the veneer?
Yes, anywhere from 220 to 400 grit, higher than that you're not doing enough, lower than that, you'll see the scratches in the final finish. You won't be touching the veneer, unless that is unfinished, you will be giving the top coat something to bite into. The new finish needs some scratches to stick to, because it likely won't chemically bond with the existing finish. If you're doing it with sandpaper by hand and not a random orbit sander, remember to follow the grain of the wood.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thank you vero much! PRO BIKE STAND that's it! I'll have to learn searching for images

FWIW, I have a stand like this:
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/sunlite-bottom-bracket-type-bicycle-display-stand

I like it...holds the wheel off the ground so you can still spin the wheels and make gear/brake adjustments. I have a real Park Tools work stand now, but I still use this stand as a portable work stand and it is handy to bring outside when washing the bike.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

swapping the grey rug in the living room for this:

metropolis-rug.jpg

I suppose it is an improvement, but I think it is too cartoonishly, generically mid-century modern. I think think a solid, shaggy rug like what you had before--but you need it in a differeny color. Mottled grey would be great. Highly versatile, helps tie together your stuff, and child-friendly.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
polymshamy